Goodness knows what comments I'll get but I thought I'd risk dipping a toe in the water and say:
Why are some folk so anti Facebook?
I used to think it was full of bods saying the likes of 'I'm with Fred and I'm eating a Mars bar' i.e. hugely banal. And so it is. But then someone put me on to their Groups function. With a bit of decent moderation groups stay nicely focused on the subject matter. I'll cheerfully admit such groups have a bunch of pros and cons.
- someone else (i.e. Facebook) sets up and operates the software
- it's free
- a lot of bods use it so there may well be something to interest you that you can't find elsewhere
And some cons:
- traditional Forums are a lot easier to find older stuff on with threads in sections - at least FB does now have some Favouriting functionality to grab and save stuff you rather like and there is a decentish within Group search functionality
- some groups are set up as 'Private'. Fine if you want to keep prying eyes out but for railway type interests why bother? I find it somewhat irritating not be able to see the content without joining, but, hey ho, if you do join and don't like it you can just leave again.
- you get adverts. And so you do but you can use an ad suppressor like Adblock and Poof! they're gone.
Before now I've seen comments along the lines of: 'I'm not letting them 'use' all my data', but since you need supply no more than a date of birth (it doesn't even need to be true, they can't check), an email address, a user name and a password you're not exactly giving away the crown jewels, and it's little more than you would provide for any forum.
And, to put my money where my mouth is, as you may have spotted, I run a Group for one of my own particular interests, see my signature. It's been happily trundling along now for a bit over three years and, amazingly enough, has scooped up some 1800 bods to come play in my sandpit. Admittedly it's the usual thing with such set ups, only a few tens of people ever post, but that's fine. Providing everyone plays nicely - and I make sure that do - it's all good.