Finally bought a narrowboat book,

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Finally bought a narrowboat book,

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:50 am

Hey Y'all;
Finally bought a narrowboat book, here's what I got,
(I think the photobucket settings will allow you to see it, their setting options are not what they used to be)
as to what I think of it, allow me to quote myslef from Amazon,
5.0 out of 5 stars Quite educational to a Yank who likes narrowboats but has not been to UK to see one. May 31, 2014
By Forrest S. Wood
Format:Paperback|Verified Purchase
Okay, keep in mind that I am looking at this as a Yank with a long time interest in canals and canal boats but I have never been to England to see narrowboats in the real and material. Gives a good generalized accounting of canal history and details; and, narrowboat history and details. The author knows, he lived the life. Call it a 101 level course on the subject. Some good photos and diagrams in it too.

Now, to find the health and time to get back to making progress on models.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Voyager
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Staffordshire (but the other end of the County from Gnosall!), UK

Postby Voyager » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Forrest,

Hope you enjoy the book.

If it triggers any questions about UK transport, industry or geography please post here as I'm sure someone will know the answer.
Regards to all,

Voyager

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:35 am

Appreciate it.
Right now I'm still too worn out from the last week and a half to come up with questions but it is a pretty sure bet there wil leventually be some.
later,
Forrest
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:52 am

You'll probably be interested in the dredgers used to keep the canals clear as well. :wink:
Just Playing Trains!

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Well, let me say this about that, in the Gn15 folder in here, the Canal Boats subfolder has 1,751 files in 63 folders.
Been collecting images and info for a long time.
And have that cardboard and balsa narrowboat started several years ago still wanting some more of my attention.
And, I live along the Missouri River in the middle of Missouri: there is a sand and gravel place opposite side of river from dowtown
Have a number of photos over the years of their dredge operating here

Return to “Blether”