Copyright, particularly photos

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Copyright, particularly photos

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi chaps,

We've just had a little hiccup on copyright, so, with my moderator hat on for a mo, here's the Stockers very brief guide for the Gnatterbox.

As a general guideline I suspect it is best, and certainly safest, if people only put up photos etc. that they have the copyright to. If you want to show something else, interesting no doubt but not yours, then please put in a link so that whoever reads the post has to click on it and go off outside the Gnatterbox.

There may be great legal minds in here who know more. It matters not. The above is designed to be straightforward for all of us in all countries. I'd really appreciate people following it as that way we can't, I believe, get into bother.

I thank you.

cheers,

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: Copyright, particularly photos

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 pm

What kind of hiccup? I something like this offsite link OK? The only thing posted here is the address of the original, nothing more.

edited to remove inline link...
Last edited by Nevadablue on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:45 am

Good question Ken.

Although the example you give may not infringe copyright I'll ask that we all play absolutely safe by putting in links like this:

http://cdn.picturecorrect.com/wp-conten ... h-pets.jpg

There is another issue related to what you did which is that of bandwidth use (and thus cost) to the Gnatterbox.

More on both here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_linking

As indicated in my first post, I'm aiming to keep it simple in here, hence the guideline; thus no matter what the law in any jurisdiction provided what I have suggested isn't in breach of any law, it is what we will go with please.

Thanks to all.

cheers

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:57 pm

thought I had posted something earlier, can't find it now.
I am quite often looking at online forums. I tend to skip those with just words no pictures, even those with links, especially those in other languages. When doing research I prefer to use images option on google, as it is a lot faster.
I can understand the issues relating to direct links to someone else's photos. This is a very grey area(50 shades maybe :D ), with the rules dating back to days before the internet. Erring on side of caution is safest way. No one seems to complain when they can see their images on google though.
Bandwidth issues are an area that needs more info. I pay a flat fee for my webspace and I thought that was the norm, unless you are talking large company websites. If there is say an extra cost because you are linking to another website, then the answer might be to have photos stored on forum , but this must also incur some extra cost. It is a case of balance.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:06 am

I DID post something on the other thread and it isn't there now. :evil:
Ken

Return to “Blether”