Take my Lightning but Don't steal my Thunder

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Take my Lightning but Don't steal my Thunder

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:22 pm

Take my Lightning but Don't steal my Thunder, was created by the artist Alex Chinneck, who is well known for creating optical illusions.

Visited this construction on Tuesday, it certainly is a clever piece of engineering, not really an illusion, just basic maths. :wink:

So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:56 pm

I'm assuming the support framework is in the green bit on the side (nothing else seems to be in contact with the upper part). Is the top just carved foam like my old layout/a film set? If it was light enough then it shouldn't be too difficult. Visually impressive though.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:29 am

later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:31 am

Aslo http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/ ... float.html

Oh come on, what's with that total bullshit?
You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:51 am

Willow Creek Traction wrote:Aslo http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/ ... float.html

Oh come on, what's with that total bullshit?
You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

It's a timer to stop spambots from flooding the forum
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:27 am

I find it frustrating when I have made a spelling error, but it only delays me a short while.
Saw the article in last week's news. It is very clever and used ideas we probably use in our models, namely lightweight material, covered to make it look more solid and heavier. The shed on the side is the key to it, but they also had to make sure the old stone cobbles were not damaged.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Blether”