NOT the season for happy times with model trains

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

NOT the season for happy times with model trains

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:06 am

This is just not, and I mean NOT the season in my life for happy times with model trains. Have several, half a dozen actually, which did okay for a few years but now have developed problems. Interestingly they are all made by Bachmann here in the 2000s.
Did NOT have this trouble, ever, and that means ever with "blacksmith engineering" level Athearn locomotives in the 1970s and 80s.
Have 2 diesels with cracked axle gears - all 4 axles on each. One is a Western Maryland GE 44 tonner my parents got me for Christmas a few years ago.
Have 2 diesels with bad motors.
Have 2 steamers with defective side rods, and one of them may have motor issues. one has parts installed backwards at the factory, and one had one eccentric crank lose a chunk around the rivet hole - whaaat? The thing is metal, not plastic.
Had 1 diesel a couple years ago, a Chessie System GP40 my parents had gotten me for Christmas, have its DCC circuit board go bad, instead of returning it I just bought an aftermarket board. Have yet to install it, though.

Of course that all waited to happen AFTER I finally got around to doing some custom painting and detailing to them.
And now ...
Front handrails on a loco got snagged on something and broke. True, the scale dimension plastic railings of these days LOOK better than the metal wire ones of the 1980s, but, dudes, there's a lot to be said for durability and survivability in a club environment.

Anyway, earlier today a took a time out from doing Medicaid paperwork to print pictures and send Bachmann a letter about the defective ones. I just now discovered the broken handrail on the Western Maryland GP40. With my health being such a mess, this kind of stuff gets me down in a hurry. I need things to go right. The first time. Every time.

Yeah, yeah, I know, first world problems.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Re: NOT the season for happy times with model trains

Postby NotHarryPotter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 pm

I understand, yes, it is a first world problem but hobbies are meant to be relaxing.
The locos cost a lot of cash. It is just a pity that so many faulty or short-lived products have found their way into your collection.
Focus on an aspect of the hobby that will reward you.
Hope your luck and health improve,
regards
Geoff Potter
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: NOT the season for happy times with model trains

Postby docnjoj » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:28 pm

I found Bachmann parts department to be pretty responsive. I had to repair the gears in my side rod diesel and they not only sent me the axle gears but the entire gear train. It works fine now.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Return to “Blether”