Dutch lurker joins

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Rob Kievit
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: narrow gauge railways and tramways

Dutch lurker joins

Postby Rob Kievit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Hello all,
Our garden is far too small for a garden railway, let alone one of 381mm gauge. Or so my better half would say if I dared ask her.

But I would still like a narrow gauge railway in my garden. Having spent a lot of time on the Gnatterbox over the past months, the penny finally dropped: I'm going to model our own garden, including a Gn15 railway of course.

I'm a longtime 0m modeller (22.5 mm narrow gauge), but I kept feeling the urge to build something in a bigger scale. I've kept moving away from the standard gauge prototype-inspired layout, looking for freedom - which I found here.

Many of the inspiring layouts I've seen here have been built around some kind of industry. Mine will reflect my own interests: pottering around the garden (wearing wooden shoes - I'm Dutch) pointlessly trying to control the green stuff that keeps popping up everywhere; drinking tea (or beer); and repairing the handful of bikes owned by my family (but not looked after by them). Oh, and railways.

Like many of you, I've also got half a barn full of things "which might one day be useful for the railway". I intend to buy nothing for my layout, but finally use some of that stuff instead.

Thanks for the inspiration so far. It's time I did something back!
Thumbs up for digital modelling (using your fingers, not your keyboard)

Rob R
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, NG in general, Austin Sevens

Postby Rob R » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Rob

Welcome aboard the good ship GnATTERbox.

Your 'indoor' garden railway idea is brilliant.
It'll be a lot closer to the beer in the fridge and you don't have to worry about the weather :)

Rob
Rob Rayner
In the middle of the REAL Cheshire

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Re: Dutch lurker joins

Postby DCRfan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:11 am

Rob Kievit wrote:Hello all,

Like many of you, I've also got half a barn full of things "which might one day be useful for the railway". I intend to buy nothing for my layout, but finally use some of that stuff instead.

Rob,

Welcome. I gnow we are going enjoy your switch to Gn15. I had to smile at your comment above - Scotsmen and Dutchmen = thrifty modellers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 am

Hi Rob,

Whilst a garden has to be very small not to be able to fit some sort of garden railway the Gnatterbox and Gn15 are great places to be. I think you'll like it in here...

bestest

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:10 am

Welcome to the group.

I have a friend whose grandfather still gardens in wooden shoes... would he go to a carpenter to have them repaired?

Rex Ashton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling something different

Dutch lurker joins

Postby Rex Ashton » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi Rob

Welcome aboard.

All the best
Rex

whimsical wilcox
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 16mm whimsical battery loco s.mainly working wood card or any thing I an get hold of .i paper my locos to m d f joints no fancy filling for me yes I also paper plastic and resin models two samples of my efforts on h g l w .com face book

Re: Dutch lurker joins

Postby whimsical wilcox » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:35 pm

dear dutch, I model in 16mm my layout 7 footx 4 foot in a garden shed it runs on lionel tin plate track three rail with centre rail removed its gauged to 32mm I run small freelance battery locos and I have also ran live steam there are people who run end to end with battery power. I am known as whimsical Wilcox locally the reason is i can never build anything as manufactors intented I see a coach / guards van etc I want to convert it into a railcar and it has to be highly detailed& weathered. most of my models are covered with coloured paper to give a more realistic finish than out of scale wood grain or to be able to create individual panels on what would be a metal loco have fun is my motto I have dabbled in gn 15 but I had a calling to 16mm and now its my passion wish you all the fun and success in your hobby W .W.

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”