Tebee´s Shapeways Designs

A section for our lovely Gn15 manufacturers to plug their latest releases and for the rest of us to post our wish lists. Don't be shy.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Tebee´s Shapeways Designs

Postby KEG » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:49 pm

I was hoping one of the hundreds of customer would write in here about their experiences with the new Tebee designs. Either there aren´t any or they are simply too lazy to contribute to this forum.

Last weekend I got my fingers on a few parts. I liked the idea of a complete kit, including buffers and coupling pin. I put 13,5 disc. wheels under it. Don´t know the maker. Probably Rolf Tonner / Hamburg.

The model I got seems to have a similiar footprint as the small Steve Bennett wagons.

I must admit, I am not very much impressed. The model has very small axle boxes, very thin end walls, no details indicating how the frame is bolted together or how the end wall boards are fixed. The protypes had hammerhead bolts.
The model looks much more like 1 : 35 than Gn15 (1: 24).

So I took a longer Tebee wagon frame, 32 x 66 mm, put it on 14,1 mm Hornby wheels, mounted Tebee link and pin coupling pockets and plenty of small OZARK Nut and Washer castings.

Built a deck and end walls from 2 mm Balsa wood:

Looks good behind the Steve Bennett DECADE diesel locomotive plus a S.B. waggon.

While I was at it, I fumbled around with a Tebee skip frame as well.

Used Gibson Curly Spoke wheels, 12mm dia. this time.

The deck was made from 2mm Balsa softwood again plus some larger matches fixed with OZARK N & W bolts again.

The wood was primed with Soja Sauce, sometimes I use Italian red Balsamico vinegar, and dusted with dark grey colour pigments and slightly sanded at the edges.

I am not sure, if I can recommend these 3-D prints. For railroaders using very small rolling stock and who do not care too much for details, they are probably OK. If you plan to spent a lot of time and money for extra detailing, you might as well get you some stripwood plus detail parts and built your own.

Have Fun

Juergen

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Re: Tebee´s Shapeways Designs

Postby lesmond » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 pm

Juergen, thanks for this comprehensive report.

I'm intending to buy some of these fairly soon, and its always good to have advance knowledge of what to expect.

Les
"Because I Can"

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Moderator hat on for a mo: As suggested, I have split this topic so that those those who wish to comment in general terms about Shapeways, kit building scratchbuilding etc may now do so over in Blether where, I suspect, that conversation may fit more happily.

Thanks guys,

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Forgot to mention. These very small 3-D prints come out very light and need some additional weight to stay on the track.
Most Gn15 wagon need this.

I used sheet lead on the left model and soldering wire around the axle on the right one. The right one, slightly larger, is designed by someone else at the Shapeways catalogue.

The model with the thin endwalls is used at the local botanical garden at the moment.

But it seems, the Toeffelholm library will aquire it for book transport inside their premises.

Have Fun

Juergen

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 am

Thanks for the tip on ballast. I hadn't thought of the solder around the axle trick.
Ken

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Just to answer the thin planking point - they are fairly thin often on the prototype - I just noticed these photos posted in the link in this topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10244

Just look how thin the end planks are - there also appears to be an unprototypical gap between the floor and the frame on one wagon.

To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:57 pm

An one inch thick piece of wood would be 1mm in model. It might look thin, but I have cut up a lot of floorboards which were about that thickness. It would be a waste of wood and money to use anything thicker unless it was absolutely necessary.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:21 am

but I have cut up a lot of floorboards which were about that thickness

Well, how much 1 : 1 fifteen Inch Gauge rolling stock have you built so far? http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7190&p=90217&hilit=Heywood+Stock#p90217

BTW, the end walls of the above wagon model are much less than 1 mm thick.

Have Fun

Juergen

bahnindianer
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narro Gauge Gn 15 / Photograph

Postby bahnindianer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:59 am

Hello,

please have a look to the copywright in the future.

The two fotos with the hore-driven-cars are from my website http://www.bahnindianers-bilderbuecher.de and they are under cpywright of a friend of mine. If anybody will use pictures from my website in the future so plese make sure that the copywright is showed to everybody in the was like these: "pictures from website http://www.bahnindianers-bilderbuecher.de" or do a direct link to my site.

