Wildlife in Garden (or thereabouts)

A general talking shop for any subject under the sun (even Monty Python). This would also be a good place to make suggestions about the site itself or about these forums (or "fora", if you're particularly pedantic).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Wildlife in Garden (or thereabouts)

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:26 pm

A couple of weeks back after not having any swallows all summer a group of 6 appeared and were immediately joined by several Blue Tits on the telephone line outside our bungalow. Swallows gone next day, most likely already en route to Africa.
I've seen swallows regularly use the cable when gathering for their migration.
In the 30+ years I've lived here I've never seen a Blue Tit on the cable.

Two Swallows & three Blue Tits, there were upto 5 Blue Tits before I grabbed the camera.

A couple of night ago I took this photo of neighbour's garden, there were in total 12 badgers but light wasn't good enough to get a photo.

This morning the result of what I believe to be a lone Badger visit last night. First time since we've lived here that such damage has been caused.

Dragonflies are regular visitors at this time of year.

At lunchtime today this colourful guy made an appearance.

Last edited by Gerry Bullock on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Dragonflies are awesome.
What would the badgers have been digging for? I don't know much about their ways.
Nice pics.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Willow Creek Traction wrote:Dragonflies are awesome.
What would the badgers have been digging for? I don't know much about their ways.
Nice pics.

http://www.earthwormsoc.org.uk/content_ ... anecic.jpg
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:55 pm

In our garden badgers go for the grubs of chafer beetles. The beetles are very pretty with bright green wing cases but the b...... Grubs scoff the roots of the grass, killing it unless you get your lawn treated. :evil:

Cheers,

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 pm

An old forestry commission man once told me the way to wash your frying pan when camping out was to put it outside, away from your tent (at least 15ft, mainly so they don't try to come in) overnight. The Badgers will like it clean, removing the grease and pretty much any burnt on bits (according to his words) so all it needs in the morning is a rinse in the stream and it'll be good for breakfast.

I haven't tried it though.

Do you leave dirty pans out in your garden?

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:50 pm

My wife went wild at the wildlife in the garden when she saw these guys eating the geraniums.

They are vapourer moth caterpillars, and there are warnings on the web about not handling them as the spines can irritate your skin. They have gone away to turn in to moths now and you will be pleased to know that the geraniums seem to have made a full recovery. I guess these caterpillars were the inspiration for punk rockers hair styles!
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Larry
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 micro

Postby Larry » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:46 am

I heard Sophie, our cat, yowling at something on the back deck

Racoon
( thumbnail)

Return to “Blether”