Thank you, Photobucket !!!

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Re: Thank you, Photobucket !!!

Postby MickT » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 am

Hi Graham,

Sorry you've been nobbled by botophuket as well!

Here's my advice at least for the interim:

1. Only upload COPIES of any images you want to post and keep the originals on your own PC (with backups to external hard disk, "pen" or DVD's or all of them!! For convenience I personally keep my images in folders on my PC but keep the them and the reports I do backed up on DVD's. Periodically (not often enough!) I back up all my data folder by folder onto an external hard drive for added peace of mind.

2. I have migrated myself onto Imgur for the simple reason that I find Flickr, which most people seem to prefer, to be cumbersome and in my case impossible to log in to! I tried to register an account and learned that as I'm registered into Yahoo, then I am already automatically registered on Flickr. However when I tried to log in using my flickr user name and password I was told it was incorrect, so in the end I lost patience and tried Imgur out based on recommendations from others.

3. Registration is very easy and straightforward the only difficulty I experienced was convincing the process that I am not a robot, but I got there in the end after 3 attempts! Once registered, I have found it to be very smooth and easy to use, quick and clear. Imgur have confirmed to people who have queried with them that they are fine with using it to host photos for posting on forums, they don't allow commercial usage which includes hosting photos for use on eBay etc.

4. I've used it already a number of times on NGRM and found that photos can be posted from very clear and straightforward copy of BB code via a selection window that opens with each photo and pasted into the forum. Recommended provided you take the common sense precaution of keeping your original images safe!

Hope this helps a bit

Mick

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:23 am

Hi all,
I noticed in passing today when reviewing my Randim Stackum & Wrackem thread that one of the photos in that posting has turned into a PB black blob. Unfortunately that photo was by Steve Bennett. I suspect that all Steve's photos across this forum (and there are a lot of them) have gone the same way. This will have punched as enormous hole in the knowledge base of this forum. THANK YOU PHOTOB####IT - I don't think....
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am

I have been trying to research a vehicle model project. Google identified lots of hits across numerous websites unfortunately when I go to them all the pictures the pictures have been Photobucketed. Just makes you realise just how many photos they were hosting.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Oztrainz wrote:Hi all,
I noticed in passing today when reviewing my Randim Stackum & Wrackem thread that one of the photos in that posting has turned into a PB black blob. Unfortunately that photo was by Steve Bennett. I suspect that all Steve's photos across this forum (and there are a lot of them) have gone the same way. This will have punched as enormous hole in the knowledge base of this forum. THANK YOU PHOTOB####IT - I don't think....

Sod, damn and bugger!

I don't often swear online but I've just checked the last posts that Steve did and it looks as if he used P Bucket right to the end, so everything's gone.

Gloom :evil: :twisted:

Return to “Blether”