Camera tripod from card

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Paperengi
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15, 1n15, card modelling, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Legos

Camera tripod from card

Postby Paperengi » Wed May 21, 2014 1:07 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry this post isn't train related, but I thought I'd share a little thing that I've made. Whenever I try to take pictures on my layouts in tight spaces, it is hard to keep the camera still. However, a full size or mini tripod is still too large and I would have have to spend money :roll:. Thus, I made it out of card—completely free, and custom sized.

First, you can see the whole thing with the camera screwed onto the top plate.
If you look at the words, you can tell that it was shot in a mirror on timer mode. By using timer, I can hopefully get clearer pictures. In the shortest setting, the tripod is about 3.5" (8.9 cm) from the ground to the bottom of the camera

Next, you can see its fully extended height of 4.5" (11.4 cm).
The top plate can pivot about 15 degrees off the vertical fore/aft

Finally, you can see the tripod folded up.
It's roughly pocket-sized, though I'm not sure if it's tough enough to survive in one's pocket. (The camera is 7 oz. (194g) but it is made of copy paper and cotton swabs...)

Cheers,
Chris
Building and engineering exclusively with card

Chris

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed May 21, 2014 4:01 am

Yeah, that pocket thing could be an issue!
Card is such amazingly useful stuff. Funny that before coming here, I was looking at the model rocketry forum - in the sections about card rockets.

Timer mode is an excellent idea to get clear images.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Blether”