Gnew member, ex-lurker: Greetings, Gnatterbox

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Paperengi
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15, 1n15, card modelling, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Legos

Gnew member, ex-lurker: Greetings, Gnatterbox

Postby Paperengi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 am

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking The Grand Halls of the Gnatterbox for some time gnow, and have finally gotten into the action. Although I read about Gn15 quite a bit, I am currently modelling in 1 scale/1:32 minimum gauge. (I think you all would call this 1n15/1n16? It's 1:32 stock on 1/2 inch/12.7 mm gauge). However, for all of my models, I scratchbuild exclusively in card. For example the wheels are rolled around cotton swabs which spin in paper journal boxes while the rails are several layers of paper glued together, glued to paper sleepers. Below is a gnew 1n16 layout I made around Christmastime. It was just a "quick and dirty" experiment, but here it is.
and here's a picture of the trackplan with my single 1:24 model lurking around. Somehow a Dalek is stalking my trains...
Also, here's just one other card build, Iseult, the Lister Auto-Truck
Anyhow that's all I have for gnow that comes to mind.
Also, for that experimental layout, what a industry or backdrop etc. should I add?

Thanks, and cheers,
Chris
Building and engineering exclusively with card

Chris

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:41 am

Welcome Chris, thats some pretty impressive stuff you've done there. Is the loco powered?

Trev.
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:22 am

Hi Chris,

Welcome to our little corner.

Paper everything? Looking at the photos that's quite some achievement.

cheers,

Paperengi
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paperengi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:48 am

Thanks for the welcome, guys!:D :D

Is the loco powered?

Hello Trevor, to answer you, I use my trusty ol' 0-5-0 switcher for all duties. :oops:
Perhaps one day I'll get some battery powered loco to run on them paper rails. However, that might require a change in scale as the trammer's frame is only 7/8" x 1 3/4" (22mm x 44mm). I'm not sure if it it's physically possible to even put a motor chassis into a frame that size!

Thanks for the comments, I look forward to joining the Gnatterbox community!

Cheers,
Chris

Chris

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:15 am

G'day Chris

Welcome to the gnuthouse.
Really impressed with your models and then I read that you work in paper !
That's really impressive (even if not powered) :!:

Like that you even make your own wheels.
One of the reasons I chose Gn15 is that I don't have to make any wheels.

Seeing your Dalek, are you planning a Tardis any time in the future (or the past) ?

With your loco at 22 mm x 44 mm you have more than enough room for a motor chassis --- just have a look at this stuff:-
http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/t_gauge_.htm

Probably even room for a couple of batteries and a remote control system if you really wanted.

I do realize that everybody has different skill sets so I will understand if you do not want to go down that track. After all it is YOUR railway.

Cheers.
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Paperengi
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paperengi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:24 am

Hello Adrian, thanks for the comments!

Speaking of wheels, do you or anyone else know if other Gnatterboxers have ever scratchbuilt wheels?

Also, now you've made me want to build some layout just so I can put a Tardis in it somewhere. :lol:

As for the T gauge, it's not immediately on my plan, but imagine the extreme narrow gauge, 1:32 on 3mm track that would be possible! (:shock:) That gets my mind thinking...:twisted:

Chris

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Chris

:shock: wow! paper rails! Very impressed. Great bit of clever work there, looks fab

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:03 am

G'day Chris

do you or anyone else know if other Gnatterboxers have ever scratchbuilt wheels?

I don't know of any Gnatterboxers who have scratchbuilt wheels although there is a gentleman who builds all wooden loco's and rolling stock out here in Melbourne.
All highly polished and showing the raw timber finish.
Although his stuff is all standard gauge and big it is beautifully in-spite of that.
Maybe you have created a new level of Gnuttyness here ?

Also, now you've made me want to build some layout just so I can put a Tardis in it somewhere

Once built a Tardis in HO scale ---- made from about 2 dozen pieces of plastic, cut up into 'lacy' sheets before gluing them together.
Don't really want to go through that again !
Although 1/24 should actually be a lot easier.

As for the T gauge, it's not immediately on my plan, but imagine the extreme narrow gauge, 1:32 on 3mm track that would be possible!

