A newcomer trying to post an article

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

A newcomer trying to post an article

Postby Grum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:53 pm

.......patience is wearing thin. Can anyone help me? I am trying to get to grips with the Gnatterbox, but being a new user can't understand certain items. I have new models, and want to post an article, where do I post it? none of the short-cuts listed in the "Want to be an author" section are recognised. I am also trying to upload photos too, but the MyGninfo, won't recognise my user name or password. Aaaaaagh! (an old moaner).
Thanks

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Re: A newcomer trying to post an article

Postby Bilco » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Grum,

It's actually quite simple. Let's suppose you want to put your article as a new thread under the 'Modelling Matter' section. If you go to that section, at the top left is the section title and under it in red 'New Topic' Click on that - if you aren't logged in you will be prompted to do so, then you'll be taken to a text entry box. Either type your text in that, or copy and paste it if you have a text already.

For photos you need a web storage site like Photobucket, which I use. After you upload your photos to Photobucket open the one you want to put in the text first and on the right side is a list of links to the photo - click on the bottom one and it says 'copied' - paste the link into your text. The the link should start with img in square brackets and end with /img in square brackets.

Once you have the text and photos entered in the box click on 'Preview' at the bottom to see how it will appear. If you need to correct anything the text entry box is just under the preview. Once you are happy click on 'Submit' and your article will appear in the Modelling Matters section.

Similarly, if you are replying to a post click 'Post Reply' at bottom left of the last post and proceed as above.

Other photo storage sites have other ways of generating the link but the principle is the same.

Looking forward to reading your article!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Re: A newcomer trying to post an article

Postby Grum » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks Bill, I'll have another go using your instructions.
I will grasp it eventually
Graham

Return to “Blether”