Are we railway modellers or do we deserve better?

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Rust Boiler
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I currently model in 009 narrow gauge but having seen your site I will put that on the back burner and convert to GN15. What a fantastic scale.

Are we railway modellers or do we deserve better?

Postby Rust Boiler » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 am

No doubt when you have informed someone new to you that you are a railway modeller, most people will not understand and we get labelled Anoraks and Geeks. I suppose it does not matter a Gnat what they think but I for one think we deserve better. I am a newby to this forum and Just want to say that for all the threads I have read and the pics I have seen of some of the examples of GN15 modelling, I am truly blown away with the degree of craftsmanship you guys demonstrate AND from all over the planet. It is fantastic. Railway MODELLERS?..mmmh let me think.
Do we draw a plan, come up with a theory, design it, build it, criticise it, improve it and then prove the theory works?..yes we do . Thats called a scientist!
Do we apply ingenuity, and construct something that works?...Yes we do...thats called an engineer.
Do we create a 4d pictures taking viewpoints, standpoints, scenery, weathering, contrasts, juggle buildings around till it looks right?..surely that must be an artist.
Do we have a basic knowledge ( Some more than most) of electrical behaviour and even electronics...well some of us probs most of us otherwise the whole chute would not work.
The list can go on.
So FOR A BIT OF FUN what do you think we could call ourselves so as to appear cleverer than a railway modeller? and UN Geek ourselves.
I will set the ball rolling and then get told to shut up I expect.
Howzabout:
Design Miniature Engineering Gnologist?
Pete
It's not what you make it's how you make it.

Pierre_Berry
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15, what else ?

Postby Pierre_Berry » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:47 am

Oops! I'm just playing with trains. How can you call me?
Pierre
More Gnew ideas than money...

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Railway modelling is fine art - it's art and I'm fine with that :)
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Imagineers :D
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Return to “Blether”