Laser radar finds Roman roads

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Laser radar finds Roman roads

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Cool stuff. A model railroad friend here in Missouri has in past been an archaeologist with Department Natural Resources, I think Mike would like this too. Came to my attention via email news from Live Science website, which included their article on the matter. ... -maps.html

Then I both looked at links in article and went playing in Google to see what else was out there about it.
http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot. ... roads.html
The archaeology enthusiast said that it is the first ‘new’ Roman road to be discovered in the UK for 150 years.
‘The road is remarkably clear in several sections – one stretch of prominent agger [Roman embankment] is even visible in Google Streetview,’ Mr Ratledge wrote online.
‘How nobody – me included – spotted it is a mystery.’

Edit - Another link found which I'd intended to include before posting the first time
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Blether”