after thunderstorm "Startup Repair" has to run

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

after thunderstorm "Startup Repair" has to run

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu May 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Once again after thunderstorm with lots of lightning close by "Startup Repair" has to run before this box is usable, even after being shut down and unplugged from everything for the storm.
Been going on for several years but this is the first time I've gotten as far as thinking, hey, I'll ask about that.
I guess that somehow the electrical fields from the lightning are involved, but that's as far as I can go with the knowledge I have.

Just went and looked at this week's forecast, oh, joy.
This Afternoon
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could be severe. ...
Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms likely, ...
Friday
Showers and thunderstorms likely. ...
Friday Night
Showers and thunderstorms likely. ...
Saturday
Showers and thunderstorms likely, ...
Saturday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. ...
Sunday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms ...
Memorial Day
A chance of showers and thunderstorms after ...
Monday Night
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Wednesday

http://forecast.weather.gov/
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Re: after thunderstorm "Startup Repair" has to run

Postby Steve Holland » Thu May 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Sounds like the weather at your place is a backing track to an old Hammer House of Horror film when something nasty is about to happen :shock:
Have you tried placing the computer in a Faraday cage - basically a closed metal box big enough for the computer when it has been disconnected. Of course it cannot have any cables attached while it is in the box, otherwise you are back to square 1.
We used to get lots of trouble with lightning blowing up level crossing control circuits on the Ffestiniog Railway in the Blaenau Ffestiniog area. The whole area is on rock, so there is not very good earthing. Do you live in a similar sort of area I wonder?
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re: after thunderstorm "Startup Repair" has to run

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri May 27, 2016 4:19 am

Hey there!
I'd have to get creative to do the Faraday thing in this flat.
Location is a little farm burg of about 8,300 in the middle of Missouri along the Missouri River.
I'm not sure what the strata is at my point in town.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Blether”