Future of the site?

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:22 am

Martin said
If you wanted to get really official all you need these days in the UK is to compile a members list, identify a treasurer and chair and you can walk into any bank and get a community bank account. That's the minimum required you don't even need a constitution any more!

That's how so many manage to get hold of Lottery cash!

One thing I am always proud of with model railways is the fact that , certainly in UK, we do it without any grants etc. Although an offer of a free exhibition hall is rarely refused.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Nevadablue wrote:Thank you Tom!

I agree with having a 'group' that can access and maintain the domain. Like I said above, we waited too long on another forum and lost it completely.

Maybe at least 3 or 4 people should be able to 'open the lock' if something dire happens to the 'owner' of the site.

Would the moderators be in a position to take this on if the worst should happen?
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:31 pm

The short answer is no, the long answer is a very long answer couched with many ifs and maybes and legal vagaries as the law hasn't really caught up with the internet yet.

Loosely there are several parts that go make up this website

1 the domain name
2 the hosting
3 the software
4 the content

The problem is you need both physical possession of these and the legal right to use them to run the forum.

Some of them are no brainers, the software is all free and opensource, but others are much more messy and complicated.

It's much easier if we can keep one party that owns and controls everything rather than trying to put Humpty-Dumpty together again after a fall.

If you really want to know I can explain in long agonizing detail - I too lost a forum due to a split, so have personal experience here.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Very interesting thread. I really like The GnATTERbox.
But the real question is still there: what can we do exactly in a very short time to keep this great forum alive and kicking? Unfortunately time is running out... :evil:
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:58 pm

tebee wrote:Well we have a little progress, with Emrys's help I've downloaded a copy of the existing forum software and updated it to the latest version of the software, so that should not be a problem, though we will lose the Minimumgauge.info access as this is no longer supported.

One thing that has occurred to us is that we ought to sort out a way so existence of the forum is not dependant on one person. At the moment Emrys holds the domains which are the key to the forums identity on the web and rather than just transferring those to me it would be nice if we could transfer those to some sort holding organization so that if either of us gets run over by the proverbial bus these are not lost.

But there is no Gn15 equivalent of say the 009 society - I rather suspect this is in part because GN15 Gnutcases tend to be a little on the independent side, verging on anarchistic. So how can we organize ourselves? do we want to ? can we ??? or is it all unnecessary?

Tom

:D Well I think that's great progress Tom!

(I have never been one for wanting to join a local model railway club and there are several web based sites that seem to be full of over opinionated perfectionists that take things far too seriously and I steer well clear of those...)

Perhaps this is now the time to create something slightly more formal for Gn15 but I know it wont become some evil nasty monster as we are not like that on here! But simply for the sake of keeping this wonderful gnatterbox going.

Tom if you are ok to host this then if say 6 of us become The Formal Fat Controllers and another 4 or so are Moderating, I feel sure we are heading up the right track.

I am more than happy to be one of the above and will chuck money behind my big mouth too.

Lets get on and get this sorted

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Well, we have about a month.

A question for Emrys... would it be possible to keep the site going month by month for maybe 2 or 3 months, just in case Tom needs the time?

Unfortunately, I can't really do much but blabber about this. I hope that if Tom or others need help they will say so.

8)
Ken

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:11 am

I would like to volunteer to help, I missed the opportunity to become a mod last time around - the Gnatterbox is where I discovered Gnine and I would hate to see it go. Those who take charge please do get in touch and let me know what I can do to assist 8)
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Just to say work on moving the site it still progressing, but a little slowly at the moment as I've caught a nasty cold. Thought I had rid of it yesterday, but it came back with a vengeance today.

Should not be a problem to get it all done in the time though.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:39 pm

That's good news Tom, - not about the cold though, I hope that you are soon over that!

Like a number of others I'm not currently in position to offer more than verbal (if thats the right word) support for your endeavors .

Thanks

Trevor.
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Perhaps I should point out that although the Forum has 996 registered members, a number are now deceased and 446, although registered, have never posted.
There are also a large number who have made but a single post.
The core membership is therefore quite small and they will have to provide the funding for Tom to host Gnatterbox.
When Emrys first asked for contributions he received sufficient to support the site for 3 years. The recent years tell a different story! :cry:
No doubt Tom will, in due course, indicate the level of contributions required.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Chris18 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks for the good news.
If some money is needed to keep this great forum alive, please ask!
Chris

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:17 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:Perhaps I should point out that although the Forum has 996 registered members, a number are now deceased and 446, although registered, have never posted.
The core membership is therefore quite small and they will have to provide the funding for Tom to host Gnatterbox.
When Emrys first asked for contributions he received sufficient to support the site for 3 years. The recent years tell a different story! :cry:

So what is the best way forward Gerry? If the active membership is quite small, would it be simpler for us all to migrate to another forum? I bet the chaps at NGRM would be happy to help...they even have a minimum gauge section!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:34 pm

I only looked at NGRM forum briefly when it started out, but then they made it only available to members, so have not joined. I don' like membership only forums, as I believe they are the shop window to everyone, not just those already converted. I prefer to see what I am signing up for.
I know a lot of people who have heard of the Gnatterbox, and its openness. Still can't fully understand why postings and active membership has dropped so much over past year.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Chris18 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:50 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:I only looked at NGRM forum briefly when it started out, but then they made it only available to members, so have not joined. I don' like membership only forums, as I believe they are the shop window to everyone, not just those already converted. I prefer to see what I am signing up for.
I know a lot of people who have heard of the Gnatterbox, and its openness.

