Mussel Farming?

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Mussel Farming?

Postby AndyA » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:00 pm

We went out yesterday to the Keyhaven/Pennington area of the West Hants coast, location spotting for the long term project to build something as a home for the stock from La Salinera.

The Gun was shut, but we had a brilliant kedgeree at the Chequers instead (you'll understand that this is a loong term project), then walked along the old quarry pits and the old salt-pans. There's one remaining jetty and just beyond it (east) is what appears to me to be a small scale mussel farm, like the ones in the Gulf Morbihan in Brittany.

Now, I know we don't need any more ideas, but Moulin St Mere was one of the ideas for a 'yard of straight track' from long before I'd heard of Gn15, and a diorama built on one of my remaining 560mm boards looks easy enough. However, since Google is turning up New Hampshire and PEI, can anyone turn up a railway connection?

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:25 pm

You have me beat this time Andy :) only thing I can come up with that is anyway close, is a very vague recollection of a handworked line in Morecombe Bay for collecting cockles.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Mussel Farming?

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:37 pm

AndyA wrote:Now, I know we don't need any more ideas, but Moulin St Mere was one of the ideas for a 'yard of straight track' from long before I'd heard of Gn15, and a diorama built on one of my remaining 560mm boards looks easy enough. However, since Google is turning up New Hampshire and PEI, can anyone turn up a railway connection?

regards
Andy A

Hardly NG and not quite Mussels BUT we once had the Crab & Winkle line in Essex :lol: :
http://www.tollesbury.org/History/crabwinkle_line1.htm
Then the French had an Oyster line albeit it wasn't it's original raison d'etre, currently named the Gull line, now a tourist attraction:
http://www.traindesmouettes.com/mouette ... ste=0;3443
whereas the Crab & winkle has long gone :cry:
GerryB

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Rats

Postby AndyA » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:17 pm

Ironically, I was within about thirty miles of the Train des Mouettes two years ago, knowing nothing of its existence.

Equally ironically, having now confirmed that the place at Pennington does farm shellfish and Keyhaven lands dredged oysters, the only difference between the geography of the two areas appears to be the style of fishing boat: I'm assuming that the ones in the pictures are flat-bottomed like the ones around New England, thus presumably the river is shallower than the Solent.

Plenty to be going on with to construct at least sketches for a 15" railway that really should have existed.

Mussels roasted on pine needles. Oh yes.

regards
Andy A

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:13 am

Not a mussel farm but sort of close. A whitebait fishing village on a river. The tins of fish were taken off the small boats, taken on the tramway for packing and sealing in tins and freezing. The tramway was then used to take the tins to the airstrip where they were picked up by small Mule and Cessna type aircraft.

Paul
Gnu Zealand

ChrisMears
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Railways, Information Graphics, Brewing

was that PEI that I read

Postby ChrisMears » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:37 am

I've not been online in a while, things have been extremely busy of late. That said, I was just surfing through messages lately and I came across this thread.

Then I read "New Hampshire and PEI".

Well, good news and bad news. First the bad. No luck to offer on the mussel farms with narrow gauge tramways. That said, mussel farming is still alive and well here on the Island and if there is anything I can do to offer to help along the project, let me know.

Chris Mears
Charlottetown, PEI

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

plenty to think about

Postby AndyA » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:41 am

Paul, thanks for the pic, I think I've seen it before but had forgotten.

I'm now thinking of doing two boards: one with raised track in some sort of homage to the jetty in the picture, with reeds in front and the mussels on poles behind (easy to do because I already have most of it except the mussels and reeds) and a small boat at the back of the jetty for bringing the mussels in (I'm thinking of getting one of those "ship's lifeboats" from the posh model shop ready made and just placing it tied up alongside.

Longer term I might fish out the board I did the bodge turnplate on, put legs on it to match the height of the jetty and, following the process in the photo, bring mussels in tubs for cleaning and packing into small bags, racked on pallets or something, then loaded into a 1950's small van.

Chris, I gather that the mussel farms are actually tourist attractions as well. I have loads of pics from Brittany and the UK, but they mostly don't exactly count as pretty, so if you have or can point me at any pics, I'd be obliged.

regards
Andy A

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: plenty to think about

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:52 am

AndyA wrote:(easy to do because I already have most of it except the mussels and reeds) and a small boat at the back of the jetty for bringing the mussels in (I'm thinking of getting one of those "ship's lifeboats" from the posh model shop ready made and just placing it tied up alongside.

