The Eagle has Landed

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

The Eagle has Landed

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 pm

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/
Said to be the best 18 minutes you'll ever spend online. :roll:
A matter of opinion however many wouldn't have been around on this day some 44 years ago. I remember it well. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

One Small Step ...

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu May 02, 2013 11:50 pm

In a time when the newest iPhone and iPod dominate and excite, when GPS is within everyone's reach, and Google and the internet make anything easily known, it seems pretty simple to state that men walked on the Moon -- twelve of them, to be precise. But back then, when it happened -- this was pivotal, this was epochal, this was history. Talk about real excitement.

When "we" collectively as a Nation decided to go for the Moon, we hadn't even yet launched a man into space, though the Russians had. Furthermore, the idea that we could do it before the end of that decade was considered by many even within the various fields of the endeavor to be lunacy. Keep in mind that nothing mechanical that was used on the effort had even been invented yet, nothing. Not the huge Saturn V rocket, the space suit itself, and not even some of the physical materials that would be used. It hadn't even been named -- Apollo.

It was a work of giants, spread across the Nation and passing through the hands of some 400,000 to 450,000 workers whose sole aim it was to put those men there, on time, to some arbitrary and likely political timetable first outlined by a President who would barely live to see even 1/10th of the progress completed.

It was a process that would see several of the Astronauts die before any manned Apollo mission was even launched; two right here in St. Louis -- Elliot See and Charles Bassett -- at the old McDonnell-Douglas plant across from Lambert Airport. Three more on the launch pad during a routine Friday evening test -- "Gus" Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee. Two more in routine flight accidents: Ted Freeman and Clifton Williams. It was costly in terms of money and in lives. Tell me the name of one person who died horrifically developing the iPhone?

It was even more amazing in the technological aspect. The Lunar Lander itself had an on-board computer with a system memory of about 75 kilobytes -- your average pocket calculator is far smarter, and far less important, and your current cell phone is massively more intelligent. Yet that simple thing was all they had. Imagine you're going to fly to the Moon, and your final approach computer is something we give away for free today when you go to a trade show. I doubt many people would even drive up to the Quickie-Mart for a soda with such a device as their sole means of survival.

I don't know exactly where I am going with this, just that I find it pretty amazing, even 44 years after the event, to consider that it happened at all -- and wonder personally when we will next see anything remotely akin to it to fire the imagination and lift our spirits.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 am

Jeff you have me feeling all patriotic, even put my hand on my heart :D What country do you live in ? :wink:
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Postby WaterleyShunter » Fri May 03, 2013 8:10 am

Interesting point about the technology comparison Jeff.

I reckon that on the next moon mission they won't even need a pilot. The crew can just sit in their little box and let the computer do the all the flying.

Though they will probably be going there to mine for minerals. It is all very well to travel in space for the purposes of exploration, but its a weak motivation really. The principal reason why humans didn't carry right on to Mars was that improving human knowledge and showing 'it can be done' is not an adequate reason for spending the money. Thinking you can get rich, however, really makes things move. See how SpaceX and the other space companies have moved ten times faster than the government space agencies. They will be the ones who send humans off to other worlds again and any firing of imaginations and lifting of spirits will be purely coincidental beside the main purpose of making some entrepreneurs stupendously rich through tourist trips and mining ventures.

Hope I'm not too far OT.

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Fri May 03, 2013 10:01 am

It is still debatable, by some, as to whether it really happened.
Having seen some of their 'evidence' with shadows in the wrong places, etc, it is thought provoking.
Just Playing Trains!

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Fri May 03, 2013 1:50 pm

I actually wrote that as a blog entry the week Neil Armstrong died ... but felt it being re-purposed here would dovetail in nicely with Gerry's post and link.

As time goes on, it might seem it may not have happened, but if you personally have a good enough telescope, you can see the landing sites yourself with your own eyes. If they managed to get the hardware there for a 'faked' landing, it would not have added all that much expense to get the men there too (VBG).

The next step will be tourism it seems, with LEO being possible, and thence on to mining the Moon or better yet, the Asteroids ...
Jeff Saxton

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Sun May 12, 2013 12:49 pm

For me, a small piece of nostalgia. At some ungodl hour in the morning I was watching it in the window of a radio television shop in Blankenberge (Belgium). The owner had wonderfully left the televisions on.

We went back there a couple of years ago. It's now a baker's shop, but the croissants were vere good.:)

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sun May 12, 2013 5:31 pm

fatmac wrote:
It is still debatable, by some, as to whether it really happened.
Having seen some of their 'evidence' with shadows in the wrong places, etc, it is thought provoking.

You need to check out the Mythbuster's Moon Landing episode clips.

Totally busts the myths.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Sun May 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Completely beyond the original post, but if you fellows in the UK can get it, the HBO cable TV mini-series from the Tom Hanks/Ron Howard production team, titled "From the Earth to the Moon" is worth every single penny.

In fact, I think I've just determined my evening viewing schedule!!
Jeff Saxton

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 micro

Postby Larry » Mon May 13, 2013 4:50 am

fatmac wrote:It is still debatable, by some, as to whether it really happened.

Haha. If they faked the moon landings, why haven't they faked any for 40 years?

Ratings go down?

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 am

Lost the script :wink:
.....WARNING....

Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.

1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.

Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......

Have a good one....John B.

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Mon May 13, 2013 7:22 pm

The main thing is that if they were fake the Russians wouldn't have let them get away with it.. Both sides were watching what the others were doing very closely (I believe Jodrell Bank intercepted the transmission of photos of the moon from LUNA 9 and they were published in the UK before the russian space agency had released them...). How better to humiliate your cold war enemy, which is currently crowing about beating you in the space race, than to categorically point out they'd faked it? Given that the russians accepted that they'd been beaten, I'd go with that.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue May 14, 2013 8:20 am

The whole world was thinking 'space', and David Bowie released single 'Space Oddity'.
Here is an up to date version , recorded and filmed on space station. Interesting how things have gone over 40 years. Progress? Change?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue May 14, 2013 1:33 pm

At some ungodl hour in the morning I was watching it in the window of a radio television shop in Blankenberge (Belgium).

Strange, I noticed it in Oostende / Belgium at a place called "La Chevre Folle"

We were stoned or drunk anyway, so we did not pay too much attention.
Walking on the moon or travelling in space was not really important for us.

I remember, our friend Derroll was around as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7muZNVAWfw

The David Bowie cover version is definitely a silly fake.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Blether”