Thank you, Photobucket !!!

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Thank you, Photobucket !!!

Postby KEG » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Thank you Photobucket for destroying a million fora contributions by retiring your free photo-hosting
without warning. So about 1.000 of mine in this forum became more or less senseless without the pictures.

OK, I can pay $ 399.99 a year to have my pictures visible again. A very generous offer, but not in my pocket money range. Sounds like this company plans to commit a public suicide.

Have Fun

Juergen

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Re: Thank you, Photobucket !!!

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm confused. I have checked my Photobucket hosted pictures on several groups and can still see them all.

I guess it is because my Photobucket free hosting allowance has not been exceeded?

The revised terms of reference do offer cheaper payment options but I will not be taking them up as I have ceased hosting photos there as the site has been getting less and less usable with each 'upgrade'.

Paul

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:16 am

Yes,I'm angry they changed like this. I assume that the backlash will make them reconsider. Though we shouldn't expect to get things for free forever.
Peter

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:40 am

I have just downloaded my whole Photobucket library so at lest I still have copy of all the photos.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 am

I've only really just come to the realisation what a potential disaster this for us and other other forums/blogs/businesses.

I imagine that I'm well inside the free limit but do wonder why the few photos I have on Photobucket (I later switched to our own hosting, http://my.gn15.info/ and of course with Tebee having taken over we can now load directly as we post in threads) still show up here as I think they're not supposed to, see this chunk of their new Terms:

'Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.'

Does anyone with a more technical bent understand why some photos are still showing (when I suspect the posters are not paying members) whilst others now have what to me amounts to rip off requirements to pay.

Two key examples still running at the the moment are Steve Bennett and our own late, great Gerry Bullock. We're surely pretty much at the 'shut the door and go home' stage if we lose access to their stuff as well.

It's hardly surprising that there are folk up in arms about this all over the internet. If the price being asked had been a tenth of the $399 maybe there would have been grumbles but they'd have got a lot of money in; but by going for the huge price that they have surely all they are doing is ensuring that everyone exits fast?

I rarely rant but this is just... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:24 am

Additional:

In my experience there's nothing a CEO likes less than being hugely bothered, at the very least he/she usually has a senior team around them to hand off bothersome stuff to.

It looks like Photobucket's CEO is a bod called John Corpus (I'll leave the corpse jokes to the rest of you)

More info here:

http://www.bizjourna...as-new-ceo.html

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to guess his email address. So if you're not happy with 'bucket 'strategy' why not get typing and tell him...

Cheers,

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:48 am

This is rather worrying, I currently use Flickr but I wonder how long it will be before they do the same.

Hopefully Steve's and Gerry's photos are on the my.gn15.info/ site.

Photobucket's action must have had an impact on a very large number of sites
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:52 am

When I looked here first thing this morning, my photos were still showing, but my avatar wasn't. On another, non-railway, forum my photos weren't showing, but my avatar was!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:25 am

Thorness wrote:This is rather worrying, I currently use Flickr but I wonder how long it will be before they do the same.

Hopefully Steve's and Gerry's photos are on the my.gn15.info/ site.

Photobucket's action must have had an impact on a very large number of sites

Don,

I've checked back to the early days of the Gnatterbox and both Steve and Gerry were, unsurpringly, using P Bucket then, so I reckon there's a huge volume of their work at risk.

In my musings as to 'why have some changed to the dreaded symbol whereas others still show photos' I wondered if it might have anything to do with signing in on P Bucket which sets a flag there. Clearly Gerry will never do that again, he has no need now that he's playing with the 'great train set in the sky'. I guess we'll have to watch and wait to see where the axe will fall next.

Cheers,

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:28 am

Hi all
I think that there is some type of a fixed amount of 3rd party usage "tripwire". The photos have been disappearing by user at different times, not all at once.

Every time someone looks at something on Gnatterbox and there is a PB-linked photo in a posting on that page, the post owner's meter ratchets up a notch for each photo. If everyone races over to that particular posting to have a look, then this also ratchets the meter up for every looker multiplied by the number(size?) of photos looked at.

This means that those users on multiple forums who have multiple lookers (1000++) lookers will hit and have hit the 'tripwire" first and "Hey Presto!!" their photos turn into the PB placeholder instantly. Eventually when enough lookers have looked, every PB-linked photo anywhere on the web will be a "placeholder" with that "3RD Party Usage Expired" clockface.

The corporate salesperson who thought this was a "good idea" deserves to flown from the flagpole in font of the PB building. The executives who backed the idea should be on adjacent flagpoles next to the culprit. They have forgotten to ask the most unasked question in project management. "How much can it cost if this goes wrong?".