Not sure what you would pay for a made up one from the model shop Andy, maybe one of these would be suitable. They are from my good friend Steve Warrington of Back2Bay6 and he sells these for a charity (RNLI?). The smaller one at 120mm long for £3.50 and the larger of 200mm long at £7.50. The ones shown here are straight out of the boxes, the lobster pot, nets and bucket are fixed in place on the larger one. He should have them with him at Shepton Mallet next month if you are going.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Harald
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: private railway company in northern Germany in the late 50's (H0, 1:87) and - of course - Gn15!

Postby Harald » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:37 pm

It sounds that one cannot get them via mail ...? :cry:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:27 pm

Harald wrote:It sounds that one cannot get them via mail ...? :cry:

I think we could arrange something for you if you are interested Harald. I will check this evening to make sure he has them in stock. I could accept payment for him by Paypal for those outside the UK.

Within the UK is no problem by snailmail, Steve can be contacted on 01952 505012 (evenings only) or by email at <stevewarrington@amserve.com> to make arrangements, but has no means of electronic funds transfer, so will need payment sending by post.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:34 am

Apologies for hijacking your thread Andy.

I checked with Steve last night and he does have limited numbers of both the boats in stock. He is happy for me to take payment from outside the UK by Paypal if this will help anybody, please contact me by email, use the email button here, rather than my old AOL address which many of you will have in your address books.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:50 pm

I bought some of the smaller boats at a local garden centre a few years ago, they really are worth the money. The larger one looks similar to one I got from the souvenir shop at the Liverpool Ferry terminal. Worth checking out some of the boat souvenir shops. I think there is an importer based somewhere near Manchester, according to a toy shop in Knutsford I was in years ago. I have also managed to find similar larger boats with mast and sail, one certainlty approx 1/20 the other possibly 1/12th? All superb and amazed they are not being sold at a much higher price.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Giles B
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Giles B » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:40 pm

On the subject of boats about the right size for Gn15, the guy who runs Smallbrook Studio in the Isle of White has a range of small craft which he sells at shows along with his 7mm NG kits. The boats include a nice fishing boat/oyster boat / lobster boat (sorry, I'm not nautical enough to know the difference) which might well do in a large scale setting; it's fittings are certainly too big for 7mm scale, though the hull is only about 14 inches long. Price is around £28 -£30 but when you look at the price of other 7mm scale boats e.g. from Langley Models, it could be a bargain, even if it needs a little super-detailing for G scale.

Smallbrook advertise in Railway Modeller, but I believe the proprietor has been unwell recently, so if you have trouble contacting him, that could be why. Hopefully he'll be back around the model shows soon.
Giles

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

boats

Postby AndyA » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:11 pm

Steve (B) said...

Apologies for hijacking your thread Andy.

I'm not sure it's possible to 'hijack' a thread in 'Blether', but in any case it's not hijacking. :)

The larger boat looks just right - not what I'd thought of, but right anyway. And since my late uncle was doctor to the Eastney lifeboat, it seems like fate. I might move it to the front, with the reeds behind the jetty, though, because it's quite good looking.

I checked with Steve last night and he does have limited numbers of both the boats in stock. He is happy for me to take payment from outside the UK by Paypal if this will help anybody, please contact me by email, use the email button here, rather than my old AOL address which many of you will have in your address books.

Since I can't make Shepton Mallet, I guess Paypal from within the UK would help me, if Steve was amenable. I must PM you about the SP trucks anyway, just life got unseasonably hectic.

regards
Andy A

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Not Mussels or Hampshire, but thought the jetty details might be of interest

To put in context this is where it is from http://www.galenfrysinger.com/broome_australia.htm
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

mussel farming

Postby dana » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:06 am

:idea: try this for possible fisery labels of mussels http://www.paperstuff.com/catalog.php?category_id=1125

another link comes to mind is this
http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic ... C_ID=35838

oh by the way this might give you ideas too
http://www.yakutat-southern.com/
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )
RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:21 am

Dana... 35 pages of salmon labels I had no Idea that there were that many canners of salmon, now all we need to show is the railway connection. Who transported them?

