A couple of films well worth a look.

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

A couple of films well worth a look.

Postby Broadoak » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:18 pm

I have found a couple of videos, that are not railway related but worth a look. They feature the river Thames which I remember as a young lad with much affection. The river was so busy in those far off days with tugs and lighters and larger ships down river in the dock area. I was fascinated by the lee boards on the sailing barges which were still in use in the fifties.
Today to my mind at least the river is rather clean and clinical nowadays and not nearly so interesting with most of the traffic being glass fibre river busses.
I was first taken on a trip to Greenwhich in the mid fifties by my father on a river bus from Charing Cross pier. There was a commentary on the boat pointing out things of interest I seem to remember. The whole river was alive and bustling with craft of all sorts from the flat iron colliers to small river tugs towing strings of lighters.

Both films are well worth a look as they show scenes that cannot be seen today.

My apologies if this has been posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NObu5VXfTVI Colour 1935

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19dFHTX5cw River transport 1950-59

Regards Peter M
Peter M

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Re: A couple of films well worth a look.

Postby southpier » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:35 pm

nice find. lots of good ideas & inspiration. some of the best model railroad layouts I have seen actually minimize the railroad to realistic emphasis and create a small world.

Return to “Blether”