SSL compromised don't use any password sites!

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

SSL compromised don't use any password sites!

Postby Cross Kitter » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Just heard on BBC news that the Secure Sockets Layer encryption has been breached and that logging on to things like your bank can give your password to criminals. DO NOT go on to change your passwords as this will still allow them to get in later.

STAY away from any site you have to use a password for that you don't want anyone to get into - like your bank.

This is not a scare but seems genuine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26954540

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/0 ... 12793.html

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/04/heartb ... -so-scary/

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:11 pm

does not surprise me. what bothers me is a lot of this has been known about, but certain powers don't bother do do anything.
Worrying that you say one thing(expert advice) but the so called experts say just to change passwords. Maybe its also a plot to make it easier for spooks to hack our systems.
I also wonder if government has thought of implications for its new benefit system, where you have yo use online to get set up.
If anyone starts posting odd messages here we will know we are compromised.
How much are we not being told. Just remember someone mentioning payment system for eBay was not working a few days ago, a system I have highlighted as a potential security problem. Was it a problem, or just an attempt to fix this problem.
The article does say they are not sure if any breaches made, in itself worrying, but if anyone does have a problem, how will the banks react, as I suspect they know there has been a potential problem, but work on the assumption that no-one has taken advantage(as far as they know).
Could this result in pressure to return to more traditional methods, mirroring the down turn in use of e-books in favour of real paper books and paper based systems,
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:37 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:... mirroring the down turn in use of e-books in favour of real paper books and paper based systems,
Not having an e-book thing, and not paying overly much attention to the news lately, I didn't realize that was happening.

Eerr, the password thing, you just don't know any more which news is how much of what; or even whether some of it is real.
To quote from Don Henley's Dirty Laundry
You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:01 pm

No one seems to be overly worried about it on the (Linux) Open Source forums that I frequent, so I guess it's a 'possible' but not as worrying as is being made out.

To be honest, if there is something found to be wrong with an Open Source program, it gets fixed a lot quicker than that other OS that most people use.
Just Playing Trains!

Return to “Blether”