With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

thtroll
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: On30, On18, Gn15

Postby thtroll » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:12 pm

I like introduce myself. My name is Heath and I live in London, Ontario. I've been modeling On30 for about ten years, On18 for a couple and Gn15 for about a week. I hope to build a small garden railway, inspired by Rowland Emett. Photos on the web led me here. I work full time with my wife at our bakery (www.heycupcake.info) and I try to fit my modeling in when time permits. The caliber of modeling here is amazing and I look forward to reading the posts.
Cheers, Heath.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Welcome Heath. Have fun :D

Simon.

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:56 am

Welcome Heath!

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Heath, welcome to the group of pehaps some of the gnuttiest of this bunch of Gnutters who also model your source of inspiration. And their modelling ain't half bad either :wink:

As well as the esteemed Mr Emett, perhaps for additional inspiration you could also consider the "other" Heath (Robinson). Google up "Railway Ribaldry" - 96 pages of railway fun and wackiness created at the behest of the Great Western railway.
http://lost-albion.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/railway-ribaldry.html

I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future. I'll get in "Welcome to the Gnuthouse" before someone else does...
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

thtroll
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby thtroll » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks all. Some photos of the garden. I'm thinking a simple loop with a run around and one or two sidings.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... ee4ba9.jpg
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 214032.jpg
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 70a63f.jpg
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 0d758a.jpg

I've been thing about the roadbed the past evening. If anyone has some advice, I would love to here it. This is a totally new area for me and I have no experience in garden railways (just illusionsions of grandeur).
Power is the other question, should there be a main bus under the roadbed? I would like to run DCC, with track supplied power.
Cheers, Heath.

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:12 am

:shock: Do you get frost heave on that ground in the winter??? :roll:
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:29 am

G'day Heath
Welcome to the group.

Regarding your garden railway _____
Just a few thoughts from some-one who has yet to build a garden railway but who has thought a lot about it.

In your place, with the amount of space available, I would probably build the railway up from the ground.
Either using a 'conventional' baseboard (using exterior grade materials of course) or alternatively a great big pile of rocks and earth.
This would bring the trains up to a better height to view them and also to work on them.
As you plan to use DCC I would suggest that you use a main bus under/near the track with feeders to each length of rail.
Do NOT rely on the fish-plates for electrical continuity ____ they WILL corrode.
It is also recommended 'best practice' for DCC indoors ___ so it should defiantly be followed outside.
Remember that you will have to keep the track clean so no long or curved tunnels.
I do believe that Lenz gold decoders, although expensive, have less problems than most others over dirty track.
No experience with them ____ just hearsay.
Although I have seen a loco drive from a length of track onto a sheet of paper placed over the track under complete control. Impressive.:!:

As an alternative have you thought of using battery power with radio control :?:
No power pick-up problems and no rail-cleaning :D

Just some of the ways to go.
Hope that its helped not hindered,
Cheers.
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:29 am

Having also theorised about this at length, I think the best solution for lasting happiness and not maddening frustration is some form of radio control on-board batteries. Don't have to be long life of course, just easy access for changing. Plus you're driving it just like the real thing. :D
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Re: New Member

Postby DCRfan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:42 am

thtroll wrote:I like introduce myself. My name is Heath and I live in London, Ontario. I've been modeling On30 for about ten years, On18 for a couple and Gn15 for about a week. I hope to build a small garden railway, inspired by Rowland Emett. Photos on the web led me here. I work full time with my wife at our bakery (www.heycupcake.info) and I try to fit my modeling in when time permits. The caliber of modeling here is amazing and I look forward to reading the posts.

Welcome Gnubee :lol: What a small world, I'm plotted to visit London Ontario for a work conference next month so you'd better get building as I may drop around for a visit and check on your progess :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Gavin Sowry wrote::shock: Do you get frost heave on that ground in the winter??? :roll:

:D Search 'Taita Gorge Garden Railway' to see how I've done it.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

thtroll
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby thtroll » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks everyone for looking in.

Gavin, yes, the ground gets frost heave. I was thinking of trenching the roadbed aboot (hehe) 10-15 cm (4-6"). That would also allow for a power bus to be run under the track.

Adrian and Christian, I agree Battery, R/C is the best solution. I hope the progress to that level down the road. DCC with sound would be nice, but with only one loco to start, I think analogue is the best place to start. The Lenz Decoders sound interesting. They must have a discharge capaciter to maintain a steady current for the mechanism. I am definately going to look into them.

Paul, that would be great. There may not be much progress by then, but there are always cupcakes available. To let you know, I'm planning a trip state side from Oct 4-14

I'm going to start a new thread about the project.
Cheers, Heath.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:09 am

Welcome to the Gn15 Forum. Did you mention, which scale / gauge you intend to build you Emett style garden layout?

Small layouts on ground level are not too convincing. Most of the time the onlookers mainly see roofs. It is much more comfortable playing with toytrains on a raised track bed.

Electrity via rails seems to be a bit outdated for garden railways. Depending on which material you use, you might have to spent more time on cleaning rails, than to run trains. Battery or Live Steam / RC seems to be quite comfortable.

JuergenImage

Have Fun

Juergen

Pete
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: railway modelling, Bonsai, gardening

welcome onboard!

Postby Pete » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:33 pm

Welcome onboard, Heath! You'll soon discover we're ALL a tad loopy here! But we love having fun in a larger way!
Pete (Less Than Permanent Way) Heininger

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”