Wait a minute, when did I become ...

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:07 pm

... the grey goateed guy the teenyboppers hold the store door for and call sir :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I called most everyone sir or ma'am as appropriate when I was in retail - because that's just how it's done in Georgia; and because without their business I wouldn't have been eating; and, because people like to be acknowledged and respected.

But now I'm the grey goateed guy the teenyboppers hold the store door for and call sir.
Gonna take a couple decades to wrap my mind around that one: the whatever it is that makes me, me, has no concept of age, none, zero: I've always been 'this' and 'this' has no specific definition, it just is. Without a calendar and a birth certificate I'd have no clue how old I am. With me being me, that might even have held true in an earlier culture where the seasons were available to mark time.

My little brother has been around a year short of half a century this month. Whaaaaaaaaaaat :?: WHEN did THAT happen???????

Even with watching our parents grow wrinkled and grey, the whatever it is that makes me, me, has no concept of age.
Age is a mystery, it often seems like an artificial construct.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

ijopson
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: MODELMAKING, WOODWORK

Re: Wait a minute, when did I become ...

Postby ijopson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 pm

Exactly. My wife tells me it's our 40th wedding anniversary this year, so why do I still feel (and, so she says, act) like a nineteen year old. Was it Einstein who said that time is relative?

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:01 am

I've seen this thread on 3 forums now. I read one reply and asked the author for permission to post it elsewhere, and he gave permission. I agree with his point of view and believe I know why it is a fairly universal one.

He said...
"Each of us reaches a certain age, late 20s for many people, when our sense of self stops aging. The lines in our face, the color of our hair, and the politeness of younger friends and acquaintances tells us that we are getting older but inside, we are still that young man or woman of 28 or 29. We grow wiser, more experienced, perhaps more content than we were in our 20s but in our sense of self, we never really outgrow that younger self.

I consider it a blessing that keeps me feeling and thinking young. And though I'm sometimes surprised by the old man staring back at me from the mirror, I know that the young man I was is still a real part of me. And like many of my Boomer peers, I always define "old age" as "20 years older than I am.""
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:07 am

Nevadablue wrote:I consider it a blessing that keeps me feeling and thinking young. And though I'm sometimes surprised by the old man staring back at me from the mirror, I know that the young man I was is still a real part of me. And like many of my Boomer peers, I always define "old age" as "20 years older than I am.""
There ya go! :D
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:44 am

I actually cut off my beard a few days ago, because of that quote. I had to see that old chin one more time. The beard had been there for about 28 years. And other than a 6 year period where I had a job that required NO beard because of dangerous chemicals, it had been there since '72. Of course it is growing back now. :D
Ken

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:22 pm

At least you seem to have avoided 'Age Acquired Attention Deficit Disorder'. That is when you are standing in the kitchen clutching the car keys and wondering why you are there in the first place.
Last week I managed to get halfway to work before I realised that I had left my glasses at home - most of the day is spent driving a computer and looking at diagrams so I cannot function without them :roll:
On one memorable occasion I threw my overalls in to the washing machine and chucked in a couple of washing tablets. Trouble is that I had also chucked a couple of washing tablets in before the overalls and got distracted so forgot about them. We ended up with soapsuds coming out of the detergent tray and my wife was not impressed!
What was the question again?...... :D
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:36 pm

I sure don't feel old..................until I have to walk up stairs. At 70 it is not so easy anymore.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:47 am

hmmm...

25 years ago I was living in Duluth, GA, north of Atlanta. I traveled for a living and flew into Hartsfield. That's about 40 miles from my house. So, I found a limo service that would pick me up from home and drop me at the airport, and pick me up at the airport and take me home... cheaper than the taxi! One day I found myself waiting outside the terminal looking for a taxi, since I hadn't called the limo in time. Fortunately I remembered that I had driven my truck to the airport almost a week ago... luckily I remembered that before I got in the taxi. :lol:
Ken

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:46 pm

You seriously are old, the day you have time to try to convince complete strangers in a modell railway forum, how young you are feeling. Nobody asked. I am sure, most of us have more time behind than before us. So what?

But don´t worry. Some people seem to go on forever. Like young Pete Seeger, who left this world last year at the age of 92, picking his banjo until almost his last day on earth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW4XxX0 ... e=youtu.be

Have Fun

Juergen

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:00 am

Seeger was my idol when I was growing up learning folk music. I can still pick "Living in the country" on my old 12 string.
Thanks for the memory, Juergen!
David ()Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:28 pm

docnjoj wrote:I sure don't feel old..................until I have to walk up stairs. At 70 it is not so easy anymore.
David (Doc)

Solved that years ago Doc moved into a bungalow. :lol:
Having said that just did a 3 mile walk along the Thames this pm. Not bad for an 80 year old!
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:

Having said that just did a 3 mile walk along the Thames this pm.

Yep, our Gerry walks on water.

I'll get my coat...

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:
docnjoj wrote:I sure don't feel old..................until I have to walk up stairs. At 70 it is not so easy anymore.
David (Doc)

Solved that years ago Doc moved into a bungalow. :lol:
Having said that just did a 3 mile walk along the Thames this pm. Not bad for an 80 year old!

Wow! I would have to work up to 3 miles. I can bikeride long distances, but walking.......(ugh!)
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:12 pm

20 years back used to regularly walk 10 miles with my wife in all terrains Alps, many Mediterraean Isles, St Helena (alone), Iceland, Greenland, Italy and not forgetting the UK.
Most memorable Greenland - isolation only saw one person all day and an unforgettable walk in Switzerland of 14 miles with the Matterhorn in view all day.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32 am

Hi,
well thanks to my Wolf Hybrid "ROSIE" I am walking at least 5 to 6 miles every day. Amazing what a dog does for you.......
We do less of the hikes, now it is more along the beach etc......much easier on both of us, well me mostly.
As to Pete Seeger, MY IDOL!
here is my most favorite son by him, his English rendition and also the German original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbwQXVcbkU0
Her is the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP4Tb1F1pGo

Keep on trucking guys!
Cheers
Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Yep simply wonderful. His voice is amazingly clear. I need to find a recording of "Living in the country" with him whistling counterpoint.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “Blether”