after 5 years on Facebook, I bailed out.

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed May 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Yeah, kind of a bummer, after 5 years on Facebook, I 'initiated the self destruct sequence' and bailed out. But it also had to happen. My health is a mess and Facebook's malfunctions, misfunctions, and dysfunctions, had become intolerable.
Had a lot of fun friends.
A lot of family all over the planet is on there.
Was in a few health support groups and become known as the go-to guy to research things about which people wondered. Was one of the moderator staff in one group and on one page. I owned a group.

A number of model train, miniatures game, kite, model rocket, outfits are on there. NASA, with several pages for specific installations, such as Wallops Island, which announces when live video of launches will be. Same for ESA and Ariane. Model Railroad Craftsman magazine is on there. Garden Railways is on there.

True, social media does have some legitimate criticisms against it; however, when you find the right people in the right places, some very good information can be learned and shared.

But, over last weekend, it hit the 'enough is enough' level.
Deactivated account for several days, then the other day started the Delete process. Don't log in for a few days and then account vanishes in to the aether. Supposedly.

And in the "This just in!" category,
Update: A Facebook representative responded to say that this "ask" feature has been rolled out in waves to users since January, though when asked pointedly whether this was in the form of the obvious "ask" button that is now live across the site, or previously reported functionality buried in users' profiles, the representative was unable to clarify. Our additional questions about how "private" response data would be handled, and why Facebook made the change, remained unanswered.
:evil:
Bold by me.
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/05 ... ile-pages/
That clinched the deal, Adios Mark Z., sir, I'm gone.

Will miss the people, some dear friends were made. From all over the planet. But I am done with the platform. Done.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Wed May 21, 2014 7:20 pm

You stuck with it a long time, I quit after 6 weeks!
Just Playing Trains!

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Wed May 21, 2014 9:55 pm

I quit years ago when I became addicted to one of the early Pirate games. No one would join my Pirate Crew when invited, so I could only progress so far without paying real money for digital crew and stuff. No Way!

I figured I was much better off playing trains, ditched the game, ditched facebook and have never looked back! :D

For those who haven't seen it, there is a wonderful episode of the Comedy IT Crowd where they are all addicted to "Friendface". Catch the series if you can. Funny stuff :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed May 21, 2014 10:26 pm

tend to mainly use it to connect family, especially before birthdays and Christmas, when we are swapping wish lists.
I was 'talking' to one son today, he had to send me some info to use on an auto telephone reply service. Email would have been too slow, and the facebook message came through just in time for the phone call.
So it does have its uses, just know how to take control, rather than let it run your life.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu May 22, 2014 2:10 am

Fortunately, in a way, the problems with my hands long ago led to a decision to not play web games. So at least that was in my favor :D
One element of the dysfunction factor was the frequency with which FB would seem to freeze up my whole computer for several seconds or almost a minute. Yahoo is randomly bad about that too when loading sometimes. If none of the other half a gazillion websites I go to are doing that, then the problem is probably not me and my computer.

And Facebook's growing aggressiveness toward "fake accounts" was not helping. When you have support groups for incurable illnesses, for MS, for cancer, the members tend to not want to broadcast the details to all of Facebook's 385 trillion other users, ya know. So a large portion of members had their regular account and then another account just for use in the support groups. (true, the groups have privacy settings, open, closed, secret, but, for example, people just don't want to take chances that another member who they have become friends with would inadvertently post something in open on their page)

Which makes that a huge issue,
(CNN) -- If you're using a fake name on your Facebook account, maintaining a personal profile for your beloved pet or have a second profile you use just for logging in to other sites, you have one of the 83.09 million fake accounts Facebook wants to disable.
"On Facebook we have a really large commitment in general to finding and disabling false accounts," Facebook's chief security officer Joe Sullivan told CNN in a recent interview. "Our entire platform is based on people using their real identities."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/02/tech/soci ... -accounts/
Though I have neither MS nor cancer, I am related to and/friends to a number of people who do; for example my Dad's sister has MS.
And FB's continuous reduction in the reach of posts by pages is a growing factor. MS friends told me it particularly angered a MS society's page members and owners - they have people having real-time nearly life and death level situations. And when you combine reduced reach with how it was made that posts with new comments went to top of page - someone could be in a serious situation and never be heard because other popular posts buried them way down the page.

Between that and other things, my interest in the product went away.
as said, I miss the people I worked with and helped, but there are limits and boundaries to what a person will, or even can, put up with.

Is there somewhere else to go, I don't know yet. Not sure if I even want to find out. Time will tell. Onward to the future.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu May 22, 2014 8:51 am

I don't play games online, never really interested me, but I do have more problems now with screen freezing because there is so much junk processing behind the scenes, not facebook though. Its the price you pay for a free internet, the money has to come from somewhere.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:Its the price you pay for a free internet, the money has to come from somewhere.
Truth. Which is understandable, the electric companies like to get paid for powering the servers and the IT techs kind of like to get paid, they have this nasty habit called "food". :lol:

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 is a free world !

Postby Christian » Thu May 22, 2014 11:44 am

There aren't social networks! Only big money makers. :evil:
This forum is more friendly than any FB.
Make today a great day ! :D :D :D

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu May 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Christian wrote:This forum is more friendly than any FB.
Well, yes, of course :arrow: we're all eccentric here :lol: If everybody on the island is nuts, then sanity is crazy!

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Tue May 27, 2014 12:54 am

:? Never touched Faceache. Any time I get a 'friend' request, I block the sender.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue May 27, 2014 2:48 pm

too much negativity. There is a lot I don't like about FB, but as long as you only use for things you want then should be few problems. It does annoy me how some people seem to be writing so much, crowding out everyone else.
Technically biggest problem for me is the linear nature of it, like the Yahoo forums. So much easier with something dynamic like php forums such as this one.
They always say it is best not to chuck out the baby with the bath water.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue May 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Facebook did/does a tremendous amount of good in the chronic, incurable, illness and cancer support groups with which I was acquainted or directly and deeply involved.
We shared information, experience, hopes, dreams, physical assistance when members were close, legal advice and resources :arrow: and sometimes shared money with members in serious situations.
Facebook has ways it is and can be an avenue for very beneficial and uplifting things to happen.

Return to “Blether”