If PB is not careful, it will go the way of the Dodo, and probably way sooner than anyone ever expected.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:07 pm

If you're correct John then it's a race between P Bucket realising what a hash they've made of things and changing direction (did I hear a zillion cries of 'Some hope...') and the rest of the P Bucket users' photos in here vanishing forever (since no one is going to pay up).

In the manner of Dick Dastardly I would say 'Drat and triple drat' except that this situation is far from funny.

Cheers,

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Bilco » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:49 pm

'Nother test - for Imgur

Hoorah! 'Twerks :P

Whoof, whoof!
Bill

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Bilco pictures ad Avatar disapperared: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10508

Have Fun

Juergen

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Looks like your stuff might be in trouble now too Juergen, Your avatar is now another one of the black holes.
Edit - looks like you were the first on here to hit "the tripwire"
So all the Toffelholm saga in all its guises could be lost - Where is that bucket of tears emoticon when you need it??
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:37 pm

One of the groups I'm on believed itself to be the greatest repository of photos and history of Rhodesia. I just checked and the dreaded new logo has started replacing photos from some contributers. The real shame is several of the prolific posters have since died so I assume once their Photobucket account clicks past the dreaded number the photos will be lost to the internet forever.

The Photobucket.com Facebook page is running hot. I think they have stopped replying. I added a post congratulating them on their new marketing campaign which has everyone talking about Photobucket. Great stuff on how NOT to get free publicity :wink:

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Bilco » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:36 am

KEG wrote:Bilco pictures ad Avatar disapperared: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10508

Have Fun

Juergen

I've uploaded my avatar to Imgur and amended my profile so that it appears again. If only it was that simple to get all the other photos back :cry:
Bill

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby PeterH » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:29 pm

I don't like what photobucket has done because there was no warning and I think the cost is way higher than what hosting the photos costs them.

On the other hand, I think we are being selfish and naive if we expected photobucket to serve up someone's photos for free and forever, even when that person is dead.
Peter

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:39 am

On the other hand, I think we are being selfish and naive if we expected photobucket to serve up someone's photos for free and forever, even when that person is dead.

Well that is what the advertised their service as.

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby PeterH » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:46 am

Photobucket advertised/advertises itself as a photo hosting site, for storing your photos and so you can email links to your friends so they can see and download your photos. This is different to linking to photos from a website, like a forum. Also, Photobucket's terms and conditions say they can be changed at any time. I think what photobucket did was immoral, not illegal
Peter

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:42 am

Hello......help!
I have just returned from holiday and was also distraught to find the photographs have disappeared.
Has anyone any suggestions yet about perhaps re-posting my images? I'm a bit thick when it comes to computers, but I do try.
Graham

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Graham,

Ah, P Bucket (as I now call it)....

At a quick count you have taken a hit on about 28 photos on your thread (goodness knows what other horrows await you if you have used P Bucket elsewhere).

It is, as you may have noticed, perfectly possible to edit previous threads. You just have to hit the Pencil button at the top of your original post, edit at will and resubmit.

Now to replacing photos, hoping you will redo at least some, if not all. You should at least be able to see all your stuff in P Bucket, although I hope and presume you still have them safe on your computer too. Looking elsewhere the two trustworthy sites seem to be Imgur and Flickr, but we have two alternatives at home in the Gnatterbox.

1 Use the 'Attachments' option below the window you are writing in. It is, I hope, fairly straightforward, but it does tend to just drop photos at the end of a posting, rather than placing them within it

2 We have our own hosting option that works very like P Bucket but keeps it all in house. i.e. As long as the Gnatterbox is here your images are safe. It's described here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7581

Good luck!

Cheers,

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Hello Stockers, thanks for info.
As I am dubious now about using other photo storage sites I tried to use the GNatterbox Hosting site but all I got was a "this user does not exist in our database" message.. I checked and re- checked my login details but to no avail. I presume this is now a defunct system or not now working?

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby PeterH » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Grum, my gn15.info still works for me. I haven't logged in for years. I could still login even when my iPad autocorrected my user name: first letter a capital, space after.

Can you still log in to the forum?
Peter

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 am

Yes, I can still login in to the forum normally as before. I wondered if gn15.info was now obsolete, perhaps to newer members. I have also tried using capitals etc. but to no avail.
Grum

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:51 pm

My.gn15 uses The old forum user/password database as it's not compatible with the new forum software. So it 's frozen in time - OK for existing users, but there is no way to add new ones or change old ones.

This is why I am looking at new photo hosting software.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Return to “Blether”