Future of the Modelling Matters section

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Future of the Modelling Matters section

Postby Glen A » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Following on from Gerry's post http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5059&start=150
I think it is time to redefine the Modelling Matters section.

Over time other sections have been created to cater for other scales. The only scale that doesn't have a specific section now is Gn15! We let that get lost in all manner of unrelated topics amongst the Modelling Matters section. (And in the description of Modelling Matters does not say this is only for Gn15). And then all sit around and wait for Gerry to trawl through and index the threads that actually belonged in there once a year.

It’s time to rename Modelling Matters to "Gn15 Models and Layouts", and appoint some ruthless moderators who can evict threads that are deemed to be "off topic" and move them elsewhere (Blether).

A prime example is a thread called 'copyright', which might have something to do with modelling matters, but does not have anything to do with Gn15 models and layouts.

Thanks for listening to my rant. :roll:
Now, does anyone agree :?:
Last edited by Glen A on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:35 pm

I've already pinged Emrys a PM about moderation, volunteering yours truly. Watch this space.

cheers,

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 pm

I agree as well, unfortunately one must reply where the topic is first posted.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing all the odd-lot scales disappear, either, even if it does mean a reduction of content. Dilution with 1:32/1:35 seems prevalent, and while the stuff is nice, it isn't what I watch Gn15 for. I don't visit 7mm or 16mm forums for that very reason, even though they do exist quite happily apart from Gn15.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Modelling Matters

Postby Bilco » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 pm

I agree. I guess when the GnATTERbox was first set up it was for Gn15, so Modelling Matters automatically dealt with that scale/gauge combo. Over time other scale/gauges more or less related to Gn15 have aroused interest and special sections for them have been created. Now there does seem to be a need for more specific labelling of a section for Gn15 matters. If it's possible just to change the title that seems to be the easiest way. If someone is willing and able to remove non-Gn15 postings to the correct section, so much the better.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 pm

While fully in support of Modelling Matters becoming the Gn15 stronghold I also believe that Gnatterbox should continue to cater for other minimum gauge and miniature railway themes such as Gnine and O9 in their own sections. As too should larger scales such as 7/8ths or 1 inch also be catered for as long as they are within the minimum gauge/miniature railway remit. However excluding other, wider but still narrow gauge, subjects completely would be a great loss. Take Peter's Two Sisters Farm for example. Its topic is a two foot gauge line, but it is still very much in the spirit of the estate type railways using minimum gauge (whatever their scales).

So by all means give Modelling Matters a spring clean and rename it Gn15 Whatever, but please don't ditch the non-Gn15 layout and stock threads, because they are still of interest to the members.

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Postby Emrys » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Aha - this explains the unusual activity in my Inbox.

Maintaining the site is manageable and the occasional (much appreciate) donation continues to just about cover running costs but thanks to those who've offered to take over that side of things. I'll keep your names on record in case the workload increases (and no, you can't now withdraw your offers!)

I'll address the applications for Moderatorship at the weekend.
Emrys Hopkins

RobM
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 16mm scale and G scale on various gauges

Postby RobM » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:55 am

As a relative new comer I will hold up my hand and admit that I, as I'm sure others have, have posted non Gn15 threads in Modelling Matters, simply because I didn't realise it was intended for Gn15 only. In future I will post my non Gn15 (but still minimum gauge!) modelling questions elsewhere.

I have to say although I own some G scale models and intend to follow this route at some point i am modelling in 16mm minimum guages at present and I joined as I had never seen a forum of such enthusiastic and, above all, cheerfully helpful modellers modelling in anything close to the scale/gauge combination that I wanted to try. I do understand the need to not lose sight of what the forum was originally set up for, but as a newbie, and having learnt so much in such a short time, I feel that having a section devoted to modelling techniques, regardless of scale/guage, is a great way to develop, discuss and learn with/from others triumphs (and failures, cos we all have 'em :lol: ).
Rob M

one wife, two kids, 7 pets and more modelling hobbies than is probably healthy!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Re: Future of the Modelling Matters section

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 am

Glen A wrote:Over time other sections have been created to cater for other scales. The only scale that doesn't have a specific section now is Gn15!

Well yes and no :roll:
Originally, Modelling Matters, Prototype Prattles and Trade Tittle Tattle were all grouped under the Gn15 heading. Due to a few (who are no longer active) not liking being grouped under the Gn15 banner, the "or Gnear Enough" bit was added after and was probably a mistake with hindsight, as it opened the doors to other stuff being posted incorrectly in that section.
Even though there is the prototype section directly below modelling matters, threads still get posted relating to the prototype, in the modelling section, so what are we to do?
Hopefully with a new moderator coming onboard, this problem can be sorted, but give him time to settle in :wink:

A prime example is a thread called 'copyright', which might have something to do with modelling matters, but does not have anything to do with Gn15 models and layouts.

