Where to buy wheels?

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Where to buy wheels?

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:18 am

I want to build a string of ore cars, some logging disconnects, flat cars, etc. Where can I buy wheels? I have lots of ordinary HO bogies, but I want larger diameter wheels for most of this work.
Ken

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling small industrial prototypes in 3/8n20.

Re: Where to buy wheels?

Postby csundstr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:32 am

Here in North America, try On30 (or regauged On3) wheelsets from any of the following:

Foothill Model Works
Grandt Line
Northwest Shortline
Intermountain
San Juan Car Co.
Bachmann

You can also try re-gauging wheelsets from Northwest Shortline in their G Scale or O Scale (standard gauge) lines, although the axles will need to be cut to length or replaced with shorter ones.

All of the companies above have websites and online catalogs, and most of them are available from either Caboose Hobbies, Walthers or your local hobby store. Most of them are offered separate from the trucks, usually in sets of four. Unfortunately they are nowhere near as reasonably priced as HO scale wheelsets in most cases, but they generally offer much better detail. Metal wheelsets are good for adding weight while the plastic wheelsets are usually really smooth running. I have used all but the Intermountain wheelsets, but have seen the latter running on friend's layouts.

Most of the On3/On30 "scale" wheels are either 26" or 33" (O scale) in diameter, which works out to roughly 13" to 16.5" diameter wheels in 1:24 scale, pretty close to the range typically used in many minimum gauge applications.

If you want to order from Europe (especially for spoked or pierced designs), I have had great experience with KBScale wheels (I actually have some in the mail right now), and have heard good things about Romford...I have some 20+ year old Romford drivers, but only one lonely axle of a spoked wheel (leftovers from a model show grab bag). Perhaps some the European community can offer suggestions for this market?

Hope this helps.

Chris
Chris Sundstrom
Keen Eye Models - Industrial Prototypes in 1/24, 1/32 and 1/43 Scales
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/keeneye?sort=name&s=0

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:55 am

What size diameter are you thinking off? Hornby certainly do 14mm diameter wheels. I have fitted Hornby and Bachmann wheels in USA HO bogies, with no problems. Some continental wheels have slightly shorter axles.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:55 pm

If you want bigger wheels them 12mm +14.1 diameter ones are available in UK from Bachmann and Hornby

I've used Hattons - used to be one of my local shops and they seem good at exporting.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/products/categ ... -wheelsets

http://www.hattons.co.uk/products/Searc ... erm=wheels

I do question whether you need them that big, often industrial stock had fairly small wheels and on 15 inch gauge 10 inch wheels were common.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'll check them out. I did order some loose wheels from Ozark Miniatures last night. Some with axle hole and some without. We will see how those turn out.

I have an ore car from the Anaconda Copper company. They built the entire thing, including casting the wheels and other cast parts in their shops. The wheels on it are 13.5" on the 'big end' (flange side) and 11.5" on the other side. I also have one loose 1:1 wheel and it measures the same although it is from some other (unknown) maker.

So, something about that size is what I'll chase down.
Ken

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Isn't that at 22 inch gauge line? It all depends on that you are trying to use Gn15 to represent I suppose.

Wheels are normally measured over the tread not the flange so that is probably a worn down 12 inch wheel, so around 13mm would be a decent representation in 1:24 G scale

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Well, this is neat! I was browsing the Bachmann site and came across the little motor units I got from them. They are now out of stock, but it made me think of my parts box of old locomotives. So, I dug all the old locos out and did an inventory of what's there. Seems that the HO diesel loco wheels are 9/16" in diameter... that's 13.5" in my scale! Hooah...

I had purchased 4 of the motor units and two of them are in my Little Mine loco and the other critter in the pic. I came up with 12 power units and enough non-powered trucks to supply wheels for 6 more cars. Some of the plastic wheels (all are either steel on both sides or plastic on one side and brass on the other) are in poor shape so I may lose a few. But the axle hole is the same size. Also, some of the power units may pull too much power or not work. I haven't tested any but the Bachmann tall ones for current draw. Any that don't work will contribute their wheels to the cause too.

I'm going to snoop eBay for dead locos or non powered dummy locos... sometimes nobody wants them. More wheels!

Here's the stash.

Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Yep that looks like a fine collection. So far, the only things that I have that run better than the little Bachmann units are the trolley motor unit and the newly repaired Gas Mechanical. Oh yeah, there is this old Grantline Porter that literally has 80 to 1 gearing. It is the best runner I have.
David(doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Feed the search machine of this Forum with "wheels" and you´ll get 59 pages with results.
But we can alway re-invent the wheel every day.

For Gn15 models I like them with a certain Light Railway (Feldbahn) look. e.G. these Curly Spoke types http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/products-new/4569521214/gibson-curly-spoke-wheel-sets/4105659

Have Fun

Juergen

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:49 pm

Tom, the Anaconda car I have is 19" gauge. I've seen all sorts of gauges, seems every miner made up his own. I'll measure some next trip into the underground. :D I do have a wooden gauge stick made out of what appears to be an axe handle. I'll try to find that and measure it too.

What I meant about the measurements I made is that the 1:1 wheels I have are the same "size" as the HO scale locomotive wheels I have. That is, both are 13.5" OD at the flange in their respective scales.

The eBay attack last night was successful in a way; I won 3 little HO scale 'steam' dock engines. Now I'll have some steam running gear to play with.
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:01 am

Wheels topic makes contact with something I am wanting to do, which is put slightly larger diameter wheels on aModel Power Hustler mechanism to get a "look" I want.
I don't feel good and just got back from a panicked run to the laundromat before winter storm hist tonight and next couple days, so the dimensional numbers aren't in my head at this moment; but I am looking for wheels about 2, 3, 4 at most, millimeters greater in diameter - hopinig for something which will be a simple press fit on existing axle.

Been a long time sonce I've worked on the G scale because of putting effort and resources in to our little club's HO modular layout. But, man, I am feeling the need to get back to making progress on my G.

Sure seems a lot of the time that wheels and such are much more easily acquired in UK than here in US because the "way" people go about modeling is somewhat different. And, I suppose, there are things here in US which are more commoinly obtainable than in UK, for same reason.
But, yes, I do suffer from a case of "wheel envy" :lol: :mrgreen:

later, Forrest
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Have a look at http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com and check what is available in the 4mm scale wheels. The loco bogie and tender wheels mostly use a 2mm diameter axle so there may be something that you could use. I am not sure if they export, so try sending them an email once you have decided what you need.
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”