Mussel Farming?

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:56 am

AndyA wrote:If anyone has photos of a real pier or suchlike that's this narrow, I'd appreciate a pointer. If not, I'll go with the Cuddle design and try to divvy up the foreground so it doesn't show too much (hang lobster-pots on it and so on and so forth.

How about this, not a pier but a railway viaduct on the first Driving Creek which was only 10 1/4 inch gauge. the section shown is 15 ft high and to my eye is not too spindley. The main stringers were 9" x 3"
Perhaps thats the secret, to beef up the size of the both the verticle and horizontal timbers.

Or you could copy this 'minimillist' bridge.
If your pier structure doesn't look right what about modelling it at high tide so only the tops of the supports are visible.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

thanks

Postby AndyA » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am

thanks, Paul

I like the DCR one and will probably go with something like that.

Reason for not modelling high tide is that at Pennington there's this rather natty sea-wall protecting the saltmarsh and I want to model some of the reeds (this also gives a reason for the pier since the mussel boat wouldn't be able to get alongside the processing factory). If baseboard 'a' is at high tide (which I did consider) then I need to make a dropped area to put the reeds in, which is too much like hard work.
regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Agnother three hours...

Postby AndyA » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:38 am

I already had the track and the planking, so it's a bit of a cheat, but here's the pier...

It actually does look as if it would support the weight. Rail and planking just placed on top for effect, and of course it needs weathering. I'll just sit it there by my bench for the next week and figure out how I want to detail it up.

The bit of foam-core sandwich will be the sea-wall: the edge of the quay will be the support for board two. The two bottom stringers are missing because htey will be supported by a plank in the sea wall.

After the sea wall and weathering, the next stage is the backdrop and boat, which are all one piece. The date-box is a souvenir from yesterday's 'Fig an Date Fair' (in reality a gathering of morris dancers for (very) silly games and a p*ss-up. But it's about the right size to see how the boat would look.

regards
Andy A

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:08 pm

Looking good Andy.. I'd be happier trusting my weight to that structure than that one on the DCR !! That looks scary! :lol:
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Agnother three hours...

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:43 pm

AndyA wrote:I already had the track and the planking, so it's a bit of a cheat, but here's the pier...
regards
Andy A

Looks fine Andy and I'm sure the Date Box could be turned :idea: into a barge :wink: .
For your information the Countryfile program on BBC TV Sunday morning has a feature on Mussel Farming next week - probably of no use BUT you never Gnow :lol: :lol:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Agnother three hours...

Postby DCRfan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:30 am

AndyA wrote:It actually does look as if it would support the weight. Rail and planking just placed on top for effect, and of course it needs weathering. I'll just sit it there by my bench for the next week and figure out how I want to detail it up.

Andy,

If I may offer a suggestion, you need more sleepers. The lower structure is quite sufficient for the weight but the weakest point in your structure is the sleepers. Sleepers on bridges are normally 1/3 to 1/2rd the normal spacing on standard track.

And the main joists are placed directly under the rail to provide the maximum support for the sleepers directly under the rail. Yours appear to be under the tips of the sleepers. I guess trying to avoid making the pier looking to narrow and spindly by moving them out a little
Paul

Gnu Zealand

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby AndyA » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:00 am

Sighs, sucks in breath between teeth, sighs again.

I think you're right on both counts but for the moment I'm committed on the basis that it took all the modelling time I've had for three weeks. The track looks okay by itself with the planking, but the slight over-engineering of the pier section makes the problem more obvious (plus, the camera is always less forgiving than the eye, which is why photographing your own models helps).

In case it helps anyone else, were I to do it again I would (a) use smaller section (about 6" by 2") for the top stringers (b) put the top stringers inside the uprights and (c) add interest by using thin diagonal stringers along the length, between the bents.

Oh and (d) use a set-square (e) cut all the timber in advance and (f) assemble over a drawing :)

I'll probably draw up my druthers in case I come back to it after finishing board two, but for now I'll add some bolt-heads, dirty it up and hang some lobster pots on it to disguise the problems before moving on.

regards
Andy A

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:54 am

Andy,

Then all you need is an almost plauseable legend :wink: how about 'The pier was originally built for a 2 foot or 2 ft 6 inch gauge railway hence the alignment of the stringers and their thicker section :lol:

I'll add some bolt-heads, dirty it up and hang some lobster pots on it to disguise the problems before moving on.

Sounds good.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

plausible legend

Postby AndyA » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:22 am

Then all you need is an almost plauseable legend how about 'The pier was originally built for a 2 foot or 2 ft 6 inch gauge railway hence the alignment of the stringers and their thicker section

...and the ends of all the planking were washed away in the great storm of '53, about which you can here more any night in the snug bar of the pub for the price of a pint.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: plausible legend

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:50 am

AndyA wrote:
...and the ends of all the planking were washed away in the great storm of '53, about which you can here more any night in the snug bar of the pub for the price of a pint.

