A new scale - any tips?

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

A new scale - any tips?

Postby Grum » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:11 pm

As the Gnatterbox encourages, I would just like to say hello to everyone. I have been most inspired by many of your articles since looking through some of the website in the last week. I have been a narrow gauge modeller for 34 years (the gives away my age, but hey-ho) in 009 scale only, with several static and exhibition layouts, most recently "The Whitsend Tramway" and "Nibley Knoll". I am also a member of the Norfolk & Suffolk Narrow Gauge Modellers. I always strive to get a degree of realism, but usually on fictitious lines, and there is always an element of the "Twee", and I always choose steam.
It's time for me to try a new scale, and I can think of no better than Gn15. I have ordered a loco and wagon kit to dip my toe into the water and try to grasp the new "size".
Though I realise there many types of model and prototypes, I would be grateful for any tips with Gn15 you good people can give me as I have a lot of research to do, - looking forward to it though! I am particularly concerned about minimum radii with short 4-wheeled locos and stock on 16.5mm track (I must buy some!) as a new Gn15 exhibition layout will be using a continuous run. I would also like any pointers towards scale people, loco drivers, and any other manufacturers of stock other than Smallbrook or Pepper 7, which I have picked up on, using this amazing site.
Thanks

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Re: A new scale - any tips?

Postby Thorness » Sun May 01, 2016 9:47 am

Hi, welcome aboard!
There is lots of information and inspiration on here from Emmet style to "serious" railways.
This thread from Bill (Bilco) has some tight curves : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10508.
There are several 3D prints available for stock as well as those mentioned.
I have just bought some people from: http://modellersresource.co.uk/index.ph ... oduct_id=1 they seem OK but not as sharp as SLM ones but they are a lot cheaper and have a variety of arms and heads.

Cheers
Don
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun May 01, 2016 10:16 am

Hi and welcome to our little corner of the internet.

Apart from Smallbrook and Pepper 7 it's worth having a look in this section

viewforum.php?f=6

As to radii much depends on your skill, space available and what loco(s) and stock you plan running. There's been some seriously small stuff, i.e. a very few inches.

Try taking a look at some of the more complete layouts in this section to get a feel for what is likely to work for you

viewforum.php?f=16

Cheers,

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Mon May 02, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks for your help Don and Chris, I will have a look at the info and links, and will let you know later what I am planning, and what I get up to.
Graham

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Wed May 04, 2016 4:04 am

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of people pooh pooh the cheap Chinese figures from ebay, but I like them. They can be readily reshaped with heat, sawn apart and reconfigured and to me make the people situation more fun. They paint nicely too. I always get the unpainted ones.
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon May 16, 2016 9:32 am

Realism - what is that?
I think we are probably at the artistic end of the railway modelling spectrum.
Some modellers seem to try and recreate what actually exists, and some achieve success, but most are happy to get most of the way(r2r and r2p models in abundance). On the other hand, we set out to create something that might be possible, and try to get all the parts fitting together, so even if it is totally fictitious, it is plausible. When I talk to some railway modellers, they don't get that, but I think it is possibly a better way to approach railway modelling.

Another point is that we tend to have far more fun, and although more traditional modellers will walk past at exhibitions, many will stop and look, and often they are the ones we want to attract into the hobby. They are also often the ones who have been taken to the exhibition, so that one person can see their own (sometimes) narrow spectrum of railway models. I tend to talk to many of those who have no specific interest, and notice what actually interests people, in particular the very youngest, and the scale time, rivet counting (lack of anything actually moving) layouts don't necessarily promote our hobby that well, unless you are one of the minority who actually like scale time, rivets and a Sunday morning feel to your layouts.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Mon May 16, 2016 10:27 am

Interesting comments Simon. I our (my wife and I) many years exhibiting 009 (including just yesterday at Barton Le Clay) that's exactly what we have noticed. Many visitors come back to the layout time and time again, they are young children, families, and fascinated narrow gauge enthusiasts too, but not those that are the rivet counters. We want to try to do the same in GN15. It is the "general picture" of realism, we want to continue to achieve, good scenic's, well posed and painted figures and believable trains.
Thanks

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon May 16, 2016 7:09 pm

It is the "general picture" of realism, we want to continue to achieve, good scenic's, well posed and painted figures and believable trains.

Isn´t this something, ever railroad modellers tries to archive? No one plans to built lousy layouts and present poor modelling. Its the forums, where many folks very often actually show junk and very poor workmanship and claim, it is supposed to be modelling.

At commercial exibitions, the one where the ask admission for, the modelling standard in most cases is very high. The same applies for modelrailroad magazines.

So keep the good work coming. With many pictures to illustrate it of course.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”