I totally agree with that ! There is no better place for Gn15 than the GnATTERbox.
Chris

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:25 pm

demaine22 wrote:
Gerry Bullock wrote:Perhaps I should point out that although the Forum has 996 registered members, a number are now deceased and 446, although registered, have never posted.

So what is the best way forward Gerry? If the active membership is quite small, would it be simpler for us all to migrate to another forum? I bet the chaps at NGRM would be happy to help...they even have a minimum gauge section!

As Tom is working on hosting Gnatterbox the need to move is unnecessary.
If more members posted the interest will undoubtably increase - use it or lose it comes to mind.
If one looks back at some of the outstanding layouts that have appeared over the years the level of posting associated with them was significant; recently Gnew layouts have been in short supply.
In due course my update of the Virtual Exhibition section will prove my point OR confirm that my memory is on that Anno Domini downward slope. :lol:

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:22 pm

I'll admit I'm guilty of neglecting my gnine layout thread...been busy having babies and stuff. I better do my part and get back on it ;)

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:56 pm

I've been a member for a little while, because I like what I see here, but I have no layout.
I like anything out of the ordinary, but unfortunately, every time I try to convert some thing into narrow gauge I end up with a pile of bits!
I just don't seem to have what it takes. :(
Just Playing Trains!

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15 and model trams

Postby johna » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:11 pm

I hope we can keep the site open and I am also willing to help. I have been here since 2003 and after many many failed starts I am on my way to having a small layout suitable for taking to exhibitions.

I do remember we attempted to produce a leaflet to hand out at exhibitions so I must see if I can find it.

John

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:44 pm

Good news Tom, thanks ! Hope you are better soon.

Please let us know about funding and help required etc when you can.

Is it worth "removing" those who have joined and never posted or is that not necessary and rude to suggest? I mean no offence.

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:59 pm

Good day, I first joined up on the Gnatterbox in 2005 and was quiet a prolific builder for the next 5 or so years. My problem was that I found I was getting in a rut and needed a new outlet and have gone on and built a couple of 7.25 inch trains. Also bought a retro classic car.
The thing is my Gn15 layout is still encapsuled in its own room. In a few more years when I feel like slowing down it is there waiting, after all I am only 68 and my 1/2 inch scale modelling goes back to about 1986 so there has been previous breaks.
I still check in each day to see what is happening and hope that issues are resolved.

PS. I did have over 2000 post until the site was hacked :lol:
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:57 am

SOUTHPASS wrote:Good day, I first joined up on the Gnatterbox in 2005 and was quiet a prolific builder for the next 5 or so years. My problem was that I found I was getting in a rut and needed a new outlet and have gone on and built a couple of 7.25 inch trains. Also bought a retro classic car.
The thing is my Gn15 layout is still encapsuled in its own room. In a few more years when I feel like slowing down it is there waiting, after all I am only 68 and my 1/2 inch scale modelling goes back to about 1986 so there has been previous breaks.
I still check in each day to see what is happening and hope that issues are resolved.

PS. I did have over 2000 post until the site was hacked :lol:

It wasn't hacked John it was overmoderated which was then dealt with by Emrys. I'm not aware that any posts have been deleted since by Chris or myself.
There is an exception to that in the VE & Loco Shed sections where photos are missing and after requests to re-instate nothing happens. Then I delete thread on the basis that no-one will want to read it without the photos that illuminate the text. Unfortunately this situation has arisen again this year so when I restart looking at VE some layouts will no longer be there. :cry:

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:32 am

Yes I know Gerry, that was my tongue in cheek Aussie humour. :)

It wasn't hacked John it was overmoderated
.....WARNING....

Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.

1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.

Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......

Have a good one....John B.

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:
There is an exception to that in the VE & Loco Shed sections where photos are missing and after requests to re-instate nothing happens. Then I delete thread on the basis that no-one will want to read it without the photos that illuminate the text. Unfortunately this situation has arisen again this year so when I restart looking at VE some layouts will no longer be there. :cry:

At least with the "in house" photos they should still be there unless actively deleted.
I used to have a BT Flickr account but they changed a few months ago when BT moved away from their link with Yahoo. I guess any link to the photos under the old name would have been lost. These sort of external changes can cause chaos!
Even if the original poster has lost interest (or even expired) "in house" pictures should still be there. I know carendt.com is not updated as regularly as it used to be but at least all the pictures are still intact (I think) going back to page 1 in May 2002. The problem of missing pictures seems to occur in several different forums, usually Photobucket pictures.

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:07 pm

I tend to use my own space for pictures, as I have control on them, but obviously when I eventually disappear, those may well disappear as well.
Don't worry I am not planning to disappear , yet :roll:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Postby Emrys » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:13 pm

SOUTHPASS wrote:Yes I know Gerry, that was my tongue in cheek Aussie humour. :)

It wasn't hacked John it was overmoderated

To be pedantic (as is my wont) it was a bit of both - some members' post counts, according to the website, are definitely screwy since The Incident.

Nevadablue wrote:would it be possible to keep the site going month by month for maybe 2 or 3 months, just in case Tom needs the time?

Yes, if that's necessary, but I'm confident it won't be.

RoGNer wrote:Is it worth "removing" those who have joined and never posted or is that not necessary and rude to suggest? I mean no offence.

I'm not convinced that it's worth the effort, to be honest, and I can think of a few cases where members have suddenly started posting after a long period of inactivity. Then again, in a few weeks' time it won't be my call anyway! :D
Emrys Hopkins

Return to “Blether”