New ideas for 3D printing

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

New ideas for 3D printing

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:20 am

The other discussion on 3D printing was getting a bit long, so thought a new one of some other ideas might be a good idea.

I have now included larger stone sizes in my 3D tram track, which might be of interest to Gn15.
But the changes at Shapeways have made me realise I should be concentrating on the track items more. It is based on existing designs so should print OK. It is therefore available now.

One idea I am testing at the moment is bridge panels which replicate those very minimal girder bridges we love in narrow gauge, where the rail is on a longitudinal beam resting on beams at 90deg. I am using the end profile I used for tram track, so it should in theory be able to fit code 100 rail OK. The base of the rail will be covered so the rail will actually look lower lower than it actually is. You will still need to build the rest of the bridge, but that is better done in conventional materials.

Assuming the test print works OK, which is for a complete panel with beam under both rails, I hope to remove the connecting beam and build in some way to connect them or fit them to girder bridge kits like the Dapol/Airfix one.

I am also planning wagon turntables, but want to get the bridge parts designed first.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling small industrial prototypes in 3/8n20.

Postby csundstr » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:08 am

I just got a FUD prototype made for a Decauville/Popineau-style 90cm wagon portable turntable in O9. I even managed to get the cast-in letters to show up at this scale. The turntable rotates manually around a 00-90 screw, although it could be motorized with some creative inventing. The CAD drawings were done in Solidworks 2014. I have the first test print in hand and I plan to paint it up and take some pictures soon. When I do I will post them here and make the model Public on Shapeways. The drawings should be scalable to 1:32 and 1:24 scales. If you would like to collaborate on this one, let me know. I worked entirely from photographs and I would love to have access to actual measured drawings of the real items (Decauville was extremely uncommon here in Western Canada).

The O9 version has plastic rail guides, but in 1:24 it may be possible to make the design take slotted-in bar stock, PECO or ME rails for full electrical functionality. I am planning to build my layout with RC battery power, so the lack of metal rails did not matter to me. Note that a electrically live version would be considerably more complex (read: expensive).

I have also made a start on a complete set of parts for Heywood flatcars and Decauville 40cm cars in O9 and I am researching dimensions for Fowler and Gregg Cane Cars in O9. If anyone has access to the Fowler archives at the Museum of English Life in Reading, I'd love to get a photographic image of the cane car pages from the 1883 Light Railways catalogue. I've been trying to get a photocopy from the library service, but most of the Fowler catalogues are apparently too fragile to copy. Still hoping the archivist comes up with something this time around...

I have another set of drawings I plan to upload for pricing shortly for a complete set of panels, corner pieces and piers for a cast iron 4'x4' panel water tank based on photographs and drawings of the tank still in existence at Hassel Island in the US Virgin Islands. It will be interesting to see what the new pricing structure gives for the full model as the old prices made it very expensive. The piers are cast separately in sandstone whereas the tank could be FUD or cheaper detail plastics.

Does anyone have detailed information on the locomotive water supply tanks offered by Fowlers? I have some detail on those offered by Ransomes and may make a CAD model of them soon as well.

Cheers,

Chris

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Does anybody expect contributions in this thread?

Without pictures or link most readers, including me, do not even know, what you are talking about. The links on Simon´s Homepage to Shapeways do not work. That is not very professional.

Found a link to some Decauville material:
http://fdelaitre.perso.sfr.fr/Mam.htm

And of course, the page of the Netherland Decauville Museum is a gold mine for Decauville pictures.

http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.decauville.nl%2F

Have Fun

Juergen

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:51 pm

KEG wrote: The links on Simon´s Homepage to Shapeways do not work. That is not very professional.
n

The link is working fine from here - click on the "My 3D printed models" or "direct from shapeways" links and it goes to Simon's page on shapeways?

Andy 8)

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:03 pm

OK, used a different server. Links work. Not very much in Gn15 / 1 : 24

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:10 pm

sorry there was a problem , but its just a standard link , so should always work.

Anyway, I am not really interested in doing any locos or wagons for Gn15. The size means they are not cheap, resin kits for wagons look cheaper, if available.
I am working on track items. Only pictures are those I either generate using CAD software or the Shapeways page.
Latest offering is a small wagon turntable, with different surrounding parts, ie small, big and giant stone surface.
Assuming the link works they are in the wagon turntable section.

Generated pictures here

The actual turntable is 48mm diameter, the surround are 67mm each side to fit setrack geometry. Plain topped turntable, plan to add wood type top as well.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 am

I have just designed both 9mm gauge and mixed gauge range of track panels to create tram track or inset track. To match existing panels, rail has to be code 100, but don't think that is a problem. Small stone version ideal for OO9, but might suit other scales.
Its only on view at my Shapeways website
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/recreation21?section=OO9+small+stone+track&s=0
I need to test some samples , but if they work then I intend to have both a larger stone version (G9?) and a plain version . I then want to look at a 12mm gauge version, and probably a triple gauge version.

There is also a dual gauge version with 16,5mm and 32mm gauges.(this uses the bigger stone pattern).

Prices are similar to those for existing 16.5mm gauge panels.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 am

just received test samples of turntables and mixed 32/16.5mm gauge track, both superb, so now all available to buy.
I am thinking of producing a 16.5mm gauge version of the bigger turntable, which might suit narrow gauge better.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:58 pm

Simon,

How about a mixed gauge turntable where one axis is 9mm and the other 16.5 :shock: . Should lead to some interesting shunting accidents :lol:

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 pm

:twisted: Yes I had thought about that idea. There isn't much room on the turntable, and 9mm gauge is a bit narrow to fit rail going at 90deg. Mind you gap is probably short enough to make it isolated.
Most people would probably not want locos going over turntable so wiring is not an issue, but it should be possible to out wire contacts under the turntable,so a loco can travel over turntable.
In most probabilities turntable would only ever turn 90 deg then back again, which would make mixed gauge easier.
I would be more likely to try a mixed gauge version with 32mm and 16.5mm gauges as there is more space to play around with.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”