Messing about with threads

Where I come clean and explain what I've done (moving posts around and the like).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Should there be separate forums for different types of topic?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:11 pm

Keep it the way it is (keeping Modelling, Prototype and General Chat separate)
80%
Combine everything into one forum - we're capable of working out what's what ourselves
20%
Give us more and more forums
No votes

Total votes: 10

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Messing about with threads

Postby Emrys » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:11 pm

After I'd moved Derek's introduction thread to the new "Who's wahoo" category, the thread became a discussion on gradients and on RTR chassis, so I've split out messages at what I thought were the right points and set up two new threads within Modelling Matters. Does this make sense?

I set up the different categories so that if you were only interested in, say, prototype topics you could restrict yourself to the appropriate forum. The problem is, of course, that a discussion that starts on one point often (usually?) goes off on a tangent somewhere.

This means it's decision time: Should there or should there not be more than one forum? The poll will run for 14 days and I may or may not take account of the result (it depends on how close the voting is).

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please vote.
Last edited by Emrys on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emrys Hopkins

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

the last week or so

Postby AndyA » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:42 pm

someone has been told off for posting in the wong forum and the teller-off chastised. I've responded to a couple of threads that have ended up seriously off-topic (as defined on other lists) and it doesn't seem to matter to most people. But...

Emrys, after thinking about it a long time, could there be some sort of system where someone could ask for part of an existing thread to be moved to a new thread? I know it's a pain, but sometimes it would be nice to ask you to burst out a thread that really has drifted, rather than to start a new thread and have to geek back to the previous in order to find 'the other' posting.

Actually, it would be nice to be able to ask, even if nothing happened.

regards
Andy A

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:16 pm

I feel really thick.. :oops: How do I vote?
For the record, my vote is to keep it as it is and split threads as necessary. I do think that as this forum grows and gets busier (it will surely?) :lol:
it may need looking at again, but it works at the moment.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:31 pm

Dont worry Martin, that poll was run nearly two years ago, I'm afraid you are a bit late to vote :)
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:52 pm

d'oh! Now I feel REALLY thick!!! :oops: :lol:

oh well, I stand by my comments anyway! :)
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

AndyB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 'O' Gauge, O14

Postby AndyB » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:44 am

could there be some sort of system where someone could ask for part of an existing thread to be moved to a new thread?

I like the way this site is organised :)
Have wondered for sometime whether we should have section called something like :idea: 'Techniques'... not so much as a discussion forum but as a repository for threads that will get 'submerged' as the site gets bigger (and bigger?). I suppose on reflection this is what GN15.info is for - though it does not appear to have been updated for a while... :?:

Andy B

KK
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railroading, Tom Waits

Postby KK » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:54 am

AndyB wrote:
I like the way this site is organised :)
Have wondered for sometime whether we should have section called something like :idea: 'Techniques'... not so much as a discussion forum but as a repository for threads that will get 'submerged' as the site gets bigger (and bigger?). I suppose on reflection this is what GN15.info is for - though it does not appear to have been updated for a while... :?:

Hi Andy,

I like the structure of the side too, but I must admit that you need to be deep enough in the context to find certain information that is gathered in a theard which's subject does not contain any clue of.

I too would think that GN15.info should also be fed from the Gnatterbox.

I would suggest leaving the threads as they are. In case of some questions the Insiders may point out the respective posts hidden in some threads.
Tschüß

Klaus

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:36 pm

I couldnt resist commenting on this thread about finding information, when in doubt I use the search up top it works for me every time.

I like the way some of the threads wander, it seems to me that that is the nature of how we think. In a way no different than our models we seem to learn by asscociation (SP?) as much as anything, but when I get on a mission as Gerry so aptly put it..... Search :wink: no telling what you will find. secret bunkers an all.

regards Michael
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Return to “Things I've done”