That one was a simple mistake and as soon as Jeff was made aware that he could delete it, he did so. One less job for the new moderator to do
:)
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:07 am

RobM wrote:As a relative new comer I will hold up my hand and admit that I, as I'm sure others have, have posted non Gn15 threads in Modelling Matters, simply because I didn't realise it was intended for Gn15 only. In future I will post my non Gn15 (but still minimum gauge!) modelling questions elsewhere.

Dont worry Rob, it's close enough, 16mm scale falls under what is generally taken to be "Garden" scale and as you are modelling minimum gauge it's fine in that section. If you had been using 32mm gauge though, that would have needed to go down below in the not minimum gauge section.
Confusing isn't it :lol:
Perhaps this place being so relaxed and flexible doesnt help in this regard, but thats just the character of the place. It is supposed to be fun.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:47 am

Rivets.. Rivets.. Rivets.. . Please don't start counting them, that is exactly what the Gnatterbox is NOT about.
Others forums start and then decline though lack of interest, but the Gnatterbox keeps attracting new members, and is well respected by many others who just watch and gain inspiration.
Even the 'G' is a subject for discussion, and has been, as G scale now in modelling(and manufacturers) language seems to refer to anything from 1/20 down to 1/29. 16mm foot( I won't use term SM32 as some don't like it) is at one end and Gauge 1 at the other.

I would not want to see too much over-moderating, it did happen a few years ago(certainly more than a couple anyway) when the sections dealing with other scale/gauges started up, and one section was started for one scale/gauge but the wording was vague and my postings got moved.

I think part of the problem is when threads get side tracked(I suppose we could use the term, switching onto a branchline), and I am as just as guilty as others, but that is what creativity does. Ideas lead to others, and combining simplicity in structure, with continuity of ideas is difficult. It is probably a marker of a good online forum that there is so much generation of new ideas, so please don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Blackcloud Railways wrote:While fully in support of Modelling Matters becoming the Gn15 stronghold I also believe that Gnatterbox should continue to cater for other minimum gauge and miniature railway themes such as Gnine and O9 in their own sections. As too should larger scales such as 7/8ths or 1 inch also be catered for as long as they are within the minimum gauge/miniature railway remit. However excluding other, wider but still narrow gauge, subjects completely would be a great loss. Take Peter's Two Sisters Farm for example. Its topic is a two foot gauge line, but it is still very much in the spirit of the estate type railways using minimum gauge (whatever their scales).

So by all means give Modelling Matters a spring clean and rename it Gn15 Whatever, but please don't ditch the non-Gn15 layout and stock threads, because they are still of interest to the members.

+1 to this. I come here via the "Minimum Gauge" entry rather than the "Gnatterbox" one. I've an interest in all things minimum gauge whatever the scale and like my horizons kept broad. Although, as has been said, there are Min Gauge bits on other forums, they are just add-ons and don't have the sort of depth and width or the unique approach that this forum offers.

Indeed, I wouldn't have any interest in Gn15 if I hadn't have come here to look at some O9 stuff and then been amazed by some of the larger scale modelling....if you cut out the other scales then you run the risk of reducing people's expose to Gn15.

And, after all, if each scale has its own little section then those that are Gn15 only don't have to bother looking at the stuff that doesn't interest them.

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Modelling Matters

Postby Bilco » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:34 pm

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that other scales should be "cut out" - only that the thread intended for Gn15 modelling is labelled accordingly.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:40 pm

I think Gnine should be modelled by everyone. So delete modelling matters and force people to model in Gnine. Everyone wins... 8)

*ahem* I mean...

The relaxed air and fun nature of this forum make it the best to visit on the internet on any subject - I don't agree that all the topics in Modelling Matters are Gn15 related but if they further inspire Gn15 (or any) modellers to go off and try something similar...I don't see the harm.

It would be fun to see the other scales come together, but perhaps the way things are is how it works best...if it 'ain't broke, dunt fix it!
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:50 pm

would be concerned if there were more sections added, as my experience with other forums is that the lower down sections get fewer hits, so can get inappropriate items added to top sections. Might explain why Modelling gets more posts.

There was a problem(?) a couple of years ago when some new sections were added and wording was not clear enough, resulting in some of my posts being moved. It as when we were moving out into other scale/gauge combinations.
Also as matter of interest how does this forum compare with its sister Model Trains Interactive?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

Postby bonneville » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:01 pm

:oops: erm.....

So although I am just starting out in gn15, am I right in posting my 1:32 20" stuff in the gnot minimum gauge section, rather than modelling matters,? Or have got my wires crossed?

Sorry if I've boobed, Newbie to forums.

A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 pm

bonneville wrote::oops: erm.....

So although I am just starting out in gn15, am I right in posting my 1:32 20" stuff in the gnot minimum gauge section, rather than modelling matters,? Or have got my wires crossed?

Sorry if I've boobed, Newbie to forums.

A.

