Inspired....

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

BarryL
'boxer
'boxer

Inspired....

Postby BarryL » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi just a quick intro...
Yesterday I went to the Folkestone Model Railway Show at the Leas Cliff Hall. Interestingly the most inspiring and highest quality layout for me was the smallest a GN15 mining layout. I was so taken by it I forgot to take pictures but the owner gave us lots of info and tips. However, it seems to me that the engines were not far away in size to my 16mm models. So first question is can I use my 16mm electric mice bodies on 00 track and would this be within the scope of GN15 and if so how. I've attached a pic of my 16mm simplex on 32mm track and i've got a few of these kits hanging about so if this would be GN15 how do I go about motorising the body for 00 track? Cost is a big issue so what would be the cheapest way of doing this. Also if a 16mm (1:19th) body on 00 track is not GN15 what is it?

Don't know who the layout I saw at Folkestone belongs too but it was a stunning and fasinating thing...

Barry
Attachments
DSCF1256gn.jpg
DSCF1256gn.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: Inspired....

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:57 pm

Barry, welcome to the Gnuthouse.
We are pretty flexible when it comes to scale. Being a 16mm/ft modeller myself, I know how much narrow gauge models vary in size. G scale started out as 1/22.5 but soon went very flexible and Bachmann G goes from 1/20.3 to 1/29, filling the gap between 16mm/ft and a variant of Gauge 1(1/30).
Many here have adopted 1/24th scale as there are quite a few non railway items available such as road vehicles. As long as it looks right, in particular the relationship between figures and the trains, then any(almost) goes.
As for using a 20hp Simplex, then I believe that has been done here using one of my 3D printed models, and there have been some unusual road vehicle conversions, some of which are probably pushing it to the limits.

I think that 16.5mm gauge would scale out at nearer 12in gauge in 16mm/ft(1/19th scale). To get round the difficulty some have with terminology some here just refer to their models by actual scale and gauge. From experience I have found most exhibition managers get confused by what I tell them, and I have seen layouts from other people similarly described wrongly, despite the correct info being supplied.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:25 am

From experience I have found most exhibition managers get confused by what I tell them, ...

Don´t blame the exibition managers.... I assume most of them know what scale or gauge is, know the difference between narrow, standard or broad gauge. Of course they heard of prototype modelling and freelance.

They have the responsibilty to invite layouts which keep the paying audience happy and if dealers are around, they want a huge crowd with money in their pockets, willing to part from it.

16mm scale / 1 : 19 is approx 20% larger in volume than standard Gn15 scale. So go ahead, its your railway. You might not find to many, who are wiling or able to play with you. But you´ll find my in here, who will applaude or encourage you. So welcome at the nuthouse.....

Have Fun

Juergen

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:25 am

Hi Barry...

... and welcome.

16mm scale on 00 track is a bit unusual. As a 16mm Association member (although my preference is for 7/8ths and 1/12 scales) I have often pondered why more of it isn't done. The well known Timpdon layout used to have a small 00 gauge line, there's a photo and brief mention here:

http://www.timpdon.co.uk/timpdon/tlr/ph ... istory.htm

Cheers,

BarryL
'boxer
'boxer

Postby BarryL » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Yes i'm a 16mm member as well Chris (5inchrail will more likely identify me perhaps). It just seemed to me that the lovely little engines I saw running on the little mining layout at the Folkestone show were only a tad smaller than 16mm. I'm unable to build a permanaent 16mm railway because I rent my house and likely to move soon maybe even into a flat although I have a portable track its still quite large. I really wanted something I can use indoors and i've tried tight curves with 16mm track several times with limited success. My small simplex and other small plasticard mice, whilst a bit large for 00 track, will work and i've always had a preference for electric mice anyway being mainly interested in small narrow gauge diesels. All I need to do now is find out the best and cheapest way to motorise a Simplex for 00 track and i'll give it a go. If I can find a suitable chassis I may even try it with one of my Tin Turtle kits as well. I also loved the weathering and scenery that had been achieved. Not sure I can compete on that but would like to have a go and see what I can do.
Barry

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi BarryL and welcome. I must say that a number of GN15 modelers here are "world class" and to compete with them is certainly beyond my capabilities. To learn from them, well that's what the Gnatterbox is all about. I'm doing G9 with one of Simon's Simplexes in 1/35 scale but actually modeling in 1/24 scale so I had to build a seat for the 1/24 guy driver. Success but I need to photograph it.

