Newbie Introduction & first questions?

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

gn15man
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Finally-Gn15-Model Railway Obsession

Newbie Introduction & first questions?

Postby gn15man » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm

:D Hello Everyone,
I am an old newbie,I think?I believe I could have being a member a long time back? and if i was, I have now forgotton the details,So for clarity I will introduce myself a new to fellow members.

I am English 56,Living in Norway,11 years,married to a Viking!
I have to admit to an Obsession where Model railways!are concerned, which is all the more remarkable as I have never built anything let alone a layout! there are very good, if frustarting reasons for this?I have endured seriouse illness for well over 25 years,I have not worked for many years, add to this a greater desire to play trains,rather than the creation of same,afraid it is impossible for me to build anything,but I could potter about on pre built layout.

I can honestly say that the thought of model railway`s as to a very large extent kept me going through some very bleak times.And the life long goal of running a first class layout as become almost obsession,and my dear wife deserves a medal for tollerating my passion in good stead.

I had almost given up on ever owning a layout, but the desire is deep and I thought I would make one last concerted effort to make it a reality.

I was reminded of the of merrits of Gn15 so this is why I am back,and I sincerely hope I will get to know a few of you guys.

I am as I write in negotiation with the owner of the notable Gn15 Diorama"Slate Creek Mining" by Dirk & featured on Carl Arendt`s superb site!I showed interest when it first appeared for sale on Ebay,but the price + the shipping + the import VAT 35% inc,Fees (Norway is not in the EU!) so it became very expensive Dirk is kindly making further enquieries to see if we can work something out?IE shipping quotes, but regrettably I have my doubts?

I am in the Market for a layout and Gn25 would be an option for me,either a pre loved layout or possibly someone could build me a DCC Mine related Diorama or similar.. I have lots of Pics which I use as examples for the ideal layout features e.t.c.

Anyway if anyone can help directly or indirectly,I would be eternally grateful

best wishes Steve
:D

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Dirk meanwhile is asking for less money than on Ebay. http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=11234

€ 699,- or nearest offer.

http://www.dibero.de/gn15/slatecreekmining2/index.html

Have fun

Juergen

gn15man
'boxer
'boxer

Hello

Postby gn15man » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:06 pm

:D Hi Juergen,
Good to hear from you
I was quoted €799 by Dirk last night? could be an error admitedly?
I do not mind the price to much, just when you add shipping & Norwegian import VAT it makes it not to good value for money this is the only real issue.

When I speak of maybe having a layout built, this might offer both better value & of course I can specfy the type of layout.

But am still thinking about it,would be good if it were possible to extend Dirks layout?

best wishes steve
:D

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Newbie Introduction & first questions?

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:54 am

gn15man wrote::

I was reminded of the of merits of Gn15 so this is why I am back,and I sincerely hope I will get to know a few of you guys.

Hi Steve,

We're an easy bunch to get to know! :D

Best of luck with chasing up a layout. It's a amazing how much fun can be had with very little. In fact it makes me think of the pleasure that Eeyore had with an empty honey pot and a burst balloon as birthday presents.

cheers,

gn15man
'boxer
'boxer

Thank You

Postby gn15man » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:57 am

:D Hello Chris,
many thanks indeed for your kind reply ,very much appreciated.
I am so looking forward to my foray in to GN15 as I am sure it can offer me all I could ever wish from model railways

best wishes Steve :D

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:12 am

Welcome back, Steve.

Might I suggest a look at Steve Bennet's 'Simplicity Sidings' concept. Just three lengths of straight track, at its most basic, with a 'baseboard' made from foam-board and card. A bit less than a tenner over here in the UK even if you have to buy everything new. The concept and instructions are here:

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=4419

and you'll see how much fun can be had with really simple techniques for scenery. If you search for 'Simplicity' AND 'Sidings' you'll find a number of other related concepts, and a couple of my shunting puzzles that can be run on the basic one.

If even I can make one that lasts right up to the present day...:) (now used for displaying stock). In fact, I miss Yucatan so much I may have a go when Sue is away next. Must finish a couple of other projects first, though, in order to justify it.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”