New member and modelling novice saying hello!

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nyeti
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Trains large and small

New member and modelling novice saying hello!

Postby Nyeti » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:33 pm

Hello all! I've been lurking about for a little while and thought it was about time to introduce myself.

I'm a relative novice at modelling - as a kid I helped my dad make an OO layout (a familiar story to many, I expect) and I was a Warhammer 40K player for a while, but college and then university took me out of the hobby and I've got quite out of practice.
Roll on my quarter-life crisis... one-third-life crisis...? After a few years out of uni the railway bug has bitten again and I have a hankering to build another train set of my own.

For various reasons including limited space, happy memories on the Bure Valley Railway, and wanting to be a special snowflake I have made up my mind to model minimum gauge. Hopefully no Gn15 stalwarts will be offended when I say I'm looking at O9!
My personal challenges are to make a layout that can fit on a 13"x22" Ikea shelving unit and to make rolling stock that'll run on it. It's very early days right now but I reckon that keeping track of my progress on the forums will help keep me from the curse of planning everything and building nothing.

In real life I'm a Southerner living in happy exile in Birmingham. Having done some stints in preservation, both with the Mid-Hants and with Mainline Steam in NZ, I've started working on 305 mm scale train sets again as an electrification engineer. If you choose to blame me for delays and line closures it will only make me feel important!

So, that's me. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in and getting to know you all :D
Nye

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: New member and modelling novice saying hello!

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:27 am

Hi Nye,

Welcome to our little corner of the internet.

As you'll have spotted there's plenty to interest and entertain you in here from straightforward pizzas to much larger lines with amazing detail.

I remember O9 from the very early times when there was just a Springfield loco kit and 7mm seemed an impossibly huge scale to work in!

Cheers,

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Welcome Nye,
09 is fine with me. I think most of the people here "rubber gauge" and have projects going over many scale/gauge combinations.
Minimum gauge is minimum gauge, and size doesn't matter.
cheers
Geoff :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Nyeti
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Trains large and small

Postby Nyeti » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:06 am

Hello Chris, Geoff, and thanks for the friendly welcome :)

So, first steps... I got myself a little Arnold N gauge starter set (Treno Merci) and have set it up on the dining table. Very satisfying! I think my next step is to buy and have a play with some kits and make some properly sized rolling stock.
Nye

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 am

Hi,

Sounds like a good start.

As I've suggested before, there's nothing like playing with a bit of cut up cereal packet to rough things out. Great for getting a feel for the size and shape of the pleasures to come!

And, if course, free. :D

Cheers,

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Hello & welcome Nye - you've landed in a lovely place.

Very interested in your ideas - please keep the updates coming.

Les
"Because I Can"

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”