Michael
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

mussels or salmon ?

Postby dana » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:50 pm

michael wrote:Dana... 35 pages of salmon labels I had no Idea that there were that many canners of salmon, now all we need to show is the railway connection. Who transported them?

Michael

heres a few :shock: :D http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/privlaw/78970/index.html
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )

RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:46 pm

Perhaps I ought not ask those sorts of questions, he said climbing out from under the list of railway charters. :)

Michael
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

slight change of plan

Postby AndyA » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:54 am

I'm out of modelling time until the delivery of the system into FAT, but that does give Sue and me time to think carefully about how to do the next bits.

We diagrammed the jetty diorama in the pub and I can't make the larger of Steve's boats fit. It turns out that if one farms mussels on poles (like at Pennington and also because a simple row of buoys isn't that modelgenic) there's an outward run along the jetty from the fishery building, ropes of 'spat' (or 'spalt'), which are the seed mussels for putting onto poles that have been harvested.

But, in order to load/unload, we need a flat-bottomed boat against the backdrop. This moves the mussel-poles to the foreground, so we can fit the smaller dinghy, which is probably the type of boat used at Pennington anyway, tied up against the front of the jetty, to further disguise the loading/unloading process.

Then there's room to model a small piece of lagoon behind the sea-wall, and stick hte reds in there. This gives a rationale for the railway: boats can't cross the sea-wall to get right up to hte fishery building. Heh :)

(It also makes modelling the reeds easier but the former is my story and I'm sticking to it. Now to think about dimensions for a turnplate for a pushtruck. I know a turntable would fit and be simpler and I may end up doing it that way, but...

Steve(B), is the offer to handle Paypal for the dinghy still good, if I order a self-propelled truck at the same time?

regards
Andy A

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: slight change of plan

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:42 pm

AndyA wrote:Steve(B), is the offer to handle Paypal for the dinghy still good, if I order a self-propelled truck at the same time?

No problem Andy, drop me an email when you finalise what you want and we can get things moving.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Harald
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: private railway company in northern Germany in the late 50's (H0, 1:87) and - of course - Gn15!

Postby Harald » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:55 pm

My boat arrived already last week (very fast for the long journey :wink: ) but I got it today from the post office ... it's really nice. Thanks fot the tip and the organisational things, Steve! Also thanks to the second Steve!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:37 pm

I am pleased that you like it Harald, I will pass on your thanks to the other Steve.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

pier pressure

Postby AndyA » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:41 pm

emboldened by Michael's foray into bodging, I dug out the epoxied together piece of track I'd dummied up for the alum diorama, and soldered some wires onto it. Not to worry, the sleeper I charred will be covered by planks anyway.

I might paint the rails tonight if there's time in between my work work (and the P25 and the Companies' House return). I've started cutting up stirrers to make planking. Don't have any timber the right size for the uprights and longitudinal bits, so I might have a working loader for the mussel boxes in, oh, say six weeks or so...

But hey, it's more than I've done in the last fortnight. :)

regards
Andy A

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby AndyA » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:19 am

Spurred on again, this time by Gerry's work on the salt-pans, I've finished the planking. I found a length of 6" square pine for the longitudinal struts which I've given one coat of weathering.

I've done drawings for a flat-bottomed boat based on my pics of a Breton one, not very English but it'll end up looking utilitarian. That means I can sketch in the line of the quay and the position of the loader.

The next stage is to model the quay edge and backdrop whilst I work out a convincing design for the bents supporting the pier track: I've got a bit of a problem here with narrowing the thing to 15" gauge. The short bridge at Cuddle looks okay at just over 28 scal inches wide, simply because it's short. Use the same bent design here and it looks as if it would blow away in the first gale, but, if I put the bents outside of the 28" sleeper width, there's a real problem with getting the boat in a place where it'll hide the loader.

If anyone has photos of a real pier or suchlike that's this narrow, I'd appreciate a pointer. If not, I'll go with the Cuddle design and try to divvy up the foreground so it doesn't show too much (hang lobster-pots on it and so on and so forth.

Anyone trying this for themselves, be aware that a two-track pier woul look much more convincing.

regrads Andy A
Last edited by AndyA on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Blether”