New low price Gn15 wagons

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Re: New low price Gn15 wagons

Postby KEG » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Thank you for the pictures. I get a basic idea of seize and proportion.
Are the models Shapeway 3-D printies or the new 5-Pund Cheapies?

Maybe a smple Tebee Gnatterbox Challenge 2015 would advertise and push sales.

Build a simple 3 wagon train with the new products.

Deadline Easter Sunday, 2015.

Readers from other forums all over the world can participate, but results should be presentet
in the pages of the Gnatterbox.

Have Fun

Juergen

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

These are the Shapeways ones.

The home printed cheapies are still a work in progress and will have some things simplified.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:36 am

Deadline is too soon, but I like the idea of the TBChallenge. :D

May Sept 1 or something?

I would need the TBCheapies. :D
Ken

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Finally got the somewhat simplified skip chassis to print in the stronger ABS material - the top surface still needs cleaning off in this example

To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Well I've now got enough of the skip chassis done decently to put some on ebay - I'm still getting close to 50% failure rate, but it's mostly minor problems now.

they are here at I think a very reasonable price - not forum member can have them cheaper !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On16-5-1-35-o ... 1580205067

Over the next week will get some bodies done to fit them and get those on ebay too.

Bodies will start from £2.25 for flats so I think we we do have some really low price wagons now.

Tom

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:49 pm

I think those are great Tom. All my extra pennies are going to RC stuff right now but I will need some ore cars.

So, what's the 'failed' frame look like? I wonder if some 'cheap' modeler could use them for something.
Ken

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:29 am

I'll get some photos of the failed ones up later - with the chassis they are mostly one end come lose during printing so it's curved downward slightly either one or both sides at the end. For the bodies they are mostly part complete ones that printing stopped part way through, so could be cut down to make lowsides or flats .

Some just fit for scenic use, but most usable with some work

I'm thinking of doing grab bags £15 for - 10 chassis or bodies or mixture of both that are usable or £5 for 10 item only fit for scenic use . I need to work out what postage will be - they introduced new regulations here this year which says you can't use letter post for packets more than 30mm thick. Unfortunately international parcel post is about 13 Euros minimum, as it goes up to 500 gram in the initial band so it makes it very expensive to send cheap light packets.

I'm going to try see if I can put these into a large flat padded envelope with minimal packing and stay under the 30mm limit.

Tom

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 am

I'll certainly be looking for both working and "scrap" chassis - and will be in touch soon once I've had a chance to read all of this thread.

Thanks for doing this.

Les
"Because I Can"

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:59 am

Tom,
it sounds like you are progressing, but it is also making me even more likely to stay with online printing. Simply not enough time to perfect 3D printing myself. The postage issue is not surprising, as something similar was done here in UK, except that international post seems to be cheaper. New changes are also in line with other parcels delivery companies and are based on size more than weight. This might only be a trial, as people in post office told me they were not certain if it would continue.
Grab bags and boxes of misprints would be popular at exhibitions though.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:52 am

here is a comparison of the Shapeways version of one of the wagons with a painted one from my printer

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 am

interesting comparison. One thing to remember is that the way to paint Shapeways models is different as the plastic sucks in so much liquid. Low cost matchpots of emulsion work better on the Shapeways plastic.
It will be interesting to see what the home printed versions look like when you are near to 100% success rate.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:12 pm

I wonder, how the platform boards on the left skp frame in the picture above are mounted to the frame. They seem to be floating in the air. Why aren´t they bolted directly to the frame?

Have Fun

Juergen

Trammer
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Industrial narrow gauge, mining

Postby Trammer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 pm

On a full size skip chassis the wheel flanges tend to sit above the top of the frame. If you bolted the decking directly to the frame without intermediate timbers the decking will foul on the flanges.
Rick Stewart

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:56 pm

The right skip does have timber between decking and frame. The left one hasn´t. The boards are floating in the air.
Besides that, Tebee is using wheels smaller than the skip´s frame.

Most Gn15 modellers and the 15 Inch prototypes use smaller wheels as to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

Have Fun

Juergen

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:44 pm

They are HO 33inch scale wheels which equates out to about 9 inch in 1:24 which is in turn about the smallest size you would find on a 15 inch gauge skips. I would really prefer 36inch HO ones but have exhausted my stock of that size.

15 inch gauge skips are almost all fairly small and that means they only carry a light load, which in turn lets the manufacturer use small wheels. 9 or 10 inch would be typical, even many of the small 2ft gauge skips only have 10 inch wheels.

As you correctly notice the Shapeways has nothing supporting the intermediate planks of the floor - it should have really, but I designed the body to be used with different width skip chassis, so would end up being wrong on some of those - one of the penalties of re-using design elements, so I left them out, the new version will only be made to fit this chassis so I took the opportunity to put them back in.

Tom

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 am

Well I'm finally both free of flu and mostly caught up with my various jobs. I've managed to get a decent stock of home printed skip based wagon bodies and chassis printed, so will be getting them onto ebay during the next week.

Prices are around £3 for a skip chassis and from £2 for a flat to £6.50 for the box bodies, but if anyone on here wants some you can contact me and I'll supply direct at 20% discount.

Picks will follow when I do them for the ebay listing.

Still not had a reply from my wheel supplier :(

Tom

Canuckflack
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: O-16.5, 1:35, industrial and rural narrow gauge

Postby Canuckflack » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi Tom.

I've just received one of your wagons as a Christmas present (someone read the "suggested presents" email I sent around!) Great detail, and I've just popped the 36" wheels in. I'll be ordering more from your shop in the new year!

Colin

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”