Making a return

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Making a return

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi all, no idea if any of you remember me but reading the forum this evening I see plenty of familiar names are still around. Bar the occasional random post I've been away for a few years now thanks to a combination of (in order) university, unemployment, getting into wargaming, eventually finding employment and finally moving house twice within two years.

However things have settled down since I bought and moved into a rather nice two bedroom house late last year. As a result I'm starting to seriously consider getting back into model railways. It'll have to be a fresh start as all of my old stuff was in such a bad state of repair after being stored for a couple of years that all I could really do is bin it all. Although looking back at some of my old models that's not really a bad thing, my painting was absolutely dreadful. Since I've starting wargaming and had to learn to paint much smaller models to a higher level of detail I like to think my painting has improved quite a bit.

I don't have the space to get a permanent layout built (the second bedroom is my wargaming room or atleast it will be) but I do have the space to store a couple of reasonably sized layouts provided I remember not to glue all the scenery down. No idea when I'll get started as my budget will be very limited for the next few months as I continue to buy furniture for the house. I might be able to scrape together enough cash to buy a small amount of track and a loco in the next few weeks but that's about it. Still it's nice to be energised about model railways again.
*Insert witty signature here*

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Welcome back Nick. Look forward, in due course, to the Gnew start. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Welcome back Nick :-)
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:32 am

Thanks chaps.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:23 am

I'll add my welcome too.

Although, as I commented in a similar thread the other day, no one ever really gets away from us once we've got you.... :wink:

cheers,

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Making a return

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Urgh, has is really been nearly a year and a half since I posted this thread? How time flies when you're having fun, or in my case furnishing a house and for the past couple of months completely redoing your garden. Well better late than never I guess. :roll:

Truth be told I did actually do some model railway related stuff in the time between now and then. I bought some kits from Steve (Dragonfly and a couple of wagons) which remain unbuilt and bought my dad some stuff for his still being planned HO Austrian Tram layout. However I've worked out that contrary to what I said previously that I do have space for a permanent layout in my house. So with that in mind and given that it's payday on Friday I'm going to be starting to order some bits and pieces so I can get started again (finally!). I reckon I've got about 4' by 1 1/4' to play with which is plenty for Gn15. :mrgreen:

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Grand to see things are getting settled enough to build a layout Nick :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi again Nick!

That sounds a nice size for a useful layout. I'm looking forward to seeing more as things develop.

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi Nick and welcome again. I vaguely remember that your model building was to a high standard. Glad that you are back.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:50 am

Hiya Nick, goodd to hear things are going well 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”