Who wants some gnice (free-ish) website content?

Where I come clean and explain what I've done (moving posts around and the like).

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Who wants some gnice (free-ish) website content?

Postby Emrys » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:05 pm

One of the "features" I've got up my sleeve is a syndicated version of the site (latest five news stories, latest project or whatever) with - of course - a built-in link back to Gn15.info opening in a separate window.

Would this actually be of interest to anyone or shall I just put it down to high spirits on my part?

Update: I've fixed things so you can actually reply in this forum - a small oversight on my part!
Emrys Hopkins

Alan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railway Modeling, Good Wine and Plentiful Food

Advertising

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:47 pm

Emrys

I'd definitely be interested - to add to my Chagrin Mines site as it grows. It would be good to have some varied content in there without being responsible for all of the changes.

Now there's maybe an idea that you could build on? :wink:
Alan Rogers, CEO of Chagrin Mines - Gn15
Annoying Questioner of Established Protocol & Procedure

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

More details

Postby Emrys » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:21 pm

I have three main ideas (same principle for each, just a case of tweaking the code):

1. List the latest x news items (other than in the Site News category)
2. The last x articles in a given category (similar to the right hand column on the Gn15.info home page)
3. List items in the Gn15 database submitted by a specific author so that I could, for example, list all the articles I'd written on my homepage. If you've had stuff published, then blow your own trumpet (and it'll save you retyping it all too :lol: )

I'll have to work on the details (and will concentrate on getting the content backlog cleared first), but it shouldn't be too long before this service is available.

Probably.

I have, at least, got something similar working just to test the process at one of my other websites.
Emrys Hopkins

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

er..call me thick..

Postby MOG » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:21 pm

Not quite sure what you mean Emrys, sorry, how does this work? (And here's me with a computer job and all!) :?
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model railways, Music

Postby AndyTee » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:03 am

Why not - depending on how much space it chews up - I'm almost out of the free-with-the-dialup allocation :(
Cheers, Andy...

Life is too short to count rivets.....

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

How a feed would work (clarification)

Postby Emrys » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:22 pm

All you'd have to do is include a line along the lines of:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gn15.info/feed.php"></script>

in your page to get a 270 pixel wide (in this example) summary of the latest Project and a note of the next three project articles. This shouldn't cause any load on your own resources as all the content would be getting 'served' from the Gn15.info webspace.
Emrys Hopkins

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby AndyTee » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:54 pm

That much :( Hmmmm, I dunno, Emrys.............

:lol: OK! I'm in!
Cheers, Andy...

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Feeds 1 and 2 ready for user testing

Postby Emrys » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:04 am

The article and news feeds are available for testing, if someone would like to try these out on their pages.

If you take a peek at http://www.VFMdesign.com/feed.html it shows the various options available:
c= has the category (layout, hint or project)
w= is the table width (in pixels)
max= number of articles to retrieve

If you don't specify a value for "c" then you get a mixture of all three categories. The default values for "w" and "max" are 270 and 5 respectively.

Now all I need is to get publishing that lovely, fresh content for you to feed to your sites!
Emrys Hopkins

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby AndyTee » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:04 pm

OK Emrys, I put one of them here: http://gn15.ozforces.com.au/links.htm down at the bottom of the page - it's buried in the bowels for the moment, I will put it somewhere 'nicer' when I get time to rearrange a page to suit.

Couple of problems:

1. Copy and paste into html editor, <> brackets come up as script and need to be changed back to brackets. Don't forget the ones in the middle like I did or the rest of the page stuffs up :(

2. The Gn15.info link opens in a new frame, the others open in the same frame. Can we get 'em all in a new frame - helps folks get back if they like mine better than yours :roll:

3. Can you put a blue border around the table - it probably looks ok on a white page but it's a bit 'dunno' on my yellow b'ground. S'pose I could put the whole thing in a one-cell table, whatever's easiest...

4. If I put <center ></center > around your script is that enough to center the table on the page?

Normally I'd enjoy nutting most of those problems out myself, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment for experimenting. In fact haven't touched a model or the site in nearly a month! Ugh - I hate workin for a living. Anybody got a spare rich widow - even an ugly one would do!

Bottom line tho - it works! :D
Cheers, Andy...

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

'Features' resolved

Postby Emrys » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:16 pm

1. I've put the code to copy in textarea boxes which should solve your copy/paste problem.
2. All new pages now open in a new (_blank) window.
3. Blue border added - although I'm not convinced the news script looks good like this.
4. Putting <center ></center > around the script will work (it's all I did on the sample page).

For those who want to tweak the display style, I may have one version that just uses class descriptions which you can then change using your own style sheets (if there's a call for this).
Emrys Hopkins

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby AndyTee » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:08 pm

2. Thanks! :lol:

3. It's a personal thing, I know, but the 'hint' one deffinitely looks beter to me. Haven't seen the others though.

4. Will get to it soon - or then I could probably stick all three side by side, couldn't I :D

Tweakable version.....hmmmm, maybe, but then it probably should look more like your page than the page it's on - sort of an obvious visual hint about something different.
Cheers, Andy...

Alan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railway Modeling, Good Wine and Plentiful Food

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:40 am

Works fine on the Chagrin Mines site - the colour challenges are because I use stylesheets. I can sort that myself, when I earn that eighth day of the week that I've been promised!
Alan Rogers, CEO of Chagrin Mines - Gn15

Annoying Questioner of Established Protocol & Procedure

Return to “Things I've done”