Canadian Narrow Gauge

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Canadian Narrow Gauge

Postby RoGNer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:41 pm

With thoughts turning to our holiday in August... here's a question to any Canadian buddies on the Gnatterbox or anyone who's been.

We are thinking of flying to Toronto and heading out from there - Ottawa and Montreal way.

Any narrow gauge "not to be missed" railways in that area?

Cheers
Roger

:D
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:16 am

I have to give you sad news, there is none. Lots of railway, no narrow gauge. However if you go to Ottawa there is a Science and technology museum that does have a few bits of 3ft narrow gauge from Newfoundland. There oddly enough is a science center in Toronto with a Welsh Quarry locomotive which was criminally cut up so one could see how a loco works, this center also has a large Emmitt collection which is taken out at Xmas time. Any other narrow stuff is archeology as in you would have to know it had been there 50 yrs ago and want to hike to look at very little, and watch out for rattle snakes. Sadly it is also the opposite direction.
Just in case you are looking at maps and the perspective has you confused Ottawa and Montreal are both 5 hr drives from Toronto. they are about an 75 minutes from each other. Most Ontario maps are in one scale for southern Ontario and half that scale again for the north, the only way it fits on a paper fold out map. Southern Ontario Highways are multi lanes, 4 or 6 lane where many "highways" north are 2 lane with lower speed limits that can go up and down as you pass through towns.
I live close to Pearson Airport (toronto international) if you have any other questions just pm me.

Scott
Scott B

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Many thanks for the information Scott - i havent invested in a map yet but soon will! Interesting info about the museums and Emett too - thanks

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

Return to “Blether”