Yes Alex. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:21 pm

I know we tend to think minimum gauge is no more that 15in or possibly 18in, according to Wikipedia(not sure where they get their info) it is anything under 2ft gauge.
Minimum gauge railways have a gauge of less than 2 ft (610 mm) or 600 mm (1 ft 11 5⁄8 in),[citation needed] most commonly 15 in (381 mm),[1] 400 mm (15 3⁄4 in), 18 in (457 mm) or 500 mm (19 3⁄4 in).

so is that what we are using as a guide.

Here is the link to the website, some interesting facts to discuss
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_gauge_railway

My current project could be judged either way as I am using a mixture of 1/35 and 1/32, and to the naked eye difficult to tell the difference, but I will run some trains as 1/32 50cm gauge(minimum?) and some as 1/35 60cm gauge(not minimum). Have not finally agreed on time period which ill determine which trains run. As it will be mainly 1/35, suspect my APA project is under wrong category and would not grumble if it was moved.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:29 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:Also as matter of interest how does this forum compare with its sister Model Trains Interactive?

MTI is a much quieter place Simon. It comes to life around each publication date, as is to be expected because it is the magazine's feedback forum.

As for the modelling that takes place, the mag tends to concentrate on small and medium sized individual layouts rather than bigger club built ones and this is reflected on the forum. There's no real preference for scale and gauge but some obscure overseas themes often get a mention.

Boghopper
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railway modelling

Postby Boghopper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Although I don't model GN15 (shame on me) I do enjoy reading the exploits of those who do. I feel privileged to be part of such an August body of modellers. Especially as they allow me to post my occasional ramblings in 0-16.5.

I do visit other forums (fora?). But none have the breadth of knowledge or expertise, nor do they have such a light-hearted and intelligent attitude to the hobby. By all means limit modelling matters but please keep the other scale/gauges for us "hangers on".
Capability Chris

Creating beautiful gardens across the southeast
http://chrisodonoghue.co.uk
http://gdngrs.com Greenwich and District Narrow Gauge Railway Society
- visit http://expong.org Expo Narrow Gauge

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Bob,what you say is correct, but there is a lot of info not immediately obvious, many people visit forums, but are not members, those that are members don't necessarily log on, and even if they do log on might not post anything. I was just interested in the comparative stats given the common links.
As narrow gauge(in particular our particular brand) is a minority sport compared to other parts of the hobby, I would expect less interest than in a forum covering a wider spectrum of the hobby. But I suspect traffic through the Gnatterbox is higher, as it is becoming well known as a fun and well organised forum.
There have been a couple of , not sure how I should describe them, incidents, but certainly compared to some forums I have heard stories about, we are a pretty good bunch.
I do sometimes think things are going a bit quiet so put the odd thing in to wake things up, although they are also things I am actually interested in discussing, and discussion is an important part of online forums.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:18 am

Back to your original MTI question Simon, it is a sister forum only in so much as it is run by the same admin. There is a limited amount of dual membership between the two but in the main Gnatterbox caters for minimum gauge enthusiasts and MTI for subscribers to the magazine. The two are not the same by a long chalk.

As I said the magazine deals mainly with individual's layouts, the lone wolf modeller rather than the joint efforts of a club. Again there is a similarity there between the two forums because Gn15 is almost exclusively the domain of individuals, even the APA modules fall into this category because they are built at home by the likes of you and I rather than in a club room as a joint project. I'll probably be proved wrong now as somebody points out a huge club built Gn15 layout which has been on the exhibition circuit for ages. :lol:

As for Gnatterbox being a friendly and civilised (though undeniably eccentric at times) place, that is down 100% to the friendly, civilised and sometimes eccentric nature of the members.

Long may it stay that way. :D

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 am

Blackcloud Railways wrote: I'll probably be proved wrong now as somebody points out a huge club built Gn15 layout which has been on the exhibition circuit for ages. :lol:

As for Gnatterbox being a friendly and civilised (though undeniably eccentric at times) place, that is down 100% to the friendly, civilised and sometimes eccentric nature of the members.

Long may it stay that way. :D

Maybe Gnot huge but Secciole Salina: forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5215
although tagged with my name was refurbished/significantly upgraded by Basildon MRC and has been on the Exhibition circuit since 2006 (and still is)
Overall length is 3.2 metres however part of that is not layout but a display board showing Proto location as a result of a visit I made to Piran in Slovenia.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Postby Emrys » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:23 am

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
rue_d_etropal wrote:Also as matter of interest how does this forum compare with its sister Model Trains Interactive?

MTI is a much quieter place Simon. It comes to life around each publication date, as is to be expected because it is the magazine's feedback forum.

As for the modelling that takes place, the mag tends to concentrate on small and medium sized individual layouts rather than bigger club built ones and this is reflected on the forum. There's no real preference for scale and gauge but some obscure overseas themes often get a mention.

You may find it hard to believe, but I spend even less time on the MTI forum than I do on the GnATTERbox! :D

The only similarity is that I set up both, provide the hosting and do any coding that's needed for both.
Emrys Hopkins

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:17 pm

One reason I asked was that because the two forums are held on same servers(I presume) , there is technically less difference than to websites on different servers. The only difference would then be the visitors, real and robot.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Blether”