DCC, is it a form of reverse engineering?

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

DCC, is it a form of reverse engineering?

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:23 pm

Maybe it is the wine, and it is Saturday evening. I am thinking about a new project. Not even narrow gauge, but it will be based in future(I have just had letter in Railway Modeller, so can not now duck out). Anyway, just wondering if trains would still have drivers, or be controlled from some central point, a bit like traditional analogue controlled model railways.
Now this means than model railways moving in direction of DCC, and making us feel like we are in the cab, are possibly some form of reverse engineering, as it is going in opposite direction to the way real railways are going.
One of the things I have thought of including is a light rail based freight operation, and how I design the cabs, but then thought, why have cabs when there was no driver. If you can fit devises on road vehicles so they do not need a driver, then a train is easy. Definitely no need to use DCC, as there is no in cab driver experience to replicate.
I know we are al having fun with GN15, and there are some pretty wacky ideas, many of which are totally impractical in real life, but they are fun. Some of the more normal ideas probably do show how practical smaller gauge railways can be, but I am taking that idea of the possible, to show that rails are potentially the future instead of roads.
In the mean time modellers are being persuaded to try that 'driver' experience.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: DCC, is it a form of reverse engineering?

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:42 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:Maybe it is the wine, and it is Saturday evening. I am thinking about a new project. Not even narrow gauge, but it will be based in future(I have just had letter in Railway Modeller, so can not now duck out). Anyway, just wondering if trains would still have drivers, or be controlled from some central point, a bit like traditional analogue controlled model railways.

Simon the Docklands Light Railway has always operated with driverless trains. It now has 40 stations covering 3 main lines.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Driverless passenger trains have been around for a long time. Not just the DLR, but some of the Tube lines(although they do have a guard sitting in cab).
I am thinking of a goods train without a driver. All I need is to either stick a modern style container over motorized chassis(Bachmann UE), or make up a lorry style body(possibly 3D printed) with curtain sides. The train would( in practice) have sensors to detect obstacles, an idea being tried out for road vehicles, so see it would work even better for rail vehicle, going along street. Idea is that it could be used for either factory/warehouse to factory/warehouse or stop at points for goods to be unloaded. Simple pallets being either loaded or unloaded would not take very long.

I have even less excuse , or is that more opportunity, as I am currently down in the land of cheap wine.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:15 pm

I did a google image search for automated container ports, some interesting photos of the container vehicles.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:47 pm

that is a bit like I am thinking, but not in an enclosed area, but one here people are wandering around, doing normal non job things. All the pieces of the jigsaw are there, it just needs them to be assembled the right way, that is one of the main ways technology actually develops.
Apart from being a railway enthusiast(I know that can sound bad), but looking at it from that angle, then it is more energy efficient to move something with metal wheels on metal rails, than rubber tyres on tarmac. With modern electronics it does not need many people to run it.In effect the concept of a traditional train layout, with one of us sitting operating it, from outside, not as if we are in the cab, as is the idea with DCC. Hence in a convoluted way DCC is a step in reverse, a reverse in engineering technology, not reverse engineering strictly.(it was the wine , my lord!)
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Blether”