Banksy Dismaland

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Banksy Dismaland

Postby KEG » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:50 am

Suppose it is worth a visit and maybe modelling in Gn15
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/08/dismaland/

Where about in the UK is it situated?

Have Fun

Juergen

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Re: Banksy Dismaland

Postby MickT » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Weston-super-Mare, on the southern shore of the Bristol Channel,

Left a bit and down a bit on the map from Bristol!

Mick

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Hmm, that would be interesting to visit.

Some elements of it remind me of Pere Ubu's "Disastodrome" festival (London, 1998). I wonder if that is something Banksy is aware of, or may even have attended?

Umm, sorry. Going more then somewhat off topic and obscure here. Perhaps it's something I ate :roll:
Ian K
Be seeing you...

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 am

Most artists are aware of possibilities to exibit or perform outside beaten tracks. Next week we´ll see the BURNING MAN Festival in Nevada http://burningman.org/event/brc/2015-art-installations/

Unforgotten is the Rowland Emett Train on the festival of Braitain in 1951. http://www.20thcenturylondon.org.uk/festival-britain-1951

Austrian Artist Andre Heller had a Carnival, created by contemporay Artist in Hamburg in 1987. http://suche.aol.de/aol/image?q=Heller+Luna+Luna&v_t=keyword_rollover&brand=de_DE_aol&s_it=searchtabs

For model railroaders there can be a chance, to show their work outside of traditional standard railway exibitions, if they dare to be different. A good example ist the fellow, which built the Ankh-Morpork layout some years ago.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 am

Juergen,
Luckily there are a few of us who are prepared to be different. Tend to get ignored by the crowd who are only interested in locos painted one colour, and then only if it undergauged and made in China. :shock:
The Disc World layout is still being exhibited, very successfully I gather and not just model railway exhibitions.

The job of the artist is not to replicate what is there, but to interpret it and more importantly make people think. Easiest way to do that is to be different, and have a bit of 'shock' in it. It might(in fact it will) go over the heads of some people, but those who see beyond the initial impression, get a lot more out of it. Picasso said that when the camera became widely available, he turned away from 'traditional' painting as the camera could create an accurate image easier, and possibly better, but as an artist he could bring out something else. I think this is even truer these days with digital cameras, and although there are a lot of good photographers, it is more the machine than the person doing the work. That 'classic' photo is normally one of tens possibly hundreds of photos taken at the time, and then selected. It might then get modified, no problem there, in fact that is possibly bring more artistic creativity into what has been created by a machine. A pin hole camera is as good a start point, as one of my rat uni would claim.

I am trying to merge creative artwork and model railways. One of the differences I have noticed, is how much we are prepared to share in model railways, yet many artists are very protective of their ideas(which have probably evolved from ideas elsewhere anyway). I find the art world very disjointed, and a lot of artists grumbling no one is working together, helping each other, and many just trying to promote their own artwork. Online forums for artists seem to be rare, and not very inviting.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 am

Online forums for artists seem to be rare, and not very inviting.

Most of those I know are closed circles, Clubs in a way. You have to get invited to become a member.
After all, many artists have some kind of education for their trade and aim to make a living from their work.
No time or interest to waste time with blether.

In model railroad forums you do not even have to have a modelraidroad to participate in the gossip.

The Dismaland seems to be quite successful. Tickets are more or less sold out and it is very difficult to book affordable accomodation.

Have Fun

Juergen

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 am

Online forums for artists seem to be rare, and not very inviting.

Most of those I know are closed circles, Clubs in a way. You have to get invited to become a member.
After all, many artists have some kind of education for their trade and aim to make a living from their work.
No time or interest to waste time with blether.

In model railroad forums you do not even have to have a modelraidroad to participate in the gossip.

The Dismaland seems to be quite successful. Tickets are more or less sold out and it is very difficult to book affordable accomodation.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Blether”