A don't forget the Great Fire of '67 or was it '77. Lots of experience down this way on Pier Fires. Charred timbers will bring a whole new aspect to the model Andy :idea:
Just about to drive along SoS Seafront :lol: :lol:

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:09 am

Funny I heard the Ministry made the owner take up the outer planks when they discovered they were secured with recycled lead head nails. Naturally they were not to fussed with lead nails on a mussel farm.
Last edited by DCRfan on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

tall tales

Postby AndyA » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:27 pm

Dana will be glad to gnow that after a long futile search for a Gn.. pun I've settled for the relatively feeble 'Mariner Mussels' as a brand and downloaded the Cap'n John labels from the paper site as inspiration for artwork. The printys will be the height of the mushroom ones and sized to fit two-by-two across the bed of Steve's SP Truck. I'll post them on the boxes thread when they're done. I'm assuming transport in styrofoam containers with all-over lids, which will make assembly a whole lot easier. :)

The idea of the pub is growing on me, a potential board three, leaving the whole of board two open for shunting, with the loading bay in front of the...

perhaps Gun, which is the pub actually on Keyhave quay, or Fox, on which the model will be based, or Cross Quays, which was my original intention. If it's not the latter, what to call the actual place?

regards
Andy A

shortliner
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby shortliner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

FWIW, Tain, which is just up the road from me, has a mussel industry on the Dornoch Firth, which pays into the "common good" fund for the Royal Burgh, but theirs are dredged with a small diesel boat, so they are presumambly not grown on poles. Lots of big lorries with French and Spanish company names transit the A9at certain times of the year to there, and to Kinlochbervie, to collect them.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:51 am

Not sure whether you're still into the molluscs Andy :wink: But this small 1/24 scale Fishing Boat from George Turner caught my eye :!: :
http://www.georgeturnermodels.com/index ... _cat_id=53

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Georgr Turner boat, and a service boat

Postby AndyA » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:37 pm

I was tempted by the George Turner for a while, but the thought of sawing it in half put me off.

However we haff (sory, Klaus) a new secret weapon. Today as I came across on the ferry, I noticed a Breton-style workboat in the marina. Couldn't help but notice, it's painted bright yellow. And very very shiny.

It;'s in the closed section of the marina, but nothing venture, and I've left a message behind the bar of The Castle for when the owner comes in. Apparently his wellies match the boat (yellow-wellie sailor being an insult round these parts), but hell, I only want to photograph it, not ride up the Hamble .

(I guess there is method in his madness if he has more money than sense, since these things are designed to rach the parts of rivers other beers cannot reach, so if he wants to get off the beaten track...

more when I have more, but loking like a fine industrial Gn15ish prototype when I do.

regards
Andy A

shortliner
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby shortliner » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:02 pm

Andy - the ideal site for mussel farming - www.karstenhansen.de -
from Ralphs post on the other forum. One of the buildings would be ideal!

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby AndyA » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:42 pm

It's a really nice concept and would certainly work for Hayfinch Unplugged.

...but I don't think I could afford that many half-inch segulls :)

Besides, I'm wedded to the Tollesbury Granary from the BBC Restoration Village series (well, not really, but I sat there thinking 'yeah, yet again the actual working building isn't going to win' although I may be wrong.)

regards
Andy A

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:58 pm

AndyA wrote:Besides, I'm wedded to the Tollesbury Granary from the BBC Restoration Village series (well, not really, but I sat there thinking 'yeah, yet again the actual working building isn't going to win' although I may be wrong.)

regards
Andy A

Just down the road from me Andy - you're probably right about it's lack of charisma for winning BUT I've a suspicion there's sufficient local interest for it to happen anyhow.

shortliner
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby shortliner » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:30 pm

Actually, the pictures reminded me rather of something like the Warmington-on-Sea Pier layout that was in MTI away back - I had a vision of a couple of planks of wood with an almost sea level causeway with an island instead of a pier-head. Gulls by Milliput or Fimo

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby AndyA » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:31 am

Gerry said (of Tollesbury Granary)

you're probably right about it's lack of charisma for winning

On the conrary, I thtink that both the granary and the people have a great deal of charisma.

I know the other two buildings: I'm normally a great fan of Arts and Crafts but in all honesty Watts Gallery owes more to its contents than to the building (although the skylights are clever) and Masseys Folly is like a wedding cake where everyone from the village did one sqare inch of decoration and then put them all together.

In comparison, a real working building is a breath of fresh air and deserves to win, particularly when you could have eight complete restorations for the cost of either of the other two roofs. I just can't recall an industrial project ever making it past round one.

regards
Andy A

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby AndyA » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:21 am

Walmington also appears on Carl's site, at:

http://www.carendt.us/microplans/pages/switches0/straight/index.html

I've always liked it, but I suspect that to look good in Gn15 it would need to be about six feet long. If I cleared the windowsill?

Jack, I've had a hack around the site and can't find photos of 'the buildings'. Where should I look?

(The trick with the sail-wagon will be to rotate the mast through 90degrees for the wagon to com back.)

regards
Andy A

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:54 am

shortliner wrote:Andy - the ideal site for mussel farming - http://www.karstenhansen.de -
from Ralphs post on the other forum.

AndyA wrote:It's a really nice concept and would certainly work for Hayfinch Unplugged.

I think it would be cheating to drag a sail trolley with fishing line! One of those little hand held fans would be better for providing propulsion on an indoor diorama.

AndyA wrote:...but I don't think I could afford that many half-inch segulls :)

The bird on Green End Quarry is actually a dove, painted black, but it could double for a seagull. The bird came from the top of a little bottle of bubble blowing stuff that we had a box of at our wedding. Always be on the lookout for potential G scale bits, especially freebies.

shortliner
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby shortliner » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:48 am

Andy - they are in the section called Norderoog

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:36 am

AndyA wrote:(The trick with the sail-wagon will be to rotate the mast through 90degrees for the wagon to com back.)

regards
Andy A

Hah, cheat :D Have the wind vane/sock set up so it rotates through 180 degrees when the wagon hits the buffer at each of the run :wink:

KeithB
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: World-wide NG industrial; std-gauge short-lines

Postby KeithB » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:39 am

I always thought the Hythe Pier railway would make a good Gn15 prototype. It's 2ft gauge, ex-battery (now 3rd rail) electric loco with a couple of coaches, some flat wagons for luggage, and even a tank-car for fuel for the ferry! There are quite a few photos on the web if you do a Google search.
Regards,
Keith

Dogs have owners;
Cats have staff....

Return to “Blether”