Malaysia Airlines MH370

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Malaysia Airlines MH370

Postby Thorness » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Can anyone tell me why the flight recorder information is not streamed from the aircraft back to "HQ" rather than just being recorded on board?
Obviously it wouldn't stop tragedies like this happening but at least there would be information about where to start looking.
A colleague at work tells me that Rolls-Royce continuously monitor their engines (not sure if that is correct) and if so the other data should be streamable.
When flight recorders were first installed I don't imagine it was feasible but is the system overdue for an update?
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Re: Malaysia Airlines MH370

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Thorness wrote:A colleague at work tells me that Rolls-Royce continuously monitor their engines (not sure if that is correct) and if so the other data should be streamable.

Yes, RR provide a maintenance package that includes real-time monitoring of engine data, it was mentioned in a documentary on RR's new series of engines on the TV a couple of years back.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 pm

G'day Don

Funny you should ask. There was an interview on the local radio just a few moments ago where this very subject was brought up.
Apparently there is about one terabyte of information collected by the black box on an average flight.
This is a lot of information which would have to probably sent to satellites, at least while the aircraft are over the oceans.
Then multiply that by the number of aircraft in the air at any one time and there would probably be a major system meltdown :shock:

Although it might be possible to just send the location and altitude every minute or so, which would cut the volume of radio traffic but still give a valid starting point to start searching.

But this information is probably covered by the plane's radar transponder ---- but we are also told, this was actually turned off by somebody on-board sometime in this flight.
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:25 pm

To get idea how much metal is gallivanting around up there, have a look at Flight Radar 24 live tracker.
If I understand their numbers correctly, there are over 1000 planes in that section of map on-screen.
(And go have a look over the lower 48 here, it's crazy!)

later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:36 pm

G'day All
Last night the local TV station threw together a one hour 'special'.
Theories ranged from human error to alien abduction.

Think the whole exercise was just to use lots and lots of computer animation of planes exploding and breaking up and to fill our screen with flames and broken aircraft.

The constantly shot themselves in the foot ---- theory that people phoned passengers and got a ringtone, so phones must be active ---- telephone engineer explained that a ringtone could be heard by the caller even if the recipient had turned off his phone --- ten minutes later in the program, the same theory that the phone must be there as ringtones could be heard, was proudly announced yet again.
Don't they listen to their own program ?

All in all, a waste of an hour of TV time.
Luckily I spent most of that time designing a automated fiddle yard for my next layout.

Unfortunately, despite its faults it was probably the best thing on TV at that time.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:29 am

What is this "OMG! I have to speculate with no foundation to go from or the sun will explode and all the Bambis will die!" thing that people have?

And there hasn't even been a television set in this house for years and years.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:37 am

I guess, speculation like that makes 'them' feel important. :lol:
Just Playing Trains!

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:19 pm

That's a frightening number of planes on the USA chart!
I guess its not as bad as it looks by the time the height differences are allowed for.

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 am

G'day

Latest news now is that the plane was high-jacked and the tracking device turned off by somebody.
Maybe the on/off switch should be on the outside of the aircraft where it cannot be reached during the flight ?

"OMG! I have to speculate with no foundation to go from or the sun will explode and all the Bambis will die!"

And now for what actually happened -----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCUBVS4kfQ

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:44 am

Godzilla, "Honey, can you get a towel and reach my toes?"
That hijacking thing is quite interesting in that some "experts" on some earlier news reports had said no way, didn't happen. And that on comments on a couple articles, the people who suggested hijacking were mercilessly mocked.
Hmm, who's having the last laugh now.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:33 pm

I can see that.
When asked why it took so long to release the information, Montol said, "Because we did not pay any attention to it. The Royal Thai Air Force only looks after any threats against our country, so anything that did not look like a threat to us, we simply look at it without taking actions."

He said the plane never entered Thai airspace and that Malaysia's initial request for information in the early days of the search was not specific.
"Alright, that one's irrelevant, on to the next thing."
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/18/t ... %3D455054#

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Ask a pilot!
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh ... ical-fire/
They'll only know if theory is correct when (if) they ever find the plane.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:10 am

Gerry Bullock wrote:They'll only know if theory is correct when (if) they ever find the plane.
Yep. And ya gotta feel for all the folks who had loved ones on the plane. And for those loved ones on the plane.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Pilots are against live feeds as they claim that the intrusion is against their human right to privacy.

Also transponders may have to be turned off in the event of a malfunction.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Return to “Blether”