Posting on forums?

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Posting on forums?

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:37 am

I have been involved in a couple of discussions concerning online forums. There are 2 distinct styles of forum, the php style here, which allows multi dimensional discussions , and the older linier style still used by Yahoo, and interestingly Facebook.
The discussions related to signatures. On php forums these can be set up automatically, so you can put all your brain power into the message, not having to remember to sign the message.
As I use a pseudoname for forums this links this to my real name without having to remember to do it.
My Hotmail account also has this feature, so that's easy for email. Unfortunately Yahoo does not have this option(unless its well hidden in a badly designed system) so most of my messages tend to go unsigned, unless I reply to the email which is sent whenever a message is posted on that forum. I tried this and it worked, but I did not feel I was part of the forum. When you are actually logged onto the Gnatterbox, you feel like you are in a room of friends. That is a very important part of online forums.
I have not even looked to see whether it is possible to post messages here via email, but I would not want to. Chances are I would not see something else on the forum which was relevant, and might have changed what I said.
Personally I would not like to see a link between email and online forums, except it useful sometimes to tell you there is a new message. For a busy forum that then generates a lot of messages, so clogs up my email account. I prefer to actually look at the forum, and it is far more enjoyable than just reading emails.
I am sure this is something either being investigated by psychologists or something they should be.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Blether”