Ex lurker takes plunge.

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Johnnie2sheds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Survival

Ex lurker takes plunge.

Postby Johnnie2sheds » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Hello.
I've been reading this forum for some time and I thought I'd test the water. I've bodged... er I mean modeled in OO as a kid, then had a long break of about 30 years 'til I found a G scale Bachmann Annie 4-6-0 at Warley a few years ago. Well cutting a long story short, I'm now doing sort of 16mm. Imagine my surprise then, when a pair of Triang OO DOCK shunters appeared at my door! I remember these as a boy, screaming round my double oval at 200mph: great fun. Anyway, In my fetted imagination is a sort of 1 footish gauge line supplying a loader for the 3 footish scale line......also for when it is ....inclement.... a small timesaver or inglenook siding. So, I have questions :)

Has anyone made a loco out of a dock shunter to sort of F/Gn15?
Can I see it?
Do the steamroller wheels work on peco 16.5mm track?
For the inside, do the above mentioned wheels work on Triang Series 3 track?

Many thanks for any help you can give me!

Cheers
John

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi John,

Goodness knows what the answers to a lot of your questions are, but I am sure that in this wondrously imagination infested spot someone will know (or Gnow as we like to say).

You could at the very least disguise the motion with skirts for a tram loco and voila, you too have caught the Gn15 bug. :D

Meanwhile, welcome!

cheers,

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi John & welcome to the Gnuthouse :D

Yes there has been a conversion done on the Dock Shunter, one has been done by Andrew

The steamroller wheels are too coarse for modern track, but as they were designed in the days when Tri-ang Series 3 reigned supreme, they work just fine on Series 3 and Super 4 track.

There is a conversion that I have done to the Dock Shunter using Airfix A1A trailing bogie wheels that will allow it to run on modern Peco track, photos can be seen in This thread (page 3). I've had a look on fleabay and found this seller that has These conversion wheels if you can't locate any Airfix spares.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”