About time I said hello....

With apologies to Flanders and Swann (The Gnu Song, if you must know), this forum is for all those "Hi", "Howdy" and "This is who I am" messages. If you're introducing yourself, please start a new topic (unless your somebody else's alter-ego, in which case seek professional help)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Simon Hargraves
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15,1/32n16.5,0-14,009,Nm...nuff said?

About time I said hello....

Postby Simon Hargraves » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 am

Having been registered on here for over 5 1/2 years, I suppose I had better belatedly introduce myself.
I may have already done this.......although my post count shows only 3* I'm sure I have posted more times than that; has some stuff gone missing?
If it has, it's probably gone the same way as most of my brain cells!

Anyway.......I work on the railway at a small station near Ashford, and have modelled in various (too many) scales and gauges.

My Gn15 output so far consists of a little pizza layout I built in about 2008/9; some of you may have seem it at MOMING in Pewsey back then and I think Steve Bennett took some photos which ended up on here somewhere.

The only stock I had was a Sidelines "train set" I bought at the Telford show in 2008; this consisted of kits to make a small battery electric loco, two v-skips and a tool wagon.

Part of the reason for re-kindling my activity in Gn15 was the discovery at Amberley Rail Gala recently of six Sidelines wagon chassis at a bargain price; I also had some resin parts to form the basis of a small I/C "critter", some PECO 0-16.5 track and points and another cheap acquisition; a set of Fujimi garage mechanic figures, cut off the sprues but still in assembled and boxed for £2!

Like a lot of modellers, I have a few surplus baseboards kicking around waiting for something to do; the one in question being just under 4' long by about 8".......I'm sure I should be able to fit a little layout on it, and when I do I will start a separate thread.

A couple of photos of the possible new layout.......
Untitled by Spitfiregoggles, on Flickr

Simon.

*this will be the fourth.....does that make me a four-poster?
Simon H

Longvallon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15: Love it or leave it !

Postby Longvallon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:55 am

Hello Simon ! :D
I hope it's not your fourth and last post.
Nice start for your layout. Can't wait for further pics.
Chris
I'm free to do what I want anytime !

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi Simon,

It looks like you've got a good few options to get going with.

Looking forward to seeing how things develop. Mean times, welcome! :D

Cheers,

underworld
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge everything...and standard gauge too!!!

Postby underworld » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:37 am

Hello Simon !
You have some very cool equipment on your roster. Looking forward to see what you come up with. 8 feet of baseboard is great and potential for a lot of detail and operating fun !!!
http://www.myspace.com/underworldimage
Currently on tour with Sleeper Cell

Sleeper Cell new album out soon!

Listen for me mornings 5:30-10 89Xradio.com
Shooting video for MTVs Making Of A Metal Band

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:06 am

Hi Simon,

I think we've already met somewhere else........................There's no safe haven, anywhere, apparently!

I've been on here for about the same time as you (I think!) and do post occasionally but like you, my "posting count" dropped alarmingly a year or so ago - I think this was the cause of someone doing a cull of topics that had been declared deceased or something. Not to worry!

Mick

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Look forward to seeing it develop.
Just Playing Trains!

Simon Hargraves
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks for all your replies!
Chris, I have also just joined the minimal gauge group on Facebook so hope to get some inspiration from there. Mick, I'm sitting on a train in Bexhill station as I type this!
The baseboard is eight inches by four feet......although I could extend it I suppose! Even four feet gives plenty of scope; I've been trying to decide between an inglenook variation and something with a loop.....I think the loop will win as I've already built more than one inglenook.
I also have an idea for a fiddle track involving doing something with a Peco loco lift but more of that anon.
I haven't done any more modelling (it's been too hot!) although one more thing to comment on......era, I'm thinking of something vaguely modern and to that end I bought a 1:24 kit for a Toyota RAV4 last week; if I ever get around to exhibiting the layout it gives a good size comparison with the rolling stock etc.
Rolling stock......I need to work out what to build on those chassis so I first need to work out what my line will carry.
About to go into a tunnel........!
Simon.
Simon H

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi Simon,

I am sure we have met in another place sometime.

Welcome.

Peter M
Peter M

Simon Hargraves
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Broadoak wrote:Hi Simon,

I am sure we have met in another place sometime.

Welcome.

Peter M

Hi Peter,
I think it may have been in more than one place!
Thanks for the welcome,
Simon.
Simon H

Simon Hargraves
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:37 pm

I mentioned that I would have to design and build some wagons to go on the bargain chassis.......well on the same trip to Amberley I was able to view and photograph a variety of preserved industrial wagons; here are a few photos of examples I thought might form a basis for narrower gauge wagonry.....
I don't know what the first vehicle was used for as no description was visible due to its being used as a sort of mobile magazine rack!
However, the livery makes me think it was something military and I feel it may have been used for internal transport of some sort, possibly hand-propelled. Its roof is very low, maybe chest height on me......
The other two are sub-2 foot gauge hand-pushed clay wagons......I like their diminutive size and fairly basic lightweight construction......the first is from Purbeck:
And the second from W.T.Knowles of Halifax:

Simon.
Simon H

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi Simon

4' x 8" sounds perfect! A shelf type layout on a book shelf? Brilliant.

I must get along to Amberly - its on my "must visit" list!

Keep us posted on layout progress :D

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

Return to “You really ought to gnow your who's wahoo”