Another Gnovice

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Remote1
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge

Another Gnovice

Postby Remote1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi Everyone

Having seen & read about Gn15, I've finally given in & have decided to give it go. Have in mind a track plan, baseboards yet to be be built. Have ordered a Davenport cab & other bits from Pepper7; would like to build the motive power first & take it from there. Figures received from Modellers Resource to help give an idea of size/scale.

Previous modelling was in S......d g...e & An On30 layout called Lerners Curve ('cos that what it was). That layout showed me what fun it was to scratch build buildings, something I'd not tried before. However, my limited skills may not yet reach to motive power.

This forum looks good, although I've yet to investigate all the posts......

Regards

Steve
Steve

Modelling skills on order..........

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Another Gnovice

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:19 am

Remote1 wrote:Hi Everyone

This forum looks good, although I've yet to investigate all the posts......

Hi Steve,

A warm and sunny June welcome. :D

This Forum is good and it will take you some time to investigate all the posts…

Love your signature line.

cheers,

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Hey there!
And wait till you find Gnine, definitely won't hear your teens pleading "but everybody does it!" - takes a certain kind of dedication to go down that road.

Nice thing about the On30 & Gn15 mix is that the same wheels and track apply.
Once you start in to structures larger than garden sheds and workshops, G buildings get big :shock: fast But, in a way, that's half the fun.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Remote1
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge

Postby Remote1 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:09 pm

[quote="Willow Creek Traction"]Hey there!
And wait till you find Gnine, definitely won't hear your teens pleading "but everybody does it!" - takes a certain kind of dedication to go down that road.

Hmmm - n gauge track & chassis?

I don't think my eyes could handle that; as for Z & T gauge, I cannot believe that anyone could even try.............

Question for the moderators: why am I a 'boxer?

Told you I was a gnovice......
Steve

Modelling skills on order..........

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:14 pm

Apart from 'boxer being short for 'Gnatterboxer' I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what Emrys (who kindly created and supports this forum) had in mind. :oops:

No probs, jumping in and playing is far more important :D

Cheers,

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey Steve, welcome.

Sounds like you are doing it the right way: building a bit of rolling stock first and getting some figures to get a feel for the scale. With Gn15 (and 14mm:ft on 32mm track) I've found that the rolling stock models are big and detailed enough to be worth building with in their own right - something that I never found with the smaller scales. Thus not yet having a layout to run them on hasn't really been an issue for me. But building the layout first and having nothing to run on it can lead to a loss of interest.

Look forward to seeing what you put together.

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”