New low price Gn15 wagons

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

New low price Gn15 wagons

Postby tebee » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:04 pm

As a change from thinking about forums, taxes and fixing houses I decided to relax this afternoon and do some design work.

Many people have said with the Pepper 7 range being unobtainable at the moment it's going to be hard for people to get into Gn15, as there is so little else available. Well I've decided to try and do something about that.

Now my original range of Gn15 wagons was somewhat larger than Steve's Pepper 7 range as mine was meant to represent 18 in gauge stuff, rather his smaller 15 inch gauge. This was partly my personal preference and partly that I did not want to be splitting a very small market place with him.

But as his range is not available that doesn't really apply now and I thought I'd have a go to see if I could make 3-D printed wagons similar to his and for a similar price just to try to fill the current gap in the market. I've done this partly by making them smaller, partly by hollowing the frames out to minimize material, but also by cutting down my commission to 1-3$ per wagon to make them more affordable, so people do have some relatively low cost wagons to buy. When the Steve's range becomes available again I intend to increase the prices on these so I'm not stealing his market and I make a decent profit out of them.

To find these do this search http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=gn15+small It will give you a few other peoples items as well, Shapeways search is rather poor unfortunately. This is a sample :-

http://shpws.me/zVSI

The suggested wheels are Proto 2000 36" HO ones. These are metal and very free running, but most OO or HO wheels will fit as long as the flanges are not too big. They will take Kadee couplings and I'm working on a couple of simple couplers to fit as well.

As always, let me know what you think folks !

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Uncle Tel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 0.16.5 & GN15

Re: New low price Gn15 wagons

Postby Uncle Tel » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi

The image shows a slot for a coupling, will a kadee fit, and is it at the standard height as per the kadee coupling jig

Many thanks

Eltel

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15 and model trams

Postby johna » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Great idea Tom. Couple of questions for you

1. I do not use kadee, just simple pin and chain so will there be an option to fit this type of coupler box.

2. How do you order from "Shapeways" and I see their prices are in Euros not pounds,

John

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Yes it takes a Kadee no 5 box or similar with the bits on the side cut off. It should work out the right hight, although that depends on the size of wheels used. I''ll see if I have a photo of my test ones from before, if not will take some tomorrow.

At the moment I'm working on two possible link and pin type couplings, which will fit in the hole instead of a Kadee one. One is a curved block with a pin in it like the ones I did for O9, other is a version of these to fit in slot - http://shpws.me/wd9V

You pay direct to Shapeways with Paypal - this automatically lets you pay a Euro amount with a Sterling bank card.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks for doing this Tom. I'm off to browse the selection. I use link and pin couplers or homemade stuff. I should be OK. :)

OK, a question...

Wouldn't this bolster wagon work for logs, connecting two of them with a long 'rooster'?

Ken

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:41 am

Yes it would, though it's UK style rather than US really, if you changed the swivelling bolster it would look much more like the ones used on your side of the pond though.......

More ideas...

Tom

Uncle Tel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 0.16.5 & GN15

Postby Uncle Tel » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Me again

Thanks for getting back with my Kadee question.

Does 6ft chassis also accommodate a kadee ?

What are the dimensions of the 6ft chassis (length & width)

What is the uk price £ And P&P ?

Thanks

Uncle Tel / Eltel

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby johna » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:39 am

tebee wrote:
At the moment I'm working on two possible link and pin type couplings, which will fit in the hole instead of a Kadee one. One is a curved block with a pin in it like the ones I did for O9, other is a version of these to fit in slot - http://shpws.me/

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for the info. Please let me know whenever you have the link and pin couplings for sale then I can order the wagons in one lot.

John

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:46 am

very gNice.
The Shapeways page gives the dimensions of the models.
For wheels , I have found care has to be taken with my own designs with flange touching bottom of wagon when I wasn't using finescale ones. Weight is also something to take into account as they are a lot lighter than resin. Length of axle is also important, something that had not occurred to me with some 12mm gauge wagons I bought. Luckily problem was easy to solve. It has been a bigger issue with some of my own wagons coping with oddities of narrow gauge modelling(eg O14, O16.5).
One advantage I have found with this plastic is ability to stick card/paper and wood to it using cheap superglue. This could be useful for those wanting to use simple pin and hook homemade couplings.
Shapeways also say, it is not too late to order for Christmas, but I would add a warning that processing time can be dependent on size of order. It also might be different for other countries.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:47 am

Tom, you have a very interesting online shop !
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/tebee
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:16 am

Chris18 wrote:Tom, you have a very interesting online shop !
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/tebee

Feel free to browse !