For these two pictures tebee will have the permission to show this pictures here. I'll gave it after the pictures are shown. But for the future please anybody asc me before taking pictures from my website. Thats not because i'm a bad guy, that's why not all pictures on my website are taken by meyself and some people gave me those pictures only for usimg on my site. In case og the two pictures the photografer died a few days ago and we can't asc him and all his original-slides are here in my home.

For all futures there are two ways to show pictures: ask me please before someone will use it and you can use pictures directly in a post (like here) or the second way is set a link to my website with the picture. Please check the link by testing it with the preview. The links in tebees reply dosn't work.

I have a lot respect for all the thing tebee designed for us and i have also bougth some of his parts from shapeway but i cant take this for free . i have to pay like anybody else and i will do this in this way for the future. Please anybody have the same kind of respect from that what i did on my site. Respect means please ask me befor using or set a direct link to my site.

Sorry, but these words must be written. Using things without permissing which belongs not to you cant give a lot of trouble to the peaople where you tokk it from. Please do not misunderstod this reply. Everybody get any permission from me but some times i am not allowed to give this, for example in case of the pictures from Athene. And not you are the reciver of the (pictures)ownres bad vibration, it's me.

Whith best wishes from Germany

George

Please excuse in any way my "german-english"

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:04 am

relating to above, I could start a new thread.
If anyone wants to show any of my pictures, please feel free to do so as I am more interested in what the pictures show than the actual picture.I tend to use my own website to post pictures which I pay for and most pictures can usually be seen on Google Images anyway. I like to help other people, not hinder them.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

bahnindianer
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narro Gauge Gn 15 / Photograph

Postby bahnindianer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:20 pm

My own pictures or those where i am the owner of all rights can also used by anybody in any way he want to use it at gnatterbox. But sorry, i can speak only for my photos. And on my website is a declaration to any post where pictures come from.

It was no bad intention to wright about copywright of my pictures. It was egoistic but to my protection. And everybody can set a direct link to my homepage without asking and none of the picturesowners can do anything against this. His pictures don't left my sites. I did not want to grumble anybody. It was only to protect websiteowners including me.

If I should have insulted someone or wrongly suspected ask I many times for apology. Thas was not my intention.

George

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi George,

If I may put my moderator hat on for a moment...

You are quite right to mention the copyright on your pictures. As you seem happy to leave them up I won't suggest we do anything different. Please let me know if you change your mind.

As a general guideline I suspect it is best, and certainly safest, if people only put up photos that they have the copyright to. Want to show something else, as for example, in this case? Put in a link so that whoever reads the post has to click on it and go off outside the Gnatterbox.

Thanks for your kind attention. Normal service is now resumed. Any more discussions on copyright to be held over in Blether if you please.

Thanks chaps,

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:18 am

It seems, I am still the only one in here, whoever bought andplayed around with Tebee´s Gn15 3-D.Designs.

Just pulled them out, because I need them for an exibition in Germany next weekend. To demonstrate possibilities offered at the presen market.
The market is very small.

Piled 13 Pola beer crates plus a guard on one of them. A wine or beer barrel on the other one. The small loco is a Thomas A. Yorke product (kit)

Have Fun

Juergen

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Not strictly true Juergen, bought one of Tebee's first offerings just to see what finish was like. I just painted it. At exhibitions I used to demonstrate its durability by throwing it on floor where it bounced. Obviously no power unit fitted. Now unlikely to model anything anymore as sight has gone, not entirely can still drive BUT can't see well enough to cut things accurately.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Some time ago, clumsy fool that I am, I dropped one of my original Gn15 Skip chassis on the floor and , in going to pick it up, managed to step on it with all my 100kg or so of weight.

It bent the pinpoint ends of the axles , but did not break !

These have sold, but not in huge numbers, probably about 2 or 3 a month on average. Give that I make about 1 euro each on them, I'm now probably about 25 euros richer - so I can afford one more bolt for the new yacht - don't think I'm going to be sailing away it to the sunset for a while yet.

Incidentally I measured the thickness of the timber on the Heywood top at Ravenglass - it was 40mm - an inch and a half . So in 1:24 that would be 1.6mm So my wagons probably are a little thin.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Return to “Trade tittle-tattle”