Anyways welcome and learn from these great modelers.
David(Doc)
Last edited by docnjoj on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:15 am

David, I think you meant one of my Simplexes not Tom's. Anyway, I modified some of my designs to suit 1/24th scale. The 16mm/ft scale versions are a lot bigger, well certainly wider. The Tin Turtle is even wider, always amazed it ran on 2ft gauge anyway without overbalancing.
I would not dismiss Hornby mechanisms these days, in particular the motor bogies. I have had problems with extended running using Tenshodo bogies(worn gears) and think the Black Beetle is now better. The Bachmann On30 tram chassis is very good, but now is more expensive .

Were the Simplex locos that ran on some 15in gauge lines , standard bodies or were they modified?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Whoops, Sorry Simon, I did mean your Simplex. I did a bit of research and some Simplexes were able to run on 7.5 inch track. Not standard, of course but little things. Still, they did look like a Simplex. Thanks for your great models, Simon.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:35 pm

No problem David,
There was a Simplex running at Eaton Hall. It looks like a full sized one, presumably with wheel gauge reduced.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Doc,

I'm pretty sure that no actual Simplex loco have run on anything less than 15" gauge. I'd live to see the 7 1/2" gauge creation you refer to.

The Eaton Simplex had to be much modified, see my post in this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=5870

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 pm

Barry,

As soon as I saw your Simplex model photo I realised it was your good self from the 5" gauge web site.

We may run (generally) smaller gauge models in here but there's still lots of fun to be had!

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:23 pm

chris stockdale wrote:Doc,

I'm pretty sure that no actual Simplex loco have run on anything less than 15" gauge. I'd live to see the 7 1/2" gauge creation you refer to.

The Eaton Simplex had to be much modified, see my post in this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=5870

Cheers,

'ere ya go, Mate. There are others but I can't find the little green one with the girl driving it.
David (Doc)

https://www.google.com/search?q=little+ ... lupZJ00%3D

Here is another and I hope it is a different one.

Teeny Simplex.jpg
Teeny Simplex.jpg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Last edited by docnjoj on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:38 pm

Doc,

Nice try but, although that is about half size for a Simplex, it is a battery electric loco with the chassis from this 7 1/4" loco:

http://phoenixlocos.com/products/model- ... ct-loco-2/

and a home made body, radiator and seat etc.

Good, isn't it?

cheers,

BarryL
'boxer
'boxer

Postby BarryL » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:28 pm

chris stockdale wrote:Barry,

As soon as I saw your Simplex model photo I realised it was your good self from the 5" gauge web site.

We may run (generally) smaller gauge models in here but there's still lots of fun to be had!

Cheers,

Yes Chris I do appreciate the smaller size of the models here but i'm looking at this as a way of using what I have with the intension of building a layout and then gradually populating it with GN15 models. I have in the past used, in 16mm, one powered chassis with interchangeable bodies. I would say with what I now know that this is also a realistic option in GN15. Starting with the 16mm bodies I have to hand and moving toward the smaller scale. I'm also interested in encouraging one of my sons, who loves making models particularly military army/aircraft from WW2, to have a go and one of my 16mm models would start him on his way before attempting something like a more costly GN15 models. So this does have several aims although where I think the greatest chalenge will be is the scenery. I don't expect to replicate the stunning scenery i've seen on here but i'd like to give it a go and see how I get on. Some interesting info on simplex's though because I certainly was not aware of the 7.25 ones.
Barry

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:58 pm

I was actually meaning smaller scales than is used on 5"...

There's lots more similar to that small Simplex over on my Facebook group here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MinimalGaugeRailways/

Warning: sadly the way FB is set you need a FB account to see the group posting, although you don't actually have to be a group member. Think of it as rather like G9 in here but at 12" to the foot.

Cheers,

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”