Unlike many other scales almost all HO and OO wheelsets use a standard axle length - 25.5 mm from memory. There are a few exceptions - Lima being the main one. I suggest the Proto 2000 wheels because they have a good flange profile, are a little smaller than most OO wheels ( 10.5 mm diameter). run exceedingly well and are relativity heavy. I used them in my test Gn15 chassis and found they ran fine with these wheels and no additional weight. When I can find one - this mornings search failed to locate any - I'll weigh them and take a photo - this is one from 3 and a half years ago.

I've got the couplings finished I'll show them in the next post

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:45 am

Link and Pin couplings to fit my Gn15 wagons ( or any other for that matter !)

Two types . Both come 12 to a sprue to keep costs down

A metal Bracket type http://shpws.me/A0tv

A wood buffer coupler http://shpws.me/zY7R

The metal type can either have a link inserted in the middle and held by a removable pin or a fixed pin and the link dropped over the top.

The wood type can have either a removable or fixed pin with the link dropped over the top.

The pin can either be a length of metal rod ( about 1.5mm diameter for a fixed one, 1.2 or less for a removable one) or one of these ones I do ( 12 arranged around a central sprue ) http://shpws.me/A0FC

Alternatively you can use this two pins plus captive three link chain arrangement I originally did for my 1:32 and On16.5 skips ( again 8 arranged around a central sprue) http://shpws.me/A0Fr

If you need anything more explaining please ask.

Tom

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby johna » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:04 pm

Tom,

Order now placed so we will see if they arrive before Christmas.

John

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Chris18 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Maybe a strange question:
Do you have a view of this locomotive chassis seen from below? Thanks.

Chris

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Like this - it's hollow

Fullscreen capture 16122014 190326.bmp.jpg
Fullscreen capture 16122014 190326.bmp.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 2516 times

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Chris18 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 am

Many thanks Tom. It's very helpful.
Chris

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:55 pm

I have done a bit of revision to the design as I realised I could incorporate the wooden buffer/coupler and a couple of the coupler pins on sprues under the wagon and only increase the cost by less that 20p per wagon . So people now get a complete wagon, apart from wheels.

This is what it looks like -

Tom

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:11 am

Cleaver idea of integrating the wooden buffer/coupler and a couple of the coupler pins on sprues!

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Chris18 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:02 am

Very good idea !
Chris

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Chris18 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:37 am

tebee wrote:I have done a bit of revision to the design as I realised I could incorporate the wooden buffer/coupler and a couple of the coupler pins on sprues under the wagon and only increase the cost by less that 20p per wagon . So people now get a complete wagon, apart from wheels.

This is what it looks like -

Tom

Could you make the same thing for all your locos ?
Chris

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:41 pm

good idea Tom. I think the 'part count' changes Shapeways made have actually made us design better models. When the changes came in I looked through my designs and modified some, but it wasn't worth it for some. Easier ith new models at initial design stage.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:40 pm

The problem I have with the new pricing system is working out what constitutes the "machine space" part of the new pricing scheme.

The reason I've not added those parts to the wagon chassis without a floor or the loco chassis, is that it increases the machine space considerably, adding over 1$ to the price, which is more than the cost of the parts on their own. Indeed adding parts under the floor, but it the centre of the wagon, rather than at the ends, increases the price notably too.

I can only assume that, contrary to what Shapeways said, the machine space calculation is making some allowance for the hollow inside these models, and putting something in there causes it to be counted as chargeable space.

Tom

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Chris18 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for these infos.
Chris

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:28 am

Tom, have you asked Shapeways for an explanation, as I did see some questioning of the prices and Shapeways admitting their software was making incorrect calculations. It may have been more to do with incorrect part counting, but they might have a similar problem on volume calculation, as what you say does not tally with what they are claiming. As you know software does get bugs in it , quite a lot of the time.
I have not had a look on their forum recently as it was not really saying anything positive, but have noticed there appears to be Shapeways people on other railway forums.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:22 am

No. I've not contacted them - mainly because I don't want to revise this again and change the price of everything ! I'm sure any changes will not be in our favour and I've still only repriced 500 out of the 2000 items from the last price change. I just did the most popular items and those with very poor margins.

One of my jobs over Christmas is going to be sitting down and repricing the rest - it's impacting my bottom line, I sold more items last month, but made 20% less.

The only way to find out what the machine space used is, seems to be uploading it - I ended up trying 7 or 8 different versions of the wagons with the added bits before I settled on one that I thought was most likely to be accepted for printing without adding too much to the cost.

When I'm feeing bored sometime I intend Adding a slate wagon and some US style wagons to the mix.

Tom

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”