Latest on import duty and charges

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Latest on import duty and charges

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:43 am

I know this is a big issue with some, including me. Many of us in UK now don't buy from USA because of the import charges levied on us.
I have no objection to paying the duty/VAT but the office charge is too much.
Anyway I have noticed on ebay a new service where you pay up front. I have tried this and parcel came through very quick. There was a note in the parcel from eBay about parcel checking, and this has made me think that the new service is run by ebay themselves. Also the actual cost is not much different to what it would cost to pay afterwards.
Now my mind has been thinking. This new service seems to have started soon after the privatisation of our own Royal Mail, and it also looks like an attempt by ebay not only to up sales from USA to UK, but also make a bit(quite a lot actually) on the side. The other thing is that I still don't think it right to have to pay a company to collect a tax, as the government is in really the customer and they as the customer should pay for the service. It might have been possible to justify this(
:?: :twisted: ) when Royal Mail was publicly owned but as it is now a private company it is not so justified.
Actually wondering if this should be raised at an official level. It is a complex issue, tied to international trade agreements(again this was one reason for delays in post between USA and UK), but it is drifting towards yet more PRIVATE companies making more money from us the paying public. :twisted:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Large box from Germany.

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 am

This is on a bit lighter a note. I ordered a small HO loco from Germany. Now I have noticed most post from Germany tends to be DHL, no problem here, but when I came home a couple of days ago there as a large DHL box,filled with lots of foam pellets and one very small loco box(with loco in it).
Considering post office now charges more for bigger packages I find it a bit amusing that another private delivery company(remember the Royal Mail has now joined that club) is happy to transport so many large, mainly empty boxes. :lol:
Pity is the chassis from the loco is not suitable for initial project(see my other posts on suitable loco chassis etc a while back) and I am looking for a suitable loco for it now. Best thing to do is put it away with some other things and concentrate on more urgent projects. So easy to get distracted.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Maybe DHL has standard boxes for packing in air shipping containers and the working formula is tiny boxes get lost in the shuffle and require extra handling to prevent that.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 pm

I am sure I have had smaller boxes via DHL. I think they charge the same what ever size the box, so easier for a trader to use only one box size.
A few years ago I ordered a couple of Mehano train sets from Amazon. Not sure if I selected them separately, but they both came on their own large box, nearly twice size of the Mehano packaging.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

DHL

Postby Thorness » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:49 pm

As far a s I am aware DHL use a combination of weight and volume to set the cost. 10kg of feathers would cost more than 10kg of steel to ship. I'm sure they know their system but it is a mystery to me!

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:44 pm

I think their starting size must be pretty big though. The loco could have been safety posted in a large padded jiffy bag, which is what most using post office would do.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm

It would be nice if there was more competition concerning who can collect / how we pay any duty/VAT owed. Maybe the cost would drop. In the past it felt like we were being done over by the treasury. Now it just seems to be a cash cow for the privatised Royal Mail.

Simon.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 pm

I am hoping that privatisation might make the position clearer. Suspect it will just continue, with us mortals being ripped off by greedy companies working in conjunction with greedy governments.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:30 am

G'day Simon

This is why I like the Australian system.
Anything under $1000 comes in duty/GST (our version of VAT) free.

Maybe not so good for the local suppliers but handy for those things that they don't stock.

Don't know for how long it will last but not afraid to use it now.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:47 pm

just had a couple of items from USA using new service, in effect paying duty up front. Still think it is more to do with ebay making even more money. Anyway in neither case did I have to sign to receive item. Considering packages are tracked all the way, odd they don't want proof I have received them. It was a different delivery service not Royal Mail. I wasn't in when I had had a parcel from USA a few weeks ago so not sure if that had to be signed for.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

ijopson
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: MODELMAKING, WOODWORK

Postby ijopson » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:37 pm

When I used the local DHL depot to send some magazines out I opted for the size of box to fit the goods, but was told that, as they weighed xlbs they had to go in box size4, even though I then had to find a load of stuffing to fill half a box. Probably logical to some buearocrat.
(and I know that's not spelt right, but you know what it says)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:50 pm

I would imagine there is some logical link between size and weight. Possibly linked to how boxes are packed. I would not blame bureaucracy for this one though, but they are responsible for nearly everything else.
Every bureaucrat could be replaced by a machine, in effect they are duplicating the jobs done by computers, and then people with common sense could be employed. Trouble is politicians would not want this because they need bureaucrats to carry out their instructions and take the blame when things go wrong. Bureaucrats need politicians so they can blame someone else, and say they ere just following instructions/orders.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:53 am

this, which was posted on the NGOnline forum might be relevant

" This is causing difficulties at the moment,. Since the beginning of the year, the Border Agency now collects the duty on behalf of the HMRC ( previously the HMRC did it themselves ). The Border Agency has adopted a new very aggressive policy and nearly every packet of non-EU origin is being ruthlessly dutied. "
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Will be interesting to see how they handle Japanese packages, prior to change have never had to pay any charges - all were over limit.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:27 pm

as long as they are honest, up front, and don't charge extra just to collect the duty then it should be OK. If they are greedy, like the Post office were, then there may be big grumbles. Paying tax once is bad enough, paying it twice is unreasonable.
I think eBay have jumped in to offer their services, obviously making money on the deal themselves. Almost as bad as the Post Office.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Japan. As much of what Japan produces is not exported, the only way to get things is direct. Even when some traders advertise stuff, even Gaugemaster, they can't always get hold of stuff. I don't think Tomix is officially imported into UK. There is certainly no official importer.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Blether”