Why can't sellers get the scale correct?

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Why can't sellers get the scale correct?

Postby Thorness » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:03 pm

I thought I had found a potential new supplier of 1/24 scale items on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131967376437? ... Tags=bu=bu
Garden Railway G Gauge 1.24th Figure with oil drums

Looks useful until you realise that the 3.75 inch figure equates to a 7 feet 6 inch high person! At 1/19th he would be just under 6 feet.

So I sent a message to the seller to suggest that either the scale was wrong or the measurement was wrong, this was the reply:
"theres a lot of big men out there
he is one of them
thanks for that".

Needless to say I won't be buying anything from them.

Cheers
Last edited by Thorness on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: Why can't sellers get the scale correct?

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:01 pm

Jerks are everywhere. He doesn't care, he just wants to sell.

I bought a bunch of toys... models, and asked how tall a specific figure in the set was... 2.5 inches I was told. Bought the lot and discovered that 2.5 inches in their world is 4 inches in mine. Grrr...
Ken

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Similar story, on another group I belong to, recently a member identified a diecast ute (pickup) that matched the theme we model and advertised in numerous locations as 1/36 scale. So two of us purchased second hand copies on Ebay. Darn, although clearly marked by Corgi as 1/36 scale, a check with a micrometer when they arrived identified that they are actually 1/38 - 1/39th scale :(

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:10 am

For many years 'scale' has been used as a marketing tool by companies. Many Airfix kits varied in actual scale, and I have been told many HO scale building kits used to be smaller. Some current r2p buildings for OO (scale?) are smaller than 1/76 as well.
I recently bought a couple of cheap diecast vehicles at a high street store. One said 1/38 scale , possible but looks a bit bigger, and the other said 1/43, but looks same scale as the other, so I will be happy to use both on one of my 1/32 scale projects.
What I don't understadn, is that there is a market for SM32 accessories(1/19), and if this chap had said 1/19th scale then he might have as much initial interest and better feedback.
I use Faller E-train items and these are a bit small, possibly nearer to 1/24, but narrow gauge comes in all sizes, but had some return some stock I was selling , at their expense from USA, because he said it was too small. I normally put a ruler in photos so people can see size. That way it should be obbvius to everyone, but you always find someone who has not looked properly. Dolls house items(1/12) vary in size, and dolls house enthusiasts seem to be more interested in everything looking about same size, not scale.
Currently I am looking for something for one project, but too many people don't think to put size, or a ruler in photos.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Simply never trust a seller who uses the term "G-Scale". G is not a scale.
They eather do niot know what they are selling or try to fool their customers.

In the case of this Ebay offer, is clearly states the height of the figures and the oil drums. So a customer should know what to expect. - BTW, a very good offer for the 16mm Scale fraternity.

In the case of shops, the employees must believe, what makers print in their catologue or at the package. Don´t expect them to be very well trained. But you can always ask for our money back, if you realize that they cheated you.

Have Fun

Juergen

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:53 pm

I gave up on scale and now always ask them to measure the object. Even the packaging is wrong many times. But, even that fails if the seller can't read a measuring stick. :evil:
Ken

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:42 pm

Nevadablue wrote:I gave up on scale and now always ask them to measure the object. Even the packaging is wrong many times. But, even that fails if the seller can't read a measuring stick. :evil:

It would help if the US got with the rest of the world and went metric so were were all on the same measurements:twisted: Perhaps after President Trump finishes the border wall he will direct all imperial rulers to be chucked over the wall :P

halloran
'boxer
'boxer

Postby halloran » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 am

Sad but I won't buy on that kind of seller. He did not know his product.

Return to “Blether”