Motor Rail book by Alan Keef

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Motor Rail book by Alan Keef

Postby chris stockdale » Wed May 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Definitely one for the library...

http://lightmoor.co.uk/view_book.php?ref=L8092

Cheers,

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re: Motor Rail book by Alan Keef

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu May 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Tram in bottom photo on page sure is interesting, has model in many gauges written all over it! :D
I just recently woke up, so am wondering about availability here in US, my mind isn't up to full RPM yet.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri May 27, 2016 9:25 am

I saw the advert in one of the magazines. Just wondering if it has scale drawings. The book from Moseley trust is also very good, had drawings(not the one I am currently looking for though- the post WW1 8ton loco).
The petrol tram does look like it would make a good model. The side view would make it relatively easy to do a drawing.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

nonsuch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Industrial Railways

Postby nonsuch » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:03 am

I have just bought this book. Very interesting if you are curious about Motor Rail the company. If you are only interested in drawings it is not the book for you. There are two locomotive plans, a proposed 3 axle type U that is new to me, and a very small 3 ton locomotive from M and R in South Africa. The Moseley book is the one for drawings.

There are intriguing pictures of standard gauge Simplexes, including a type G, and quite a bit on the products that they diversified into, dumpers, trailers, concrete breakers....

One fascinating fact that emerged was that in South African mines in 1982 there were no less than 5782 narrow gauge locomotives at work at the peak of the mining boom, and a lot skulduggery went on between the various suppliers to get the business.

The text reads a little awkwardly in places as Alan Keef himself is obviously part of the Motor Rail story and he hops between first and third person.

In brief, an excellent inspiration book and a very interesting behind the scenes insight.

Neil B
Neil B

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:38 pm

thanks for the info. Did not really expect drawings, as Moseley Trust have them all as far as I know.
I am only after one specific drawing anyway and I should be able to do a drawing based on photos, that is the 8ton version of the post WW1 protected version. There is a simple drawing of the 6ton which I think is the direct replacement. The 8ton is bigger, intended for bigger gauges. Info suggests it was intended for up to 3ft 6in gauge, but it was standard gauge that took the design on. I have a good side photo of an L&Y one, and several are preserved. Cabs were often boxed in, around the open cab frame supplied. I am deducing a lot of this based on the chassis looking the same(rivets in exact same places).
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

nonsuch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Industrial Railways

Postby nonsuch » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:32 am

Simon

There is a view of a 1925 8 ton 40 hp standard gauge locomotive, owned by the Great Western. It is an Industrial Railway Society photograph, so is probably well known.

Neil B
Neil B

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Neil, there are quite a few photos around. The 8ton loco was bought by many of the railway companies. I think there is even an LNER classification for them. Not sure about the Southern Railway. Also sold worldwide. It was a picture of of one in Australia, and the online discussion that got me interested.http://tdu.to/40379.msg
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:51 am

chris stockdale wrote:Definitely one for the library...

http://lightmoor.co.uk/view_book.php?ref=L8092

Cheers,

oddly enough, in my "spring cleaning" frenzy last week, I donated my copy to the local library .

Return to “Blether”