That would give you about 3" gauge. --- plenty of prototypes for that in the miniature railway scene.
Didn't imagine using the track and chassis as such but more as demonstrating just how small motors and gearboxes have become.
As an example I have a HO model of a simplex which runs using a commercial tram chassis that runs on 9mm gauge track.

Very, very small :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Paperengi
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paperengi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:59 am

Hello Roger, thanks for commenting!

Hi again Adrian, that Simplex didn't seem that tiny until I saw the battery...
Nice work on the chassis there, is it an ongoing project? If it is, I look forwards to the finished model. Before I "converted" to minimum gauge, I had tried a hand at a couple card 1:64 projects, but they were quite spartan because of their size. For now, I have to stick with the big stuff that's a bit less fiddly :wink:

Cheers,
Chris

Chris

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 am

which tram chassis is that?
As for 1/64, I have tried it, but a bit small for what I want, so slightly upped that project to 1/55. The 1/64 project will continue but much more limited, possibly the loco I started plus a couple of wagons, depending how the 1/55 one progresses.
Nice model, welcome to the forum.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:06 am

G'day Chris

No, its not ongoing.
I finished it some time ago and it has done yeoman service on a small layout that I use on the exhibition circuit.
This is the finished loco on the unfinished layout.

Simon
The chassis is from the latest articulated KATO 14-801.4 Portram. It has two powered bogies, runs on 9 mm track on 12 volts.
Not cheap but you do get two working chassis.
BUT each bogie has an electronic 'thingie' that knocks the motor voltage down to about 4 volts.
The way that I have used the chassis is to remove all the external 'stuff' and just run the critter on 5 volts.
The loco is an RT model's Lister loco kit from the Ffestinlog shop.
http://www.festshop.co.uk/
(Just type 'lister' into the search engine on the site to find details on both.)

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Paperengi
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paperengi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:32 am

Hello Simon, thanks for commenting,

Adrian,
Good job on the Simplex, thanks for the picture.
Also, I apologize as I am unfamiliar with the term, but what do you mean by "yeoman service"?

Thanks, and cheers,
Chris

Chris

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:08 pm

Paperengi wrote:Also, I apologize as I am unfamiliar with the term, but what do you mean by "yeoman service"?

Basically, means it has been excellent.
Just Playing Trains!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks Adrian, had not thought of that Kato tram. Think it has been mentioned before that the motor unit can not be bought as a spare. Interesting that it is actually a lower voltage motor with what amounts to resistors to reduce voltage from 12 volts
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Paperengi
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paperengi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:15 am

Hello Fatmac,

Thanks for the clarification!

Cheers,
Chris

Chris

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:25 am

Hi, Chris, and welcome.
Very impressive paper modelling. What type of adhesive do you use, and do you treat the paper with a substance to stiffen it?
Stefan

Paperengi
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paperengi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 am

Hello Stefan, thanks for the welcome!

What type of adhesive do you use, and do you treat the paper with a substance to stiffen it?

For Bridgette, the green battery trammer, the frame is card stock. the battery box actually has a foamcore structure with cosmetic card stock glued onto it. Details are cotton swab stems, staples, card, and thin wire. The buffer beams are card stock and filled with sand for ballast.

For the Dalek, thin cereal box cardboard is primarily used. Printer paper is used for the details, including the hemispheres which were sanded to shape and cut off of tight rolls of printer paper.

For Iseult, the Lister, the frame is made from printer paper folded and glued into a long, hollow tube which is used for stock material for the frame. The engine and details are also printer paper.

Finally, the black motor flat car has a frame made of "slab construction". I took printer paper, and creating an accordion fold structure, and all the layers are glued together. In this way, I can have several layers of paper aligned and glued into a strip of stock material. These are cut to shape and stacked to form the frame and planks on the deck, creating a very solid/strong card frame.

The ties were created from similar slabs as were the rails. The ground was done by layering brown wrapping/postal(?) paper which was crumpled to create the ground texture.

For each of these, I used regular Elmer's school glue (PVA). Only rarely when I use foamcore such as for the trammer or layout bases do I use hot glue. I don't use any stiffener, but I find that if I have enough layers of paper, no stiffener is needed. In fact, if the slab style construction is thick enough, the entire slab begins to behave a bit like wood. For example, it can be sanded to shape.

Finally, in case you wondered, all paint used is acrylic paint.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”