3D Pictures!

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

3D Pictures!

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:14 am

In my quest for something else to divert or attract my attention disorder :D I stumbled onto 3D photographs. I wanted to get a stereoscope and some pictures for the grandkids to enjoy during Christmas. I found a nice old one with a few cards on eBay. It is an 1896 model and had a bit of damage to the hood. Nothing serious, but it is being repaired. The old bent wood was cracked and broken on one side so it is getting made NEW.
Anyway...

This led me to snooping for stereographs online. There are LOTS! Much fun to look at too. Then I discovered a free program that will make the cards! Stereophotomaker.exe I think it is. Seems to work great. THEN I discovered an instruction for taking the pictures with a plain camera. Simply take a picture and move the camera slightly to the right and take another. The software will then help you adjust it all and print a card. For free!

This is a very crude first attempt, but it seems to work. I just snapped a couple of pics, fed them to the software and printed a card. Here's the pic. Close pics need only a tiny amount of 'movement' of the camera, but I'm thinking that this will be great for photographing layouts. Adding depth to the shots is neat. (this can be viewed 'cross-eyed' to see the 3D effect) Look at the pic fairly close, in focus, then cross your eyes and adjust until you see one 3D image. Some people can do this easily, others can't do it at all. Lucky for me, I can do it. (for this image, on my 15" laptop screen, I need to view it about 12" from the screen)

The software is here:

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/
Ken

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 micro

Re: 3D Pictures!

Postby Larry » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:35 am

Stereographs are a great piece of the past.

One of my old college professors wrote a couple books on the subject you might want to look into. His house was crammed full of them in the 1960's, especially civil war stuff.

Darrah, William C. The World of Stereographs. Gettysburg, PA: Darrah, 1977.
Call number: TR780 .D35 P&P Ref.
Indispensable guide to the history of stereographs. Provides information about dating views and the production of stereographs. Extensive geographical and subject guide to stereographs. Also includes a geographical check list of North American stereographers and an alphabetical checklist of stereographers.
Darrah, William C. Stereo Views: A History of Stereographs in America and Their Collection. Gettysburg, PA: Times and News Publishing Co., 1964.
Call number: TR780 .D34 P&P Ref
Darrah's first book on the history of stereographs.

I see them available on ebay at varying prices.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks for that! I'm hoping to come up with a simple way to take and display the stereo images, both online and printed. Should be fun to play with anyway. :)
Ken

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 micro

Postby Larry » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:05 am

I ran across this today, which might help you on your Quest for a stereopticon.

https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/

http://youtu.be/eT9vmpE8WcY

I might just give the classic version a shot so I can see some of the old Stereographs my old prof gave me.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:15 am

I managed to snag a very old... 1896 I think it was, viewer off of ebay. It was damaged, but that damage was limited to the wood 'hood'. I repaired that and it is a very fine viewer now. Has individual adjustments on the eye pieces. I think it looks like Wall-E. :D
Ken

Return to “Blether”