In case this has escaped your notice....

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

In case this has escaped your notice....

Postby fatmac » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:32 pm

New (semi enclosed) modular baseboard design coming soon.......
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... xhorn-lane
Just Playing Trains!

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:18 pm

They look very interesting. I guess the main issue will be the price!

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:13 am

Good idea, I am not sure the materials are stronger than those in the APA box, which had a real wood frame. The only additional support I have added is the styrofoam to raise track level. The thin hardboard is very easy to cut with a craft knife.
I think these new boxes are designed to bolt together, again I prefer the gap between boxes.
It will be necessary to decorate the boxes as well, as they look like a 3D jigsaw, so it is not a complete alternative to the APA box.
I have used APA boxes at a few exhibitions and the store, transport and exhibit very well, and are lightweight and easy to carry. Contents inside boxes have also been well protected.
As I am not a member of RM Web, I can not post anything there, but I do think there are a number of better features on the APA box, in particular the ease of carrying. These new boxes have a lot of heavy material which will make them heavier. I have carried 3 APA boxes at a time, with no problem, except opening doors etc.
Some sort of frame at ends would make it easier to carry.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:10 pm

I am a member of RMWEB and have looked at the latest posts. They are addressing most points raised by Simon. I see they are open to suggestions as well so worth joining RMWEB and giving some input.

They are going to use 3mm MDF (Masonite) for everything except the baseboard which will be 6mm. I see they have the spaces for proper Pattern Maker Dowels in the end which is great.

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:30 am

They say they will be doing a plywood version as well, for more money.

The proposed sizes are for doing costings, & I have suggested a 4ft x 1ft 'micro', others are interested in this size also.
Just Playing Trains!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 am

Not sure if they have followed some of my ideas. No new comments on original thread.
The APA box had one big limitation, its size, but that was part of the fun. As a piece of furniture the APA box is better looking, so will get less negative comment at home.
The new box looks a bit over engineered, and possibly a bit too heavy. I am looking at an alternative to the APA box design myself for me , but using lightweight real wood for frame. Using hardboard to fill in gaps is not only lightweight but also easy to cut through. It acts more like a skin and then treat box like an open framework layout, building up levels with styrofoam.
If I could find a source of half inch thick would with a groove already cut I could start on new box now.
There are probably loads of people who will want these new boxes on offer, but before getting their hopes up would be nice to know rough price, as some here thought the APA box was a bit too pricey for them.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby fatmac » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:27 am

I have suggested cutting hand holds into the ends so that you can carry them easily.
Just Playing Trains!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Cut outs would help, but might interfere with interior scenery. A simple lip on outside is all that is needed. The lip on the APA box is only about 1cm.
I am not picking on problems ,as the box is a good idea, but comparisons were made with the APA box, suggesting the new box was a lot better. A lot of good points, but some things I am not so keen on.
Do really need to know how much they are going to be priced at.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 pm

I think the cost of transport may be more than an APA box!!
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Could keep weight, and cost of postage down, by designing a kit just for the framework, as most people can get hold of hardboard or ply to fill